Need Information

Traveler30

I am thinking of taking my 1st Solo Cruise, and I need some help.

I am 72 years old, and this would be my first solo cruise. I am a Widow of 16 months, my Husband and I loved to cruise, we have done 30 cruises (25 with Princess.) We both love to cruise. My questions are How many days would you cruise 10 or 14? What about Dining Traditional or anytime? How do you manage your luggage especially at disembarkation.

Which Cruise Line would be best for me?

I think the first time will be very hard, as you always have those memories of the good times you have had on Cruises.

I like to meet people, but I am an Introvert, is that a big problem?

If anyone can help me I would be very greatful.

Thank you

lottowin

I am 72 years old, and this would be my first solo cruise. I am a Widow of 16 months, my Husband and I loved to cruise, we have done 30 cruises (25 with Princess.) We both love to cruise. My questions are

How many days would you cruise 10 or 14? 14

What about Dining Traditional or anytime? Traditional

How do you manage your luggage especially at disembarkation. Utilize a porter that are there to assist you at disembarkation.

Which Cruise Line would be best for me? Seeing as you are a seasoned Princess cruiser, why wouldn't that be your first choice? Go with what you are used to.

I think the first time will be very hard, as you always have those memories of the good times you have had on Cruises. Go with the attitude that you will be making new "me" memories.

I like to meet people, but I am an Introvert, is that a big problem? It's only a big problem if you make it a big problem. You will have to come out of your shell somewhat but only you can decide how much is enough or how much is too much.

Thank you

lottowin

Book your cruise and start packing and get ready to enjoy yourself. Going by your screen name, I have no idea how much you won but congrats to you on winning. My role in the lotteries is simply to donate to the cause. LOL

Thank you for the information. I think I will go with Princess, the reason I was asking was that I thought maybe another cruise line would be better for a Solo.

No I did not win the lotto, that is just a dream, that name lottowin was chosen by my husband, wishful thinking. I should try and change it.

Lottowin

Thank you for the information. I think I will go with Princess, the reason I was asking was that I thought maybe another cruise line would be better for a Solo.

No I did not win the lotto, that is just a dream, that name lottowin was chosen by my husband, wishful thinking. I should try and change it.

Lottowin

Lottowin, I have cruised most of the main stream lines as a solo and haven't found a big difference in any of them as far as travelling as a solo. I would agree that since you are familiar with Princess it would be a good fit for your first solo experience. I also agree with what the other poster offered as advice for you. The only thing I would add is that since you are a little introverted as you say, then I would join the roll call for that trip and that would give you the chance to meet some people aboard ship that have a common interest with you. The roll call is a great way to meet people and connect with someone else on the ship. Happy sailing.

I am 72 years old, and this would be my first solo cruise. I am a Widow of 16 months, my Husband and I loved to cruise, we have done 30 cruises (25 with Princess.) We both love to cruise. My questions are How many days would you cruise 10 or 14? What about Dining Traditional or anytime? How do you manage your luggage especially at disembarkation.

Which Cruise Line would be best for me?

I think the first time will be very hard, as you always have those memories of the good times you have had on Cruises.

I like to meet people, but I am an Introvert, is that a big problem?

Thank you

lottowin

I would cruise as many days as I can reasonable afford. The longer; the better.

Solos should always booked traditional dining. This way you have a set group of people to dine with each night and it's easier to get to know people over a course of a trip. If you don't like your table mates asked the head waiter to move you. I wouldn't recommend At Time Dining if you are an introverted person as you would have to meet new people each night. That can be hard at times.

Princess, HAL or Celebrity would be good lines for you.

Don't worry about being an introvert. Just get out of your cabin and participate in group activities...like trivia, dance class, arts & crafts, organized group shore tour. Yes, it does mean you have to get out of your comfort zone and maybe doing something you wouldn't normally do, but that's can be a good thing. Before you know it you're meeting people and laughing and having great time.

Go with a positive attitude, smile and don't be embarrass to let people know you're traveling solo. Plan, plan and do your homework before your cruise. Learn everything and anything about your ship and the ports you will visit. Make a list of things you want to do and see. Absolutely get involved and actively participation in your ship's roll call. Maybe even help set up an Cruisecritic gathering/party once onboard your cruise. Lastly, please come back to Cruisecritic and let us know how your cruise was. It can be very helpful to others in your same situation.

Luggage...get some good luggage with rollers. There are porters at the pier to help you with your luggage. The less luggage you have; the better.

Book your cruise and start packing and get ready to enjoy yourself. Going by your screen name, I have no idea how much you won but congrats to you on winning. My role in the lotteries is simply to donate to the cause. LOL

Hi Tink

I've just been on the Roll Call for the Celebrity Constelation 7th April and a few of the postees are wondering where you are, they are missing you :)

Hope you are well and look forward to seeing you back on the 'connections' posts.

Ttfn

lollyk

Bonjour!

My hat is off to you for continuing to travel. My late wife and I had been on 26 cruises. I was widowed 6 years ago, but I am male, and IMO it is easier for a solo male.

My first trip after my wife passed away was just to "get out of Dodge"-to escape the 4 walls and the memories. As I got more comfortable, I took a few land tours to China and the Trans Siberian Express.

Finally I got back to cruising on the Hebridean Princess.

The advice others gave here is good-get involved in some of the activities and make new friends.

I am probably in the minority...but for your first solo cruise I think I would try a shorter cruise..maybe 5-7 nights...you may decide cruising is no longer your vacation of choice...not saying you will...but just something to consider...I think you are wise to have given yourself some time...I went on my first cruise alone only 2 months after my husband died..and for me..that was way to soon...

Just plan your vacation & you will get involved with all, a everyone will be there. Don't worry about being an introvert. Just get out of your cabin and participate in group activities. Go with a positive attitude, smile and don't be embarrass to let people know you're traveling solo.

My husband and I enjoyed cruising so when he died I did not know if I could go by myself. It has been ten years this year and I have gone on about five solo cruises and some with friends. I now perfer the solo since I like not to have to worry about others and what they want. This I decided on the part of a world cruise with 5 sea days and no one but me to worry about. I would start out with 7 days because that first solo was hard for me and work up. I am elite on princess and feel like I have come home so that might be the best. I did

RC last year with beatifull cabin, but the food was not good so I am back on Princess this year.

Travelor30, I am so sorry for your loss and relate to where you are in your life. I am a widow of 2-1/2 years and my DH and I loved cruising too. I am seriously considering a solo cruise myself. I agree that a familiar line would be the best so I will go on Carnival or Norwegian I believe, as those are the two we travelled. In the very early years we went on Commodore which was wonderful but it is no more. I love the advice someone gave of not being embarassed to be solo. That is so encouraging. I remember the first cruise we ever took, we were seated with a young lady who was travelling on her own and we at first felt sad for her. But then we both agreed that it was a very safe, fun choice as a solo trip. That's why I really feel my honey would want me to do this and yours would want you too as well. As far as being introverted, that is the great thing about cruising, you can mix or mingle....or not. You can be alone....or not. I personally am looking forward to some time on my own to reflect, journal, and remember with a smile. I do think dining with others is a good idea, just to have a connection so I will probably do the arranged dining. Good luck to you and take care. :)

Archived