Junkanoo Question

cmdknw

We will be in Nassau at the end of March (spring break time) and have an 8 year old son...We don't really want to pay to do anything, but would like to maybe go to Junkanoo and let our son play a bit and us get some cheaper drinks!

We are torn between Junkanoo and just hitting up Senor Frogs for a little bit. DS has said he doesn't even have to get off the ship...so obviously, he isn't picky!

Scubagirl--any suggestions? I would prefer my 8 year old not be introduced to lots of nudity at Junkanoo spring break!

We will be in Nassau at the end of March (spring break time) and have an 8 year old son...We don't really want to pay to do anything, but would like to maybe go to Junkanoo and let our son play a bit and us get some cheaper drinks!

We are torn between Junkanoo and just hitting up Senor Frogs for a little bit. DS has said he doesn't even have to get off the ship...so obviously, he isn't picky!

Scubagirl--any suggestions? I would prefer my 8 year old not be introduced to lots of nudity at Junkanoo spring break!

Public nudity is against the law in the bahamas..

But it doesn't mean their won't be alot of hot bodies around.

Senor Frogs will be a zoo..it's no place for an 8 year old boy.

If you go further up the beach at Junkanoo (closer to Arawak Cay) .. you should be able to get away from the crowds.. Of course. anywhere there are Cheap drinks.. you'll find Spring Breakers.

Just seconding scubagirl's comments (not that they need seconding!). We were there 2 days ago and would never, ever take a child to Senor Frogs, even during a slower time. Spring Break there will be just totally out of line for a kid (IMO).

It was mid-winter break, so lots of kids/young adults along Junkanoo Beach, but no one we saw was out of line. A real party, but certainly no nudity going on (other than the obvious barely-there bikinis, but you'll see that everywhere).

Also seconding scubagirl's comment about going a bit further down the beach. There were probably only 8 or 10 families down that way, as opposed to the hundereds closer to the dock end of the beach.

We were there one week ago. It was fine. It is not a one-block walk, though. Stop on the way for refreshments. There were many children in the water, families. I would've have felt safe with my children or grandchildren along. I did see several locals walking along the beach with things to sell, women looking to make money through braiding, etc., but no one approached us - zero. I wondered if the tourist guides are now advising the peddlers not to approach the visitors, just letting us approach them if we are interested in their wares. Having said that - we kept a very close eye on our things, as I'm sure you would. We rented chairs ($10 each), but many did not. I have to say that the tiniest bikini we saw later turned out to be a cruise ship security officer, ha. Spending a day in the sand, the clear water, the sun, has got to beat any minute in Senor Frogs.

Archived