My Experience on the Norwegian Jewel - February 11 2012

krzi

Exactly.

When it comes to a cruise, there's two things I don't know how people can find a reason to complain about:

1) food

There's hundreds of things you can choose to eat and nothing suits you?

2) service

The staff on cruise ships are top-notch. Most issues come up because of difficult customers. I can't stand it when I see rude guests.

I do not believe I said the food was bad, nor did I say the staff on the cruise ship was not top-notch. On the recent experience on 2/11/2012 I did feel the dining room service was not up to par to most other cruises I have been on, therefore I stated poor service in the main dining room (note I did not say the service was bad as I did have 2 great experiences out of the 7).

For those who took the time to read my posting on my blog with a detailed explanation you would have understood where I was coming from. My goal is not to state any facts, however it is to provide my fellow readers on cruise critic with my opinion(s).

As I stated multiple times, I have worked in the service industry. it is not the dining room staff's fault they were less attentive, instead the cruise line is at fault for not adequately staffing so the crew members are not overworked. My review is based solely on my experience and I am sure you will also have an amazing time next Saturday when you go on the Jewel as I did. However I am hoping more NCL Cruisers will openly state their opinions so that in the near future NCL will continue to improve their freestyle dining system as it will revolutionize the cruising industry.

Hi - very good review.

However I want to correct what you said in your blog:

"Upon walking through the ship on the first day I was unable to find the bowling lanes on the Jewel and realized that was because the Bliss Ultra Lounge (on the Gem) has been replaced by the Duty Free Shop (on the jewel) making the Duty free shop enormous, however the Fyzz Lounge rather smaller for a karaoke lounge and bar."

Jewel and Jade were the first two of the Jewel class ships built and neither have bowling alleys nor Bliss Lounge. They have Duty Free shop on deck 7 Aft and lounge mid-ship.

Pearl and Gem were the next two built in the Jewel class, and both have Bliss Lounge with bowling alley in deck 7 aft and duty-free shop mid-ship.

The Epic has Bliss, and she has two bowling alleys in two different locations - Bliss and O'Sheehan's.

Cheers.

Hi - very good review.

However I want to correct what you said in your blog:

"Upon walking through the ship on the first day I was unable to find the bowling lanes on the Jewel and realized that was because the Bliss Ultra Lounge (on the Gem) has been replaced by the Duty Free Shop (on the jewel) making the Duty free shop enormous, however the Fyzz Lounge rather smaller for a karaoke lounge and bar."

Jewel and Jade were the first two of the Jewel class ships built and neither have bowling alleys nor Bliss Lounge. They have Duty Free shop on deck 7 Aft and lounge mid-ship.

Pearl and Gem were the next two built in the Jewel class, and both have Bliss Lounge with bowling alley in deck 7 aft and duty-free shop mid-ship.

The Epic has Bliss, and she has two bowling alleys in two different locations - Bliss and O'Sheehan's.

Cheers.

I think those that read the blog realize that the OP was on the Gem first and now went on the Jewel and incorrectly thought they were exactly alike. Had the OP realized that the features he liked on the Gem were improvements over the Jewel and not changes left out on the Jewel, he would have appreciated the changes made when building the Gem.

Just a general response:

First of all, out of all my cruises, the Jewel is still our favorite.

IMHO, all cruise lines are getting pinched in trying to control expenses and in some cases it is noticeable.

I've noticed that my perception is different from cruise to cruise for some reason as my expectations are a moving target. It may be my current out look on life or whatever but service has always been fine. I can honestly say I've rarely had what I would call "bad", just some better than others.

I do not remember Baccarat but maybe I missed it.

For my favorite cruise ship, I do not miss having a bowling alley, rock climbing, zip lines, whatever on a ship (I do admit though I am partial to a good water slide though).

I do thank the OP for his comments and can't figure out why some need to come to the rescue of the cruise line when one kills a sacred cow for some reason. Geez, lighten up - you can tell when someone is really off base with their criticisms but it didn't seem like this was one of those:rolleyes:.

I guess that's why I am noticing that I am logging on in here less and less.

Cheers.

That is understandable, and good to know. I must say I do like the improvements they had on the Gem. The Bowling Alleys were not a great hit for us on the Gem, however it was just fun having them around for a game or two especially during rough seas.

I've noticed that my perception is different from cruise to cruise for some reason as my expectations are a moving target. It may be my current out look on life or whatever but service has always been fine. I can honestly say I've rarely had what I would call "bad", just some better than others.

Don't get me wrong here I felt the service overall was great and gave it 5 stars, I also do not think it is about the cruise lines trying to save money, but rather poor staffing on NCL's part (I saw this in both the Gem and the Jewel).

An example of the poor staffing in my opinion: I saw at the MDR is how they have 3-4 people per section setting up a table and then those 3-4 people stand in a corner and chat until another table is needed to be setup, while the waiter and the assistants are running between 9 tables. Instead of standing around they are easily capable of assisting the waiters and assistants. I do understand everyone has a specific task but I feel there is no reason to need 3-4 people setup one table at a time, I feel two people would be able to do that job well.

and liked them.

Thanks for the review. I know now where to go for my favorite food .... chicken wings.

You would love it, I remember when I was on the gem we just sat at the blue lagoon and kept getting buckets of beer and wings, we preferred mild because they were crispy, the hot was a bit too soggy for our taste.

Archived