Anyone familiar with SCRIP certificates?

gratamama

Hi, i've asked a question related to this before, so I'm sorry about that.

We booked ES in December for an April cruise. My son goes to a private school and I bought these "SCRIP" certificates through his school. Basically the school gets a percentage back for selling these.

I've been watching fares because I booked ES, but i've been denied because Carnival says i can't get it with SCRIP certificates? (I only paid some, not every last dollar, of the fare with these)

My question/ comment is this: They are basically denying me because of the form of payment I made. I've never heard of this! Can anyone point me to language that explicitly says you can't do this? I am yet to find anything that shows I'm wrong. At this point we're talking about $210 in price drops so it is very hard for me to let this go. (Latest price drop is a resident rate)

thanks!

Since money is being paid to the charity, Carnival is discounting your fare. There have been other threads about this.. I could do a search for you if you cant find the search button. Its not a topic that most on here will be familiar with, so other than some threads where people are talking about never using them again, you probably wouldnt find much good info.

Here is the longest thread on the topic of scripts.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=scripts

Here is a good way to think of this .. someone paid for their cruise in credit card points and now wants CASH back for the points. Its the same type of thing. If you didnt pay with actual cash, but in another form of payment, they arent going to give you a refund in cash.

Hi!

I used a SCRIP for my upcoming Freedom cruise, and wound up confusing just about everyone in the Customer Care department.

Take a look at your revised statement post-SCRIP. Notice the fare is lower than your original statement. That's because the promo department has to do all sorts of voodoo economics to apply SCRIP dollars: reduce the pp fare, credit the taxes, then add in a miscellaneous charge equivalent to the fare reduction + credits, THEN apply the SCRIP dollars as payments.

I spoke to no less than 4 people, asking them to explain it to me, and they all simply told me, "I dunno, but this is the only way we can enter Scrip dollars."

I booked ES too, but now I can't get a price reduct unless the fare drops below the ADJUSTED rate. :rolleyes: no big whoop to me, though, because it doesn't look like my upcoming cruise stands a chance of dropping the prices.

sorry you are having trouble. I used scrip for both of my previous cruises. I was too naive to know about rate drops for my first cruise but submitting the scrip certs. for payment was easy with no confusion from anyone. 2nd cruise I booked at past guest rate and again used scrip. Did get a price drop on that cruise but we opted to upgrade instead of getting obc. Not sure if you have a PVP, but mine talked me through how to communicate with customer service prior to my requesting the upgrade and it was seemless. I'm guessing you might be able to get an upgrade, but probably no cash back.

Wow. Things must have changed a lot since our last two cruises. We used SCRIP for both, booked ES on both, and received OBC for both when the comparable fares went down. No hassles, and no adjustments associated with the use of the SCRIP program. The last time we used these was in 2010, so I suppose things could have changed, though.

Archived