fly or take train to seattle?

linnealee

I am coming up from L.A. to Seattle, but I am not in a rush to get there. Train is cheaper, but takes more than 24 hours to arrive in Seattle. Planned to fly in the day before my cruise leaves on August 6th if I don't take the train. I have wanted to take the train before.

Has anyone taken a train up the coast before? I am wondering if I will get bored since I will be by myself, I will be meeting my mother in Seattle.

I have taken the Coast Starlight from San Diego and YES, extremely scenic especially through the Oregon Cascades. If you have the time, consider it? The only negative is the 24 hour trip and napping in your seat. I had a cabin on one trip and did overnights in hotels on the other from San Jose on the orginal Daylight. :) I've never taken any long distance Amtrak without the added room. If you are getting right on the ship, should be a great option with your priority for train travel. :)

if you are not in a hurry. I agree with Budget Queen on the beautiful scenery in the Cascades. I also very much enjoyed riding up the California coast, seeing the beaches and cliffs and all that.

I would also say to allow two days instead of one. We had many delays, and Amtrak never stays on time. You are probably out of luck on getting a sleeping compartment for the trip this summer, so you may have to sleep in your seat.

IMO, there's better things you can do with your 24 hours than sit on a train all day. Unless they have WiFi -- that's a different story (I doubt it, though). The other thing is, a lot of the time you're not really moving. You're sitting at some mid-station, waiting for other people to board. You get a scenic view of the loading dock.

If you were going to Vancouver, though, I'd definitely have a different opinion. Plane trips to Vancouver are an extra $125/pp just because now it's an international flight. Not so on Amtrak.

IMO, there's better things you can do with your 24 hours than sit on a train all day. Unless they have WiFi -- that's a different story (I doubt it, though). The other thing is, a lot of the time you're not really moving. You're sitting at some mid-station, waiting for other people to board. You get a scenic view of the loading dock.

If you were going to Vancouver, though, I'd definitely have a different opinion. Plane trips to Vancouver are an extra $125/pp just because now it's an international flight. Not so on Amtrak.

Have you taken the Coast Starlight? Sorry to disagree, but this is one of the most scenic train routes, right on the ocean in many sections and just a relaxing trip. Train stops can be less than 5 minutes at stations. :) 24 hours is nothing. :) If you count all the time it takes to get to the aiport, arranging your drop off transportation, check in bags, security, loading, unloading, bag claim, airport pick up, etc etc etc, that takes time too. :)

Me, too.

Totally agree with budget queen.

Coast Starlight is the best! Also the delay is minimum compared to other trains.

I've taken Coast Starlight a couple times and also been to almost every single Amtrak line in the West. If you have time, there is no better choice. And you also save a lot of money compared to flying, which is a pleasant bonus.

I noticed that Amtrak priced San Jose-Vancouver ticket just $1 more than San Jose-Seattle. It means, you ride from Seattle to Vancouver, almost free! The ride is worth $20~40 by shuttle/bus/motorcoach.

Archived