Questions Re: Airlines and Hotels

I originally posted the info/questions below on the Australia/New Zealand Ports of Call board, but it was suggested that I post my questions on this forum.

We are one of two couples who will be cruising Sydney to Auckland on the Celebrity Solstice on December 23, 2012. We are trying to plan flights and hotel stays as soon as possible. We are flying into Sydney one day before our cruise and staying in Auckland after our cruise.

Airlines: We are trying to decide between QANTAS, Virgin Australia, Air New Zealand, and Air Pacific. We can choose any of these (and more) using Choice Air. We're leaning toward Air New Zealand because it has more nonstop flights (to/from LAX). Can anyone comment on the positives and negatives to any of these airlines?

Hotels: From the ones listed below, which would you recommend and why? We want something that is close to attraction areas and would like to know how far each is to/from the airport and to/from the pier. How much would transfers cost?

Sydney - We're holding bookings at Hilton Sydney, Holiday Inn Darling Harbour, and Four Points by Sheraton Darling Harbour.

Auckland - We're holding bookings at Crowne Plaza and Novotel Auckland Airport.

I know I've asked a lot of questions and I have tried to research some on my own, but would like fellow CC's valuable comments. Thank you in advance for all and any responses.

If you're in business class then it's easy - Air NZ has the superior product by a million miles. You get an individual cubicle (they license the module that Virgin uses in their business class) and the bed is fully layflat and horizontal. On Qantas you get side-by-side seating and a layflat bed that is on about a 20 degree incline - it is not comfortable because you basically have to stand on the foot flap on the end otherwise you'll slide off.

In premium economy of economy it's not so clear cut. Either of Air NZ or Qantas are much the same in most ways. Most people from NZ prefer Air NZ over Qantas but this is probably just national pride rather than a rational opinion being shown.

I've not flown Air Pacific (Fiji's national carrier) but on the occasions I've looked I've noticed you can get quite long layovers in Fiji. They also use quite old planes. Fiji is a hot country and I've heard the airport isn't nice. Price can be cheaper than the other two though. I think they codeshare with Qantas too.

An interesting option of Air NZ is their skycouch - this is three economy seats that convert into a slightly short "bed". This happens by having flaps at the front of the three seats that you can raise to completely remove the space where your legs would normally go. The space is wider than a single bed but not quite as long. Air NZ sells this by charging about an extra 25% per passenger e.g. you pay for 2.5 seats but get three if there are two of you. There are other seat combinations they sell too e.g. a skycouch plus a single seat so one person can have the whole area at a time.

I'm assuming you're talking about the long-haul segments here too (given you mention Air Pacific). Between AU and NZ both Qantas and Air NZ are not good (both are running no-frills on a cut-throat competitive route catering to the very lowest common denominator of traveler) - I'd use Emirates but the disadvantage there is that the flight schedule is not really convenient.

I'd not stay out by Auckland Airport - there is nothing to do there - nothing at all; and, you're a considerable distance from anywhere you're likely to want to go e.g. the CBD is 30 minutes away in a taxi. Public transport out there is terrible too. Possibly the Stamford Plazza would be a better option - it's closer to the action. The Crowne Plazza is perhaps a five to ten minute walk away from where tourists normally go e.g. the viaduct for dinner.

IMO the Four Points has the best location of the three you've noted for Sydney because tourists like Darling Harbor and you're basically right there. In terms of hotels they're all much the same as each other. It's not so handy to stay on the other side of Darling Harbor and so I'd avoid the Novotel - I stayed there just the once - that was too many times...

I cannot comment on accom at NZ but for Sydney from the 3 you mentioned I would choose Hilton over the others, as it is close to Circular Quay. I prefer to stay at the Rocks area, Sydney. We like the Shangri-La as it has great views of both the opera house and harbour bridge. The Rocks is a lovely area, close to Circular Quay, close to the centre of the city and an easy walk to Darling Harbour.

If you choose Darling Harbour you are further away, and not central for the popular areas of Sydney.

We chose Sheraton 4 Points for our upcoming 3 night stay prior to our Feb. 19 cruise. The main reason was that we had enough points to cover the cost, but the more we read the happier we are with our choice. While it's not as close to Circular Quay, it looks like a reasonable walk (less than a mile), plus the Darling Harbor area has more than enough attractions to keep us happy. It also looks like there are several transportation options to get around the area if our legs give out. We're especially looking forward to the Darling Harbor fireworks display on the night before our cruise - how thoughtful of them to do this just for us! If we get a chance we'll let you know how we like it after we arrive.

We'll also let you know how the Qantas Premium Economy flight from LAX is.

We chose Sheraton 4 Points for our upcoming 3 night stay prior to our Feb. 19 cruise. The main reason was that we had enough points to cover the cost, but the more we read the happier we are with our choice. While it's not as close to Circular Quay, it looks like a reasonable walk (less than a mile), plus the Darling Harbor area has more than enough attractions to keep us happy. It also looks like there are several transportation options to get around the area if our legs give out. We're especially looking forward to the Darling Harbor fireworks display on the night before our cruise - how thoughtful of them to do this just for us! If we get a chance we'll let you know how we like it after we arrive.

We'll also let you know how the Qantas Premium Economy flight from LAX is.

Kartgv, thanks for the info and I look forward to your review of your trip.

Seafood, don't think you've ventured on to the roll call for this sailing on Solstice? Take a look as we have quite a few posters and we've already started to exchange information regarding flights and excursions ;).

Villauk, thanks and I will take a look at our roll call.

Many thanks to all who have responded!

• 3 weeks later...

We are one of two couples who will be cruising Sydney to Auckland on the Celebrity Solstice on December 23, 2012. We are trying to plan flights and hotel stays as soon as possible. We are flying into Sydney one day before our cruise and staying in Auckland after our cruise.

Way to go! Whew, long flights, you'll need an extra-long cruise to make up for it. :)

Archived