Norwegian Dawn

travel12

Are you for real?? First of all, the wave occurred close to Florida not NY. Get a clue before you spread misinformation. Take a look at the sailing statistics and you will find that most cruise interruptions due to weather occur in the southern states or in tropical locations. As far as sailing out of NY goes...read up on the supply and demand principle.

Thank you Cristian welcome to the cruise critic..Are you still working for NCL? When were you last on the Dawn!!!

I sign off NCL Dawn on 9 January , after a short period on the Dream i was transfered again to the Star.I am doing new my last cruise next L.A. vacation !!!!! :p

... you can sail from LA, Hawaii, Vancouver, Seattle, Miami, Charleston, Port Canaveral, New Orleans, and Galveston to name a few. It's great to see all the cruise lines catering to people in other markets.

I realize your list was not intended to be all-inclusive, but Don't Forget Tampa.

For those who fly in to Tampa and want to arrive early and see a bit of the area there are fine hotels near the port, either in the Ybor City entertainment district or in downtown Tampa.

For those who drive in, the port parking facility is directly across the street from the port.

In the spirit of full disclosure, the main drawback to the Port of Tampa is that most sailings from here go only to the Western Caribbean because we are on the west coast of Florida, and that the Mega-ships cannot port here because of height restrictions imposed by the height of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge across the entrance to Tampa Bay.

Tampa is a nice place to visit and I would want to live here. (I do.)

:)

I would just like to say that, NOT ALL CANADIANS share travel12's view's:mad: I live on the Western Side of Canada (Alberta), so we do sometimes fly into somewhere 2 days in advance,but we make the most of it,we get to know the area we are staying in:D That's part of Holidays - learning culture,relaxing and having FUN:) If I need to spend 2 days inside on a ship I'll certainly find something to keep me busy:D

My HEART, go's out to those FELLOW CRUISER'S,It's something that no one would want to happen to them and I agree we need to get our facts first before statements are made that will certainly upset a lot of people. Yes Travel12 the wave did originate off the coast of Florida,it had nothing to do with cruising out of New York.

Happy and Safe Travel's to ALL:D

Travel12.....everyone is entitled to their own opinion..However, do not bash us tri-state area people for enjoying cruising as much as you do...and for enjoying having a beautiful ship to sail on that is close to our homes. It is your own opinion to not enjoy the time at sea and endure "cold" weather. Being from Canada however, I would think that cold weather would not be a problem for you.

For us it is a 10 minute drive to a ferry...a relaxing 45 minute ride into the city. a short cab ride and a wonderful cruise. My husband and I sailed on the Dawn in one of the suites that I believe was damaged on Deck 9 (9002) back in November of 2003. It was my 30th birthday present from him. Our first vacation ever without our son, and a well needed time for relaxation after several EXTREMELY hectic years.

Our time at sea was wonderful! We relaxed, caught up on some much needed rest, enjoyed each others company and fell in love with the Dawn and her Crew! (and each other all over again) It was a fabulous cruise. On our return day at sea (which was my b-day) we had very rough seas, but had a ball all the same, enjoying massages and again time with each other on a beautiful ship. The highlight of sailing on this ship for me was our return to NYC. You see my mother had come to America into NY Harbor on a ship as a 16 year old girl and always told me stories of the wonder that she saw as she arrived. I stood out on my balcony and put myself back into her time and pictured what she had told me. (she had passed away a few months before the cruise) If it weren't for NCL and the Dawn....I may not have had that opportunity to pay tribute to her.

So have your opinion and cruise from where you wish...but I'll take the Dawn out of NYC anyday, thank you!

We have been cruising in February from Southern ports, but will cruise next year on the Norwegian Dawn from New York. Beats driving to Florida, because my wife doesn't fly and I think the American trains are the pits. To each his own.

In any case, I once arrived in New York on a trans-Atlantic sailing and departed from there. You are out of your mind if you don't want that spectacular visual experience. Even a Canadian might love it.

Quote:

lou_vnj ----Maybe you should post your opinion on a Canadian forum, perhaps more people would be interested there.

Don't appreciate that comment... sorry.

kiberkid: Sorry, no offense mean't to Canadians. I don't know where in Canada travel12 is, I was guessing not close to NY so that he finds it preferred to go directly to Florida to depart. What I really mean't was he might find more productive discussion with others who have to travel a decent distance to reach both NY or Florida and that they might be able to discuss the pros/cons, rather than the handgrenade that he launched into the NYC area under the generic subject "Norwegian Dawn".

Hi there,

If you think "2 days at sea" is all about bingo, then I think you've missed the boat. If you don't like being on a ship, then why do you cruise at all? Might as well fly to your favorite destinations.

I just read the QM2 was also hit by a freak wave crossing the Atlantic in the recent past. Another liner was hit this year off the coast of Spain. Why are you blaming Norwegian and New York?

2 years ago I was on a Carnival ship (sailed from and to NYC), and we left the day before the hurricaine hit Bermuda. We had pretty rough seas down south. Smoothed out half way home to NY.

By all means, please don't cruise out of N.Y. It's getting rather difficult to book a preferred cabin these days. Even Pennsylvanians like to take advantage of not having to pay for a flight on top of their vacation costs.

The Party's on the Ship!

The big wave proves my point...This ship should never depart from New York. Weather weather Weather.... Wake up Norwegian.

Gee I guess your right travel12...you better not leave from New York with all the bad weather and everything...and I guess you should stay away from any Atlantic crossings...the Atlantic can get pretty rough and has Iceburgs ( remember the Titanic)...and Florida has the Bermuda Triangle and Hurricanes come to think of it.... the Gulf Coast is noted for its Hurricanes..and the entire Pacific get Tsunami from all the Earthquakes it has between Japan and California...so my best advice would be to paddle a Canoe in a small lake...but don't stand-up..they have been knowen to tip over....:rolleyes:

Why the Canada bashing? I've been reading this thread tonight hoping to get more info on the rogue wave and the seas from New York, as my family will be taking a cruise (the Voyager) in June and I'm really shocked to see some people's comments. Even if some people do not agree with Travel12's opinion (and I don't), does he not have the right to it? I would also think he can post his view anywhere he wants, as far as I know, this site is not strictly for Americans. As for the comment about people driving to the NY port, it may surprise you that many Canadians are starting to take advantage of a port closer to home. We also spend our tourist dollars visiting, staying in your hotels, eating at your restaurants ect. We are driving, it is about a 7 hour drive but for a family of 4, that is a large savings on airfare.We travel to the US often and have found most people friendly and hospitable. I hope that the people that have made such rude comments and sweeping generalizations will not be sailing with us!

Archived