Norwegian Dawn

travel12

Bad weather happens everywhere. It has nothing to do with leaving out of NY. You might as well suggest removing all ships from the Caribbean during hurricane season. That would be just as absurd.

You better believe it. Norwegian wants to cater to the huge NY market. There are others who (1) don't want to waste at least 2 days of their hard earned vacations inside playing bingo and reading in the library and going to movies, and (2) those who don't want to endure the ever present weather conditions along the eastern seaboard in the late winter early spring weather.The southern states are and always will be the place to depart. I am so disgusted with all the New Yorkers saying that hey we should have the ships depart from here. Give me a break. I'm Canadian and wouldn't think for a moment of edparting form New York in the winter and early spring. I work hard for my money. I don't want to spend those two precious days inside. Although I am a big Norgwegian fan , and a prometer of Freestyle, we have change to Royal Caribbean for our nextt Southern Caribbean adventure. You New Yorkers can have your weather problems, and play bingo . Is it worth the price of an easy commute. My thinking is no. If Dawn had remained in Florida we would have booked her without a blink for our second cruise on her. It's the departure point that changed our minds for both Dawn and Spirit next year. There are others out there other than the New York market.

:confused: I thought this wave happened out at sea further down south and not in the NY water area????? And why not sail out of NY???? I don't think that NCL will be changing anytime soon - have you tried booking out of NY lately??? Its what people want.

Ocean waves such as this one can probably happen anywhere. If you are concerned about leaving from New York, well, this happened on the way back up to NY. It happened south of the Carolinas obviously, being that that's where they docked. Also, the weather has been very nice in NY lately. Can't blame anything on that. If ice and cold temps were a concern, I could possibly see a very minor point in your statement (even then I doubt it), but I think you're fishing for a point of blame. I think the Dawn has been leaving NYC for almost 2 or 3 years without major incident, in much more inclement weather, and this is pointed to leaving out of NYC?!?!? Come on now!!

You better believe it. Norwegian wants to cater to the huge NY market. There are others who (1) don't want to waste at least 2 days of their hard earned vacations inside playing bingo and reading in the library and going to movies, and (2) those who don't want to endure the ever present weather conditions along the eastern seaboard in the late winter early spring weather.The southern states are and always will be the place to depart. I am so disgusted with all the New Yorkers saying that hey we should have the ships depart from here. Give me a break. I'm Canadian and wouldn't think for a moment of edparting form New York in the winter and early spring. I work hard for my money. I don't want to spend those two precious days inside. Although I am a big Norgwegian fan , and a prometer of Freestyle, we have change to Royal Caribbean for our nextt Southern Caribbean adventure. You New Yorkers can have your weather problems, and play bingo . Is it worth the price of an easy commute. My thinking is no. If Dawn had remained in Florida we would have booked her without a blink for our second cruise on her. It's the departure point that changed our minds for both Dawn and Spirit next year. There are others out there other than the New York market.

thank you for your opinion. however, it is just that..an opinion. please, stick with sailing from florida if you don't want to "waste" two days playing bingo. us "jersey-ites" will continue filling that dawn up, playing bingo, sitting on the deck by the pool, having a blast, and thinking about the fact that WE DON'T HAVE TO FLY ANYWHERE. so if you get stuck in a snowstorm flying to FL for your great cruise, what will you do then? demand that cruise lines send out limos to pick all their passengers up and take them to whatever pier they need to go to depart?

what you don't realize is the best part of crusing are the number of different options that are out there. if you don't want to sail from NY then don't. we're enjoying ourselves just fine, thanks.

You New Yorkers can have your weather problems, and play bingo . Is it worth the price of an easy commute. My thinking is no.

Is it worth is to me to spend 20 bucks to take a bus into the city rather than the $600 we paid to fly to Florida last year? You bet your sweet bippy it is! Worth EVERY penny! A big part of my cruises is enjoying the ship I'm on too...so it works for me!

Wow! So it is not the wave that is important here - it is the fact that you would like to sail on the Dawn but you are mad that the Dawn sails only out of NY and found the wave as a reason to make an issue out of it. OK. If NCL is making money and selling out the cabins on the Dawn year round - then why shouldn't they? And if people want to spend 2 days inside playing bingo - then why shouldn't they???? You would think someone was forcing YOU to sail on the Dawn out of NY in bad weather and make you stay inside for 2 days and play bingo! I can understand you being bummed because maybe you would like to sail on the Dawn but not out of NY but the way you slam New Yorkers for wanting to cruise out of THEIR state is just wrong and I don't understand it. I sailed on the Legend out of NY. Guess what - we sailed out on a Saturday and didn't see land again till Tuesday. Did we have crappy weather - NO (it was October though) - did we stay inside playing bingo - NO! Until the Dawn sails out of another state - like FL - you need to just accept the fact and find other ships to sail on. Sorry but that is the way it is. Just like I won't sail from the West coast - so unless those ships come to this side of the world - they are not an option. I have decided to bite the bullet and sail out of FL this Sept - I am scared to death to fly and have not done so since 1991 but I would like to sail on the Caribbean Princess. I would lose out sailing on a lot of great ships if I didn't decide to fly. Good luck with your future cruises though and I hope you get over your problem with New York!

Well happy bingo playing and sitting around the pool in jackets and paying big bucks. It just doesn't make sense. I can see a movie anywhere and even go to the spa at home. What I can't get in the winter is the sun and warmth. So you fly out a day early is that stresses you out. I just cannot comprehend why anyone would want to sail out of New York and waste at least two days at sea with winter like weather.Even the easy commute doesn't warrant a wasted two days. Maybe all of you have more money than I do. We were on the Dwan during it's initial season. We loved her . We loved the Freestyle. Spirit looks good too. But when I have a set vacation time each year, I'll be darned if I'm going to waste two days of it for the luxury of a nearer departure point.

:confused: I thought this wave happened out at sea further down south and not in the NY water area????? And why not sail out of NY???? I don't think that NCL will be changing anytime soon - have you tried booking out of NY lately??? Its what people want.

Princess is also adding cruises from NY. I love not flying anywhere to cruise. 5 times last year. When all the ships come here the price will come down. Please remember that NCL did it first year around. Its strange it happened in the spring and it happened north of the Bahamas and South of Cape hatterous....This is the eastern seaboard graveyard---no where near NYC....also the Titanic wasn't close to here either.

Look I've sailed out of lots of places, but my favorite place to sail out of is NYC. No I personally haven't sailed during winter weather, but friends and family have. I have, in fact, encountered rough waters in the summer sailings out of NYC.

There is so much to offer on a cruise out of NYC that it makes it so awesome. Maybe you feel that Bingo and indoor things are not fun, but others may. Plus, there is so much more to a cruise than that anyway!! Also, I would love to feel, even if for a few moments the biting, frigid ocean air on my skin for a little while on the open ocean seas during the winter. If it weren't for my allotted vacation time, I would most certainly book a winter vacation out of NYC. But I think you are missing the point!! It is niether winter or was the ship near NYC during this mishap. The ship was closer to the south than it was NY during this ordeal. Does that mean no more cruises below the Carolinas? Of course not!!

Skeptics scoffed when NCL announced they were offering winter cruises to the Caribbean round trip out of New York. What happened? They became so popular that NCL is adding a second ship (Norwegian Spirit) next winter. And lo and behold, HAL will have their new Westerdam also offering 10 and 11 day cruises out of New York to the Caribbean next winter. Some of us would still prefer the activities and meals aboard a southbound cruise ship to sleeping in an airport in a snowstorm.

Finally, the big wave you blamed New York for actually occurred off the coast of Florida where many cruise ships sail from every week. Any of them departing Florida this weekend could have encountered the same wave. Hopefully, your assertion is not typical of Canadian logic.

Well happy bingo playing and sitting around the pool in jackets and paying big bucks. It just doesn't make sense. I can see a movie anywhere and even go to the spa at home. What I can't get in the winter is the sun and warmth. So you fly out a day early is that stresses you out. I just cannot comprehend why anyone would want to sail out of New York and waste at least two days at sea with winter like weather.Even the easy commute doesn't warrant a wasted two days. Maybe all of you have more money than I do. We were on the Dwan during it's initial season. We loved her . We loved the Freestyle. Spirit looks good too. But when I have a set vacation time each year, I'll be darned if I'm going to waste two days of it for the luxury of a nearer departure point.

Everyone has their requirements for their vacation. If the sun and warmth is your main cruise priority, then bypass NY, that's your choice. Why rant against Norwegian when obviously the market is supporting all ships currently there and demand is so high, more other ships and cruiselines are moving into the NY market.

Maybe you should post your opinion on a Canadian forum, perhaps more people would be interested there.

Hmmm...I say you shouldn't sail on the Dawn then. There..you no longer have a problem. How other people choose to spend their vacations isn't your business. If someone enjoys two days inside, if the weather is bad, that doesn't change one thing in your life. So ships sailing out of New York, that you'll never ever sail on, really doesn't factor in to your hard earned vacation time right? Why then chastise others for choosing to spend their vacations the way they want to?

Also, you're right. There are other people to consider outside of the New York market. That's why you can sail from LA, Hawaii, Vancouver, Seattle, Miami, Charleston, Port Canaveral, New Orleans, and Galveston to name a few. It's great to see all the cruise lines catering to people in other markets.

Travel12, you sound like a very angry person who had a bad experience with New Yorkers. I agree with Dolfinmusic, this isn't about the wave, this is about you and your axe to grind. There are so many choices out there. If you don't like departing from N.Y., don't. Why would you care if other people choose to?

I am so sorry you feel the way you do. I have cruised on the Carnival Legend and the Voyager of the Seas, both from the NY area and they both did two days at sea. I work hard myself and I welcome the chance to sit back and relax with no cares whatsoever. It also affords the chance to explore the ship, partake in any activity or simply enjoy the company of my fellow cruiser. Bad weather happens at any given time and in any given area, not just NY. You need to slow down and take some time to enjoy what life has to offer, because there are so many others in this world who are going through some things far worst than you can ever imagine. Be thankful for the little things.

One more point Travel12 you have a right to leave from whatever port you want to. The reason that NY is so popular is that more people live within 4 driving hours of NY that live in all of Canada. Some of these prefer sea days some prefer port days. Whatever they prefer they can do. They can fly or leave from NY. You can do the same. I hope you enjoy your cruises most cruises have at least a few sea days....I have traveled in February on the Dawn. It was sunning on the deck weather within 24 hours of leaving NYC and stayed warm enough to be sunning until Saturday PM. I wish our movie industry would stop making pictures in Canada and saying its NYC.

It might not make sense to you, but it does to others. Variety is the spice of life. Isn't it great that NCL offers cruises out of different ports!!! Some prefer NYC, some prefer Maimi & others prefer Houston or the West coast. I think NCL should be commended on their variety. I would love to spend a few days in NYC & then take a cruise out of there.... so does that make it wrong? or me wrong? I don't think so. I suggest you keep taking your cruises out of the warmer climates & you will be happy & let the rest of us take our cruises out of the ports we want to.

lou_vnj ----Maybe you should post your opinion on a Canadian forum, perhaps more people would be interested there.

Don't appreciate that comment... sorry.

Archived