Inside Cabins

GailnBrad

My 1st three cruises were inside, then went with a balcony on my last one. OMG, I loved the balcony cabin! Wish I could always sail in a balcony cabin. But my upcoming cruise will be an inside and I'm just as exicted about it. The balcony cabin cost almost $300 more pp than an inside, but I wanted to see what it was like to sail for 7 nights in a balcony cabin, so I went for it. Many say "you're never in your cabin anyway", which is true. However, the time that we did spend in there was so much more enjoyable IMO. Having said that, I won't ever hesitate to stay in an inside cabin in the future. I've read that once you sail in a balcony you'll never want to go back, but for me it's matter of cost and how many times you'd like to cruise in the future. And I want to cruise alot!!! I've never felt closed in and I don't think I ever would. I do bring a night light for the bathroom and a clock that I can see in the dark. I also make sure I get a wake up call, so I won't oversleep and miss out on all the fun!!! :):):)

Can anyone tell me if the room feels or looks bigger if you have the bed set up as twins instead of a queen? This is our first time ever of having a inside cabin. Other cruises bed has been in queen size. Thanks

Cheryl

Can anyone tell me if the room feels or looks bigger if you have the bed set up as twins instead of a queen? This is our first time ever of having a inside cabin. Other cruises bed has been in queen size. Thanks

Cheryl

i personaly think it LOOKS smaller mainly cus u walk in and a few feet down and the carpet stops and theres the bed.. where as when its twin the floor goes on much longer to the wall. like an illusion if u will.. of course if the beds r set at the end of the room head to foot w the door. not parallel to the window ( if that made sense )

• 20 plus cruises .... over 18 plus inside cabins.
  • Never an issue of feeling closed in.
  • Never an issue with no window as their is generally a larger wall mirror to give the illusion of a window .
  • Never stay very long in the cabin because theres so much to do.
  • Food, entertainments, drinks, etc is the same regardless of the cabin catagory
  • Money saved by having an inside cabin for excursions and other on-board costs ......PRICELESS !!!

+ 1 We are thinking about an inside cabin too.

• 20 plus cruises .... over 18 plus inside cabins.
  • Never an issue of feeling closed in.
  • Never an issue with no window as their is generally a larger wall mirror to give the illusion of a window .
  • Never stay very long in the cabin because theres so much to do.
  • Food, entertainments, drinks, etc is the same regardless of the cabin catagory
  • Money saved by having an inside cabin for excursions and other on-board costs ......PRICELESS !!!

I have always booked an inside cabin but have been fortunate to be upgraded twice. On Princess we were given an outside wheelchair room and on Celebrity we were given a balcony. :)

The outside wheelchair room was great because the sleeping area and washroom seemed 30% larger. (2 in the bathroom, easily) I would pay extra for this room but cruise lines will not sell this room to non handicapped guests and warns of repercussions if caught.

We were so excited when we received our balcony upgrade. When we opened the curtains in the port of Valletta it was spectacular. We did not use the balcony again until having breakfast near the end of the cruise. While the room was great and would take it in an upgrade, I won't be paying extra for it. I too would rather spend the cash on excursions.

Are inside cabins...on any ship...really claustrophobic...with NO natural light....does it get disorienting not having light to wake up to in the morning?

I have alway had an inside cabin....hardly in it anyway.

We choose inside cabins which are mid-ship. These are the most stable when the seas get rough.We like the room dark when we sleep, for night, or naps.When we've sailed Alaska, the Baltic, and transatlantic via Iceland, the number of hours which were in darkness, as very low,(sometimes 3 hours per day). Our sleep was never affected.When we tryed OV, much light came in through the edges of the drapes. During our one & only cruise in a suite, we were awaken many nights by the noise of the balcony furniture on the deck above us, as the chairs were dragged around. Our last cruise was 39 days,(transPacific), and we enjoyed all of them in our inside cabin. We are not claustrophobic. If you are,"inside" wouldn't be a good option.

In my 24 cruises I have 3 balconies, and one window (which was a free upgrade from an inside). I like the inside cabins. Twice with the balconies I've had smokers in the cabin next to me -- I'm not a smoker, and the smoke does make the balconies less enjoyable for me. Another reason we get a inside -- my wife's son and family need 2 connecting cabins where one cabin sleeps 4. On the Voyager class ships we've been on (Voyager of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas), this is available only for inside cabins. In fact, I can't find any balcony cabin on those (connecting or not) that sleeps 4 except for suites. Several sleep 3, but for some reason apparently no non-suite balcony cabin has a 4th pullman bed.

:)

The outside wheelchair room was great because the sleeping area and washroom seemed 30% larger. (2 in the bathroom, easily) I would pay extra for this room but cruise lines will not sell this room to non handicapped guests and warns of repercussions if caught.

FYI - As of January 1, 2012 a new Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly refered to as DOT) became effective that requires that the

the cruise lines to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . Though this new regulation came about in 2010/2011 , the cruise lines were granted until January 1, 2012 to completely comply to these new regulations . Because of this new law Cruise lines have also had to reclassify there HC cabins as demonstrated on RCCL's website when booking a cabin. Some of the key points to this new law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Under the new laws the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past and at which time any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking.

Archived