Star/Sun Aft Suites - Lavazza and other questions

BabsterA

Hi, all! Just off the Pearl and already planning for 2014's cruise. It's a milestone birthday year so looking at a 10-12 day Caribbean cruise. We already have the Star booked for January 2013 out of New Orleans.

Question 1: Does anyone know if NCL has added Lavazza coffee makers in the suites on the Star and on the Sun? We really enjoyed having that on the Pearl!

Question 2: Our first NCL cruise was on the Sun in a corner aft suite 9276. Does anyone know if the balcony on the deck above is significantly bigger? Any pro/cons to choosing between the two?

Question 3: I read a semi-recent review of the Sun and the writer indicated there was no wi-fi available in the suite. Has that amenity been added? I LOVE being able to check email (ok, and Facebook).

I haven't decided yet whether to choose our standard late January timeframe in 2014 or to wait until October/November itineraries come out (that's my actual birthday timeframe.) Other than an increased risk for hurricanes since the season isn't over until the end of November, is there any reason to choose one timeframe over the other for a Southern Caribbean itinerary?

Loved loved loved the Haven 2 bedroom suite on the Pearl, but really looking forward to returning to the aft view! HOWEVER, still considering the forward Owners Suite on the Sun, IF the balcony isn't too windy to enjoy while underway. Any thoughts about that? I travel with my adult son and we both really enjoy sitting on the balcony in the early mornings, on sea days, and in the evenings. Since we both carry iPads for reading books, some shade does come in handy!

Thoughts about any/all of the above?

I have heard that the Sun does not have the Lavazza machines. The Star does have them, we've loved them!

The forward balconies can be windy at times, it all depends on speed and the weather. When we had the forward balcony on the Star we were able to use it most days. Great views!

Thanks for the quick response! We're already looking forward to out Star cruise. She was berthed at the same pier with us in Cozumel and looked fabulous!!!! We could even see our future cabin as she left that evening. Did you check out the spa?

I cruised in 9076 on the Sun and chose a deck between 2 pax decks. I donot think deck 10 corner aft suite has a bigger deck. See the pic in my avatar. I had read in some reviews that on deck 10 some people had trash such as banana peels thrown over. Also, deck 9 is a little more away from the crowds who lean over to look into balconies.

Ours did not have lavazza or wifi in 2009 but I had heard suites were going to be wired for it after our cruise. Note: the owners suites do have the lavazza. Also, the hot tub is very shallow.

Thanks, Donna! I read the same thing about food/cigs being tossed onto balconies on 10, so I think 9 is my choice if we don't go with the owners suite. Crossing my fingers that a recent Sun cruiser can give good news about wifi/lavazza.

Go with deck 9. We did have food tossed not only onto our balcony, but onto us when some numbskull thought they were feeding the fish. I had to go up to show them where they were tossing the food. It was such a shame becaus we were so excited about the cabin when we booke, but it turns out that it really was awful.

Donna

Juneau, this is why Cruise Critic is such a great forum! Having so many 'been there, done that" friends to provide insight, tips, and guidance helps insure that every cruise is as good as it can be.

For the 2013 trip we've selected 9232 on the Star and for my birthday cruise in 2014 we'll definitely look at the suites below the top passenger deck. Still trying to decide between our usual late January sailing (I can book any time now) or wait for the full 2014 itineraries and sail in late October/November around my actual birthday. For that one, I want a 10+ day sailing but not out of New York.

So far the Sun looks like our best bet to fill that order and we're looking at either 9276 or possibly an Owners Suite. I worry about the wind there and LOVE having the doors between the living area and the bedroom in the aft suites. Decisions decisions, but loads of time to make them, right????

Archived