Recommendations near Red Roof Inn - Miami?

kellyrnh

We are staying at the Red Roof in Miami near the airport the night before and after our cruise. We'll want to grab dinner (reasonable), and also grab some items to bring on the cruise (our allowed wine and non-alcoholic drinks we can bring in our carry-ons). Any recommendations on where to go for these things? Walking distance or short cab ride hopefully?

Also, on our way back we are staying at the same hotel on the way back but have a day to explore. Any recommendations there would be great too :) We may just beach it but have never been there so of course look for others advice. :D

We are staying at the Red Roof in Miami near the airport the night before and after our cruise. We'll want to grab dinner (reasonable), and also grab some items to bring on the cruise (our allowed wine and non-alcoholic drinks we can bring in our carry-ons). Any recommendations on where to go for these things? Walking distance or short cab ride hopefully?

Also, on our way back we are staying at the same hotel on the way back but have a day to explore. Any recommendations there would be great too :) We may just beach it but have never been there so of course look for others advice. :D

There are a couple chain restaurants right there. I thing Chili's or something like that. However, I would advise you that we stayed at the Red Roof Inn in the past and it was horrible. The rooms were musty and dirty. The elevators did not work. There were questionable type people roaming around in the back section of the hotel. We were in the back building and there was no security stopping people from entering the hotel back there. The "so-called" breakfast and coffee were awful or non-existent. Also, the hotel confirmed that they would have no problem shuttling our large group to the port. When they first brought around the shuttle bus, it had a flat tire. He drove us to the port on a flat tire. It was not a pleasant stay.

I will second rethinking your stay there. We ended up there when our flight was cancelled about 2 years ago. Dirty, mold in the bathroom,smelly,not vacuumed,only 1 towel and the linen looked soiled. It was late at night and no other rooms were available. We would of been better off sleeping on the airport floor. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere!

That is a really sketchy hotel with a lot of crime element. Highly suggest you stay elsewhere.

I would not spend the night there. I'd sleep in the airport on the floor first.

PLEASE find another motel!!! This place is everything the PPs describe and more. We selected it for a stay before our first-ever cruise. The place should have been condemned 20 years before we checked in.

The airport floor is definitely cleaner and safer.

I hope you've read the above.

Please don't stay there. You absolutely cannot leave this motel after dark.

Yikes, thanks for the heads up everyone. I heard that this hotel just finished getting renovated, another cruiser posted here how great it was. Have any of you visited recently, or is this a while ago? :confused:

Even if it has been renovated and has carrera marble and frette linens you still don't want to stay there because of the location. It's in a bad, bad neighborhood. You know Miami has one of the worst violent crime rates in the nation right?

I admit my stay wasn't yesterday, or even in the past 2 years, but I will never, ever forget that absolutely horrible start to our vacation. We slept about 2 hrs and left before the sun came up, and just drove until we found an open mall. No stores were open, just the mall...but we felt a lot better there.

I really hope it has been dramatically overhauled and that if you do keep your reservation, you have a safe and pleasant stay. Is so, PLEASE correct us all before we try to deter any other guests. I know how much faith I put in these boards, and the of good, accurate information I have gained through the years.

It is true that my info is far from current, and I am usually very cautious about commenting on an old experience, but the scars ran deep enough on the Red Roof Inn that I had to jump in!

Archived