How important is the stateroom choice on Star Flyer?

LakeRooseveltBrews

We are considering a 14 night Panama Canal trip on the Star Flyer. We've never been on Star Clippers before and were wondering how much time you really spend in the cabin and how important the choice of stateroom really is. Since there is not much sitting area, with the exception of the bed(s), I wondered if more time was spent on deck or in the public areas than on "traditional" cruises.

We are going on a European River cruise this spring that is also a small ship where I expect we'll spend more time out of our cabin than in it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Like all cruises, choosing a cabin is personal preference. That being said, on these ships picking a cabin in the middle, front to back, is important. The ships ride like a sailing ship, not like a giant cruise ship. Window or no window is your choice but I can say we were only in our cabin to sleep so we could have done with an inside cabin just fine. In fact our last night, they closed the porthole covers because the seas were so rough.

We have been on the Star Clipper (sister ship to the Star Flyer) 3 times and on the Royal Clipper several times. Star Flyer booked for the Baltic this year. By a nice coincidence we were also on one of those trips with WeBeGone - good memories. On our first Starclippers holiday we found that we were only in our cabin for sleeping, showering etc. - so much to see and experience on deck. Where else can you be on the bridge (open part) as the ship is sailing along having a chat with the Captain/Officers/Crew. Now, several trips later, we still spend little time in the cabin. Several passengers, me included, have said that they did not get through one book, particularly on their first Starclippers holiday. Whatever category of cabin you choose I would suggest, for a first timer, you try to get one amidships or just forward thereof.

Have twice sailed on Star Flyer's twin sister, Star Clipper--and in the Caribbean. We thought they were very nice cabins, but we didn't spend a lot of time there. We either were on deck, onshore, or in the water. I believe our cabin each time was mid-ship and we were very comfortable. Plenty of places to enjoy the ship away from your cabin, but it's a very nice retreat if you feel the need for such. Star Clippers get a multi-nation passenger clientele, with many from Europe; we also enjoyed passengers from Canada and Australia. And the crew is just as varied. We had a blast each time! If they're still doing their crew/passenger talent night, that is very special and loads of fun, even if only to watch and enjoy.

Thank you all for your replies.

Another question: are there plenty of deck chairs on the Star Flyer and are there problems with chair hogs like there are on large ships? We've actually never worried about that on the larger ships as we usually have a verandah, but if we get a small cabin or especially an inside one, I assume we'd spend a lot of time on deck and I'd hate to have to stress about deck chairs.

In all honesty, I would have thought that on a small ship like this, it wouldn't be an issue, but I've seen in a couple trip reports for Star Clippers that it was brought up.

Thanks again!

Overall the availability of deckshairs is usually O.K. In addition to deckchairs there are several "bench" seats in various locations - on and near the open part of the bridge for example - and they are quite popular at various times of the day. One can also "lay in the net" under the bowsprit. If deckchairs have been "reserved" by people by putting towels on them, and there are no others available, and those people are not using them, then there is (hopefully still is) a rule on the ship whereby you can remove those towels, place them under the deckchairs, and use the deckchairs yourself. I suggest you do not be deterred from going on the Clippers by the deckchair debate - the "good" things should win for you - by a big margin.

We had no problem with deck seating on either of our cruises, or any of the other sailing ship cruises we've taken. Smaller ships=fewer passengers, so you get to know more of them, and people are friendly, welcoming and accommodating. That's why I love the small sailing ships.

Hi we did Costa Rica to Panama on the Flyer last year and we did a cat 4 and cat 6 across the hall from each other. The 6 was the inside cabin. It was perfect for my two kids ages 9, 11 but for adults it might be roughing it. It has no TV, no marble bathroom and has bunk beds with very little room. We joked with the kids it was part vacation part scared straight. We also noticed that the kids neighbors in the 6's where all crew members so I don't know how often they get booked. The 4 was great with a double bed, nice bathroom and TV and DVD player.

Like everyone else we spent most of our time up on deck. The only exception was when the kids where tired and all 4 of us went into the cat 4 and watched DVDs of the Pirates of the Caribbean. We where cozy but comfortable.

Have fun! The panama canal was truly one of the coolest experiences of my life. We got off in Panama but we where in lake Gatun visiting the smithsonion tropical research station when the Flyer sailed by us. later that week we tranisted the canal and it was really cool.

Have fun!

Archived