Jan 15 -22 Mariner of the Seas Review -

I will echo what you and Riofriotex said about the demographics on our January cruise. Hardly any kids. No banging on doors, no hogging the hot tubs, no pressing all the elevator buttons :p:D We too loved our Victor Bodden tour. We had Joani, also for 4 of us and we were able to go and see whatever we wanted at our leisure.

We almost booked a Thanksgiving cruise, then decided that the ship would just be back from Europe - the crew would be new, the workers in Galveston would be new - and we really enjoyed the relaxation AFTER the holidays. Our biggest challenge was avoiding all of the scooters in the hallways. Last month I really thought we were on a seniors cruise! We did enjoy the silent hallways, empty hot tubs and plenty of lounge chairs, which is why we booked it again. We thought about the alternate itinerary, but have read so many mixed reviews that we decided to tick with this itinerary, as we really enjoyed all 3 stops. We even got the same aft balcony cabin again! I never got the invite to our meet and greet on our cruise, so hopefully I will get one on the upcoming cruise!

T-Bone, Did you talk with anyone who did go to Bannister Island? We wanted to go but have read a few unfavorable things on the Belize boards.

JD

Those that I talked to said it was ok unless you went on a holiday, spring break cruise or a cruise with lots of families on that excursion. The ship just keeps shuttling people over, and the water gets cloudy when too many people are swimming, which kind of defeats the purpose of snorkeling in the crystal clear water of Belize. Those on our cruise had nothing but positive things to say about it.

Terry, ya'll were so fortunate the weather was so good...boohoo. Did nobody mention Goff's Caye which is where we were booked and had to cancel. Guess we'll just have to go again soon:D

goffs was one of the places that people were loving. There was a bunch of us talking down in the schooner bar afterwards - so my memory is a little fuzzy. The only negative things we heard about Belize was from those who just hung out in the port. If you go to Belize, please get out and see something!

Thank you for a fantastic review, one of the best I ever read and the pictures were also great. We will be going on the Mariner transatlantic in May. Do you know if the dining room was open for lunch on embarkation? Prefer eating there than at the buffet.

Thank you for a fantastic review, one of the best I ever read and the pictures were also great. We will be going on the Mariner transatlantic in May. Do you know if the dining room was open for lunch on embarkation? Prefer eating there than at the buffet.

The dining room is typically not open for lunch the first day. Never has been in my experiences.

Only 2 choices for lunch the first day - the buffet or sandwiches and pizza at the Promenade cafe on the 5th deck.

Would you happen to know where the nightly diamond event was held?

On the January 22-29 cruise, Diamond+ was in the CL and Diamond in the Lotus lounge down on Deck 5.

Weren't many Diamond+ on that cruise so there was room in the CL with only a few chairs bought out at peak times. Never went to the Lotus so I can't report on that.

Tucker in Texas

Day 6 Cozumel

We awoke to another great sunrise pulling into Cozumel.

Sunrise in Cozumel

DSCN5509.jpg

The Allure is huge compared to the Mariner

IMG_1414.jpg

The Allure was docking as we were pulling getting close – what a huge ship that is.

As we circled towards the pier, Captain Per slowed the ship, then spun it 180’ using the thrusters, and backed the ship into the pier. I have a time-lapse movie of the arrival here:

That’s my wife waving from our 9th floor balcony

IMG_1419.jpg

We headed out to Chakanaub park to swim with the Dolphins. I had checked the Dolphin Discovery site often, as I heard they run a lot of one day specials. Sure enough, on Halloween they had a buy 1 get the 2nd for a penny. So I signed all 4 of us up for the price of 2. What a great day.

Dolphins071.jpg

Dolphins005.jpg

Dolphins092.jpg

After we were done swimming with the dolphins and Manatee’s, we headed into Senor Frogs for some food and much needed refreshments.

DSCN5553.jpg

Time to head back to the ship with our new headwear!

DSCN5570.jpg

One of the street artists had a great sign!

DSCN5567.jpg

DSCN5572.jpg

The dining room is typically not open for lunch the first day. Never has been in my experiences.

Only 2 choices for lunch the first day - the buffet or sandwiches and pizza at the Promenade cafe on the 5th deck.

Sorry to hear that. Haven't been on RCCL for awhile but know DR is open on Princess & NCL, so much more relaxing especially on embarkation

As it gets closer to departure time – the International pier gets pretty busy with passengers trying to make it back to the ship before it leaves. We sat out on the balcony and watched the race to make the ship!

We pulled out of Cozumel and headed back towards Galveston. Here is a great time lapse of the departure and sunset leaving Cozumel.

Yet another great sunset.

IMG_0089.jpg

Time to dress up for the 2nd formal night!

DSCN5614.jpg

Day 6 menu – Friday – 2nd formal night

Appetizers

Eggplant and Kalamata Olive Tartare

Seafood Salad

Creamed Wild Mushrooms in Puff Pastry

Cream of Asparagus

Double Duck Consomme

Roasted Peach Soup

Caesar Salad

House Salad

Entrees

Thai BBQ Chicken Breast

New England Bay Scallops and Ziti

Fisherman's Plate

Slow-Roasted Aged Prime Rib

Greek-Style Vegetable Moussaka

Kabuli Chana

Desserts

Dessert Sampler

Cherries Jubilee

Low-Fat Double Passion Fruit Cheesecake

Sugar-Free Red Berry Tart

Another great towel creation

IMG_0102.jpg

Day 7 – Saturday - Last day at sea

The last day is always a little sad. In order to minimize the last day depression, we pretty much packed before breakfast. We left out an outfit for dinner, which would fit in our rolling suitcase, and the rest was packed. With that out of the way, we headed up for breakfast, and then found a few lounge chairs to relax in for the rest of the day. The poolside cooking demo was “making Spanish Paella”. It was fantastic – and we didn’t even have to go in for lunch!

The Men’s International bellyflop competition was quite entertaining. I’ve got to hand it to them – they’ve got guts! Kiren – the cruise director- was entertaining all week. We spent the afternoon listening to music by the pool played by Vybes 4. It started getting chilly around 4:30 (73’) so we headed inside for a pre-dinner cocktail.

Day 7 menu

Appetizers

Moroccan-Spiced Chicken Salad

Shrimp Cocktail

Spinach Dip

Cream of Pumpkin

Onion Soup

Chilled Raspberry and Pineapple Soup

Caesar Salad

Entrees

Shrimp and Mahi Mahi Tempura

Potato Gnocchi

Roasted Turkey

Grilled NY Strip Steak

Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Calzone

Paneer Makhani

Desserts

Chocolate Brownie Sandwich

Key Lime Pie

Banana and Crunchy Nut Parfait

Low-Fat Apple Cake

Sugar-Free Key Lime Pie

We ate at Portofino’s, I figured we might as well end the trip with some gourmet food! It was incredible. They made me a special order seared tuna steak with a special butter sauce. The whole family enjoyed it, and the desserts are incredible

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

We missed the farewell show, as we were still eating dinner at 7:45. After we finished, we moved down to the Schooner bar and listened to some rocking piano – then moved all the way up to Ellington’s to listen to some Jazz. We were pretty tired, so we ended up going back and

Just sat out on the balcony and listened to the waves.

Our Last Towel creation!

DSCN5619.jpg

Sunday Debarkation...

We woke up Sunday morning to the sound of fog horns! I walked out on the balcony and could not see anything past the back of the ship. We obviously were not in Galveston! We were not moving either. The Captain announced that we were 2 hours away from the terminal, and that it would be a while, so we should all just grab breakfast and relax in our staterooms.

The famous Galveston fog. This is actually about 9:30 AM as it started to lift.

IMG_1463.jpg

Now you can all say that you've seen it!

T-Bone, My wife and I have reservations for the Manatee swim in Cozumel. Were the manatees as much fun as the dolphins? Is there a changing room to put on dry clothes there at the park?

Thank you for one of the best reviews I have ever read. We are 16 days from the Mariner.

T-Bone, My wife and I have reservations for the Manatee swim in Cozumel. Were the manatees as much fun as the dolphins? Is there a changing room to put on dry clothes there at the park?

Thank you for one of the best reviews I have ever read. We are 16 days from the Mariner.

We were on Voyager in Feb 2011 and went to Cozumel. I use a Pride mobility scooter that breaks down into 5 parts. I can walk short distances and climb a few stairs if necessary. DH, DD and I had independently scheduled a Swimming with the Manatees at Chankanaab Park. When we got off the ship, the crowds were pretty thick getting in the Taxi Lines so DH had to run interference for me so we wouldn't get seperated. There are two lines, one for handicapped assistance on the right so bypass the longer line and head for that one. They contacted a van with a wheelchair lift. We had to wait a few minutes (not too long) and I just rode the scooter onto the lift. Wasn't the most comfortable ride in the world (I remember having to bend a little and keep my head down) but it worked out OK. I was very worried that I would not be able to do the Manatee swim but it worked out GREAT. The immediate area around the entrance is nicely paved and they even let me ride the scooter all the way out to where the steps led down into the Manatee enclosure. I sucked it up and took my time and managed the steps into the water. I'm sure if you are able to be lifted down the steps that the attendents there will be glad to help. It was the most FABULOUS experience of my life. They are so gentle - just like big old slobber dogs (Saint Bernards):) At one time all three were pushing against me and I had to push them out of the way. Hey, Take your turn!! They love the lettuce you are feeding them and they would roll over on their backs so you could give them a belly rub. Loved giving them slobber kisses and hugs. I have never done the dolphin encounter but I know that we had more free time just swimming with the Manatees at a much lower price and less people since it was just me, DH, and DD. There were a few other areas that I could access on the scooter. We didn't try doing the beach or any other water activities but had the Taxi attendent call for a lift Van and went to a local off the beaten path restaurant and had the same taxi pick us up at a predetermined time and went back to the ship. Great day!

And yes, they have a very nice, large modern bathroom/shower with lockers.

Hope you try the Mantatee - they are fabulous!

manatee.jpg

They were completely different - but both are fun. the Dolphins are more interactive, and a lot faster. Our Manatee swim was only 5 minutes at the end of our excursion! the manatees are in the same holding area as a few Nurse Sharks. As mentioned above, they have free lockers, showers, and changing rooms.

Here is the video we took that day.

http://youtu.be/AHdD0FFTg2A

Picture31.png

When we did our dolphin swim they took us to get in with the manatee after. I didn't know this was gona happen and didn't pay to do it. I have a feeling our guide just slipped us in with the Royal swim people. It was so cool though and I was so glad I got to do it. My camera was out and I got no pics!

At about 9:00 AM, Our cruise Director made a few announcements, and they basically had a whole morning worth of activities you could do. Shuffleboard tournament, ice-skating, etc. I guess they have been delayed enough times that they have figured out a “Sunday Fog” plan! We ate, then went ice skating, then wandered around the ship looking at places we had missed during the week. I know those on the 1/22-29 cruise were inconvenienced – but I actually enjoyed the extra hours on the ship.

The fog started to lift around 9:00. That's the Carnival Magic.

IMG_1460.jpg

We enjoyed our "Fog delay" ice skating session!

100_0351.jpg

Really enjoyed reading your review and see that you got to enjoy every minute of it, even the last couple of hours of delay of disembarkation:) Glad to see that the Mariner crew had its act together and had nice activities planned instead of just letting you sit around waiting for the fog to lift. I give them an A+, hope we have the same crew on our trip.

Really enjoyed reading your review and see that you got to enjoy every minute of it, even the last couple of hours of delay of disembarkation:) Glad to see that the Mariner crew had its act together and had nice activities planned instead of just letting you sit around waiting for the fog to lift. I give them an A+, hope we have the same crew on our trip.

We really want to take the TA to Rome for our 20th anniversary in 2014. They usually switch the crew and entertainment - I'm not sure if it's before or after the TA. I'll definitely read up on some reviews to see. Have a fabulous vacation!

Archived