Help...Victoria excursions

CruzerKat

Hi everyone,

I am posting this in a couple of spots on this site to get feed back.

We will be in Victoria from about 5:00 till midnight From the Sapphire Princess cruise.

There are only two shore excursions I am interested in but do not have time to do both.

One is Buchart Gardens and the other is the Horse drawn trolley tour.

I really want to see the gardens but it won't be in the prime day light hours in order to get good pictures of all the colors etc.

But if I do the gardens then I feel like I'm only seeing a small part of this beautiful city.

Please help with this!! :eek:

The trolley tour and Gardens is described below:

Experience the beauty of Victoria by horse-drawn trolley and take a trip back to “Victorian Times.”

Your fully narrated journey begins at the ship and heads along the waterfront, giving you time to enjoy the majestic and ever changing views across the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the Olympic Mountains. Travel through historic James Bay and into Beacon Hill Park, the natural heart of Victoria. The 154 acres of carefully preserved trees, gardens and wildflower meadows provide a peaceful haven amidst a bustling community.

Continue on to Government Street, past wonderfully maintained heritage homes and into downtown. Return through Victoria’s Old Town, enjoying a view of the landmark Legiress Hotel. You may choose to remain downtown for shopping and sighing or return to your

cruise ship pier. of the landmark Legislative Buildings and the Empress Hotel. You may choose to remain downtown for shopping and sightseeing or return to your

cruise ship pier.

Enchanting Butchart Gardens

An extraordinary world emerges at dusk as hundreds of hidden lights transform famous Butchart Gardens into a fairyland scented with summer blooms.

This vibrant wonderland of flowers, rare trees and winding paths takes on an enchanted aspect with its magical lighting display. The magnificent Ross Fountain, the centerpiece of these lush gardens, dances with creative lighting effects. Enjoy cascading fountains, footbridges, music and outdoor

entertainment while you learn how a barren rock quarry was transformed into a world renowned

horticultural attraction.

Hi everyone,

I am posting this in a couple of spots on this site to get feed back.

We will be in Victoria from about 5:00 till midnight From the Sapphire Princess cruise.

There are only two shore excursions I am interested in but do not have time to do both.

One is Buchart Gardens and the other is the Horse drawn trolley tour.

Hi CruzerKat:

One of the biggest complaints that cruise passengers have, who visit Victoria from 1700 to 2400, is that they wish the cruise line would reschedule to have an early morning to late afternoon Victoria port visit to have more time in this beautiful capital city of British Columbia (BC).

As a fellow cruiser who lives in Victoria, BC, I would recommend the World Famous Butchart Gardens. You did not state what month you'll be here, but if it is approx June, give or take, sunset is not until approx 2100 hrs. Besides, the Gardens and fountains are lighted at night and are very beautiful at that time. No problems for picture taking.

If you are still able, you may want to schedule a side trip back to Victoria from Seattle as a day trip.

Here are some URL's about the Gardens, Victoria, reviews, and side trips:

http://www.butchartgardens.com/main.php

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/Content/EN/524.asp

http://www.epinions.com/Butchart_Gardens/display_~reviews

http://www.victoriaclipper.com/ferry_schedule

As a side note, over the last few years, Victoria, BC, was judged to be one of the top three tourist destinations in the world.

Also, another little bit of trivia, Victoria, BC, was rated the top place to retire in Canada and the USA in style, based on approx 15 criteria, URL here:

http://www.csun.edu/pubrels/press_releases/spring05/retire.html

Hope this helps and enjoy your visit to Victoria!

Cheers,

Mike

I love Victoria (I was fortunate to attend University there as well as to be able to visit many times) and I would recommend doing the tour to Butchart Gardens. In the best of both worlds it is nice to visit in the very late afternoon and go around again after dark but in any case it is not to be missed.

I'm in that group of people that wish the cruise lines would schedule longer stays in the city. It is too beautiful to be given such short shrift!!

If you have the interest definatly Butchart Gardens. :) It is beautiful at night, and consider heading to your library and getting some tips on low light, night photography. Pull out your camera manual, and consider this. You could be well rewarded with just excellent photos. Key is having a stable base, I use posts, walls, etc for the shots, a good investment can be a monopod, don't hand hold.

Archived