Best way to get to Trunk Bay with small kids

odyzander

Curious as to best and cheapest route to get to Trunk Bay with small kids. I know on some islands they do not charge for lap kids in taxis and ferries. Would it just be easier to rent a car and stay on St Thomas. Suggestions appreciated:D

It might be easier and either cheaper or not much more, to do the ship tour to St John.

The easiest and most kid-friendly beach is Emerald Beach which is not too far outside "town." Check the reviews and photos and maybe you'll decide to stay on St Thomas!

Curious as to best and cheapest route to get to Trunk Bay with small kids. I know on some islands they do not charge for lap kids in taxis and ferries. Would it just be easier to rent a car and stay on St Thomas. Suggestions appreciated:D

My wife and I and are 3 children have gone over to Trunk Bay several times. It's beautiful but not cheap. Even on your own, it will set you back about $200 for 5 people. $100 RT taxi to Red Hook. $30 each way from Cruz Bay to Trunk, plus the ferry cost and entrance fee to the beach, food, drinks, and chair rentals,etc. A ship excursion might not be much more, but you'll get a lot more beach time on your own schedule plus the safari taxi/ferry rides are enjoyable and part of the adventure. Keep in mind that even if you stay on St Thomas, you'll still be paying $10/person each way if you go to any of the beaches such as Sapphire or Megans. Is it worth going to Trunk? I think so especially if you get over there early and get to experience a couple hours of the place before the crowds build.

Sorry, to answer your question better, if your kids are small enough to sit on your laps, I don't think they would get charged on the taxis. However, I wouldn't sit on the outside seat of a safari taxi with a kid in my lap. I'm nervous about having my camera fly out of my hands sometimes on those things. As for renting a car, we did this once at a port and it sucked. You waste so much time picking up and dropping off the car. In the Caribbean, I just want to relax. Driving in traffic, finding a gas station, worrying about the car getting broken into, and not being able to have a few beers on the beach all made it not worth it even if we saved some bucks.

If you are taking the ferry over to St John remember that they run on the hour so plan accordingly. If you get there at 10:15 you will have to wait til 11:00 for the next ferry.

If I were with small children I would plan this so there is not alot of waiting time.

We've rented a car on St. Thomas and drove to Coki beach. It wasn't very expensive or that time-consuming as we walked to the rental agency from the pier.

However.... I would not do it again, especially with kids. If you do rent a car, make sure you first look up the laws, rules of the road and customs of any island that you rent a car. Get tips for what to do if there is an accident, or if the car breaks down, where to find gas, etc.

After quite a bit of research, I decided it was easiest to take the cruise ship's excursion to St. John's than doing it on our own. We are a family of four, kids 7 & 8. I actually think the ship's price is better than trying to do it on our own. I especially like that we catch the ferry directly off the cruise ship without having to taxi through traffic to the Red Hook Ferry. It may not give us as much time on St. Johns but the idea of no worries is better for a day trip like this one.

I haven't been to St. Johns since I camped there for a week in my 20's. It's such a beautiful island I can't wait to share it with my family.

Archived