Question for Hilo driving: VNP, Kapoho and Kalapana

Middleager

We'll be on POA, to dock at Hilo on Tue. Aug. 28, 8am - 6pm. We'll rent a car. Currently we booked an economy car. Is it worth it to book an SUV or convertible for this trip?

In 2005 we drove to the VNP, saw the movie at the VPN visitor center, and drove around the Crater Rim road, stopped at many spot. This time we are thinking to still visit the VNP, then in the afternoon also visit the Tidal pool/hot pounds in Kapoho and Kalapana. Yes, drive the Red Road.

From the VNP Crater Rim road, people can drive south on the Chain of Craters Rd, all the way to the sea. I see where it ends, is actually close to Kalapana. So is the scenery from Kalapana similar to the end of the Chain of Crater road?

For going to and find place to park at Kopoho and Kalapana, what addresses/coordinates should we put in the GPS?

I found this driving suggestion:

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/drives/bigisle/puna.htm

It sounds good. Anything else we can follow/add to that?

At Kapoho, there seem to a long stretch of shore with tidal pools. Which location/entry would have good snorkeling? Do the tidal pools at Kapoho also have hot spring water, or is it better to go to Ahanalui for the hot pound?

How long would a detour to the Mauna Loa Macadamia Farm add to the trip?

Any possibility that we can add a trip north to the Akaha Falls, or is it nuts to even think about doing that?

Thanks a lot.

Currently we booked an economy car. Is it worth it to book an SUV or convertible for this trip?

While a SUV would be bigger and possibly a more comfortable ride I would not recommend a convertible. We were given a convertible as a free upgrade and we hated it. First of all you have to think of Wind burn, and sun burn. So slather on the sun tan lotion and often. Second, Hilo is rainy and subject to showers off and on all day, we were constantly having to put the roof up and down and up and down and.......(you get the idea) Then when we got some sun we got so hot we had to put the roof up and turned on the AC. Finally, we just left the top up and didn't have to worry about the heat, the rain, the sun or the wind. All this and the worst part was my hair looked like the bride of frankenstein all day long!!!

I vote for the economy car. But that's just me. :D

While a SUV would be bigger and possibly a more comfortable ride I would not recommend a convertible.... the worst part was my hair looked like the bride of frankenstein all day long!!!

I vote for the economy car. But that's just me. :D

Ah, I see. Young Frankenstein is one of my favourite movies. I thought Frakenstein's bride's hair actually looked pretty good. Maybe we'll get a convertible so my wife's hair would look like that.:D

Ok, got your point. Will keep the economy car. Maybe a convertible will be better for the Road to Hana drive when you're driving slowy to enjoy the scenery.

We'll be on POA, to dock at Hilo on Tue. Aug. 28, 8am - 6pm. We'll rent a car. Currently we booked an economy car. Is it worth it to book an SUV or convertible for this trip?

I rent a car that I would be comfortable riding around in the back seat all day with the best viewing available. The whole day is about being able to enjoy the scenery. Also wind might be a big factor in the back seat of the convertable (we get one often if it is just the two of us).

From the VNP Crater Rim road, people can drive south on the Chain of Craters Rd, all the way to the sea. I see where it ends, is actually close to Kalapana. So is the scenery from Kalapana similar to the end of the Chain of Crater road?

There are several miles and many old lava flows between these two places - Kalapana and the end of Chain of Craters road. Both have great views but by the time you go the volcano might have a whole different flow going that would change everything. If you go to the end of Hwy 137 and park at Kaimu you can walk about a quarter of a mile to the Pacific. If there is a flow active when you are there this may be the best view without a long hike to see the flow or plume if there is an ocean entry.

You will only be about ten miles from the Kapoho area.

How long would a detour to the Mauna Loa Macadamia Farm add to the trip?

Any possibility that we can add a trip north to the Akaha Falls, or is it nuts to even think about doing that?

Thanks a lot.

The Mac farms are on the way to VNP so this is a short side trip.

In my opinion you might skip the falls at this stop as there are great waterfalls at all of the other ports.

Also there is really good snorkeling on the Kona side (Place of Refuge / Two steps) and also on Maui. I'm not trying to discourage you from snorkeling at this stop just saying there is only one active volcano on the islands and Hilo is the stop to see it.

I like having the problem of to having to many really cool things to do and see to pick from :D.

Could you suggest which waterfalls to visit instead? Thanks!

Here are two websights http://www.hawaii-guide.com/kauai/spot/kauai_waterfalls -

http://adventuremaui.com/waterfalls.htm

that will give you good descriptions of the accessible waterfalls on both Kauai and Maui. Most of them are very easy to get to and several can be viewed from the road. On Kauai our favorite is Hanakapiai falls which takes a four mile hike to reach. The hike can be a little tough but the views you get to enjoy are world class. Best viewing of Na Pali to be had on any of the islands.

2960587430091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2483705600091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

As you sail by the NaPali coast when leaving Kauai you will be telling all the jealous cruisers around you (showing them pictures of what it looks like up close) that this is where you spent your first day on the island

For easy access Wailua (can be viewed from the road) and Kipu falls are great. Each can be reached with a very short walk and both have great pools at their bases for swimming of relaxing.

2369553130091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

On Maui we like to go past Hana and hike the beautiful trail to Waimoku falls. Not a great place to swim (in the second picture you see me in about the deepest part of the pool) but a top rated walk through a hugh bambo forest

2089105670091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2643530930091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

You can check out our webshots page to see many pitures of all of these falls. http://community.webshots.com/user/diverearl

Thanks for the suggestions, Diverearl.

We'll bring snorkeling gears, so I guess we'll still bring them for the Hilo stop. I do plan to dive in Oahu pre-cruise, and also at the Kona stop. Thinking of also adding a Molokini dive/snorkel trip on the second day in Maui. So for the Hilo stop, if there's enough time and the water looks calm, we might also snorkel at Kopoho.

Any other comments/responses on other questions regarding Kopoho and Kalapana?

Archived