Reduced Dining Capacity

Blackrat

Hi,

We are on the Arcadia in June on the Baltic cruise J205.

I got an email today to say that the Belvedere restaurant will be undergoing some improvement work and will have reduced serving capacity during this cruise. There will be additional dining options in the Meridian restaurant.

Is this sort of thing unusual? Does anyone have experience of this sort of thing? Did it work out alright?

I would interested in any feedback.

Thanks,

Blackrat

Hi,

We are on the Arcadia in June on the Baltic cruise J205.

I got an email today to say that the Belvedere restaurant will be undergoing some improvement work and will have reduced serving capacity during this cruise. There will be additional dining options in the Meridian restaurant.

Is this sort of thing unusual? Does anyone have experience of this sort of thing? Did it work out alright?

I would interested in any feedback.

Thanks,

Blackrat

Can't see a problem to dine in the main dining room instead of the buffet, breakfast is lovely in there anyway. I avoid the buffet as much as possible after embarkation lunch!. After 3 cruises on Arcadia, I would say that any improvements to the belvedere would be worth doing as it does have a flow problem with queues building up in certain places, hope they sort it out.

Hope they get rid of those NOISY trolleys that the staff wheel around - collecting plates, etc. I know that it is work that just has to be done - but the design of those trolleys makes a very nice place sound similar to a factory canteen! :p

Barry

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping that they have given this a bit of thought and everything will run smoothly, we will see.

I wonder if it would be quicker to do the work in port working 24hrs for a couple of days. Yes it costs money to keep the ship in port, but would it work out cheaper in the long run if multiple jobs were done this way?

A bit like motorways, have one lane shut for months while the work goes on or shut the road completely for a week with 24 hour working?

Blackrat

What a bonus.. the smash and grab .. Beleverdere is in need of a revamp its never really flowed and there are far TOO FEW tea and coffee stations so queue form which you dont get on Oriana were there are double the stations. The walk around the Beleverdere to get everything you want is long !!! yogurt one side cereals the other toast somewhere else...

Dont bother go to the main dining room... plenty of choice and peace and quite.

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping that they have given this a bit of thought and everything will run smoothly, we will see.

I wonder if it would be quicker to do the work in port working 24hrs for a couple of days. Yes it costs money to keep the ship in port, but would it work out cheaper in the long run if multiple jobs were done this way?

A bit like motorways, have one lane shut for months while the work goes on or shut the road completely for a week with 24 hour working?

Blackrat

There are folk who love the self serve so if it closed fully and people had booked expecting to use it I can hear the lawyers rubbing thier hands together... complaints the lot.. the moaners will be in force as it is...

We can think of nothing worse than having breakfast in the main dining room. We almost always have breakfast in the cabin, but occasionally use the buffet and we use the buffet a lot at lunchtimes and in the evenings, so I would have concerns about a reduced service.

Hopefully it won't inconvenience you too much.

• 2 months later...

The buffet was closed for a couple of days on our recent cruise on Oceana and with various tweaks to the usual arrangements, everything seemed to go smoothly. For example, lunches were served on deck and there was cold food available for breakfast in the buffet. There were no problems as far as I'm aware during the closure but there was carnage afterwards :D. There were so many teething problems like the continual breakdowns of the dishwasher so there was a constant shortage of cutlery and plates and paper cups prevailed ... and lots of bad tempers!!

Hopefully it will all be fine. We were trying to choose between 2 cruises, this one and a Med one, had I known this in advance I would probably have chosen the Med.

I quite like breakfast in the buffet, haven't yet tried cabin brekkie and didn't really like MDR breakfast as it usually means trying to make conversation first thing, not my forte.

I will be interested to see how Arcadia compares to Oceana

Blackrat

Archived