should we do Coba or Tulum on Freedom of the Seas excursion?

momrules

debating on which would be better to do Coba or Tulum ruins. Both are offered as excursions on FOS (May). Tulum is 6 hrs. and Coba is 8 hrs. We are family of 4 with 2 young adults and like history. Tulum is shorter and looks really neat to sea along the ocean, but at Coba I understand it is not as well excavated, but you can still climb the pyramid. My kids would love to do this (ok - me too!). Is it worth the extra time and travel to go to Coba over Tulum. Would like your honest opinions on this. Thank you.

can't comment on coba but did do tulum as an excursion last week. it was beautiful. i'm so very glad that i went. and it was an 8 hour excursion from cozumel. completely worth it.

i'll be posting an extensive review asap, and will link it here once it is posted.

happy choosing!

DH and I went to both a couple of years ago. We were on a land-based vacation, not a cruise, so I can't speak to the particular ship excursions, but I can tell you a little about each site.

Tulum is very well excavated and beautiful. You go through an old rock wall to get into the ruins, but after that, you can't touch anything - all of the ruins are cordoned off. However, the views over the water are amazing, and the beach there was one of the best we've ever been to, so if your family enjoys swimming it's a good choice.

Coba is in the middle of the forest and is partially excavated. It feels much more exotic - tall trees, colorful birds, shady and cool. You can climb the pyramids and walk through the ancient ball courts. I felt like it was a much more "immersive" experience than Tulum, if that makes sense. It's a very large site and there's lots of walking/hiking involved (and those pyramids have lots of steps!), so if you're an active family but not really beach people you might enjoy Coba more.

Both are great experiences and you really can't go wrong with either one. Have fun!

Archived