Dolphin Quest and other questions

alwalaska

Our ship is in port for 3 days. On the last day, I expect All Aboard to be around 4:30 pm. We don't plan on spending time this day on the beach or snorkeling. We are not big shoppers, so shopping would only last about 30 minutes before people started to lose interest.

1. Is there enough to do between the Maritime Museum, touring the Dockyard Glassworks, and possibly the glass beach to keep us busy for the day, or should we plan on getting the 3 day transportation pass and seeing things we missed on the other days in the morning?
  2. If our friends are doing Dolphin Quest while we are touring the Maritime Museum, will be we be able to take pictures of them?
  3. Is there anything else in the Dockyard area that I have not included?

My daughter and I did the two day pass last November when we were in Bermuda. On the third day we stayed in the Dockyard area. The Maritime Museum is really a great place to visit. There is a lot of reading to do around the artifacts. You can watch the Dolphin Quest and get pictures when you are inside the Musuem. The Glass Beach is within walking distance but easy to get to on the Bus also. There is also the Clocktower Mall there for shopping and a Bermuda Craft Market. Also several free standing shops. One is a pottery artist. There was one man in the Craft Market making beautiful jewelry out of fiber optic cable. You would never guess that is what it is made of. There is a bar and restaurant opposit the Craft Market. There is also Snorkle Beach there. It costs $5 a person to get into but it is a nice sheltered beach for swimming on the last day. You should not have any problem filling your third day around the Dockyard. We did St. George's the first day. Don't miss the dunking of the town wench at noon in the Town Square, every day. We did The Glass Beach, Gibbs Lighthouse and Horshoe Bay Beach the second day and then the Dockyard the third day. I like to be able to see the ship and know I can get back on in time for sail off. As you can probably tell, I have been to Bermuda several times and loved each of my trips.

We cruised to Bermuda last May. My DS and his wife and 2 year old daughter did the Dolphin quest. We were able to watch and take wonderful pictures!! There are pictures available from there photographer that are excellent but costly. The gift shop has Christmas ornaments and other photo stuff as well, Easy to dump $$$$. The museum is great and takes as little or as much time as you want. We enjoyed seeing how the sheep appeared and disappeared. We also enjoyed taking pictures of the ship from up top.:D

You will definitely be able to take pictures even if you are not doing the dolphin quest yourself. We sat and watched others and got pictures of the dolphins while we walked around the area. We spent our third day around the museum, shipyard, clocktower mall, etc. You can do all of it in a small amount of time or take longer if you'd like. We did a snorkel tour on one of the earlier days and then did not even see the snorkel park until the third day and would have had time to go over there! The water in Bermuda is so clear when you are over at the Commissioners House looking over the wall you can see the fish in the water and look out and see the coral reef's. Keep in mind that there are very good restaurants but very pricey. You may want to go back to the ship to eat lunch and go back out for the rest of the afternoon for sightseeing. Bermuda is beautiful. Enjoy!

bankermom wrote: ....You may want to go back to the ship to eat lunch and go back out for the rest of the afternoon for sightseeing.....

I don't completely agree with that statement. If you are touring the Dockyard and your cruise ship is at the Dockyard, then I agree with the above statement; but if you are in St George, the caves or BAMZ, I would eat locally and not waste my precious time traveling to the cruise ship for lunch. You only have so may hours in Bermuda, don't waste them on travel time. JMHO

SBtS

bankermom wrote: ....You may want to go back to the ship to eat lunch and go back out for the rest of the afternoon for sightseeing.....

I don't completely agree with that statement. If you are touring the Dockyard and your cruise ship is at the Dockyard, then I agree with the above statement; but if you are in St George, the caves or BAMZ, I would eat locally and not waste my precious time traveling to the cruise ship for lunch. You only have so may hours in Bermuda, don't waste them on travel time. JMHO

SBtS

I think that is what they meant. That was at least how I interpreted it.

Since you are on this thread, I'm going to highjack my own thread. It looks like we will be in Hamilton for a meal one day. My plans all got rearranged when our boat rental ended up at 12:30 on our first day in in Bermuda.

I'm now thinking we will do at least part of the frommer's walking tour in Hamilton before our boat rental. We should be back around 6pm. I would like to either take food with us on the boat rental (we get a cooler and can purchase ice) or get something when we get back. I'd like to see the Harbor nights if May 16th isn't too early before we head back to the ship.

Any recommendations for places to get something to take with us, or someplace to eat when we get back. We are 4 slightly picky eaters. Too adults and too teens. We rarely go to expensive dining locations. Normal, middle of the road food seems to please us best. Since we don't drink, bars don't hold any special enticement for us.

The next day, we will probably be in the St George area or near the caves around lunch time. I've heard of SI all over the place, but where else is good?

Thanks.

I was assuming you were docked at the Royal Dockyard. My apologies. ;) It certainly wouldn't make sense to go all the way back to the ship from the other end of the island. Wish I could make recommendations on some restaurants but we only ate out once and even the "small" pizzeria type restaurant we ate at still seemed expensive to us. It was good, but like I said, Bermuda is quite expensive. Just go into it with an open mind. It is very beautiful and take it all in.

I was assuming you were docked at the Royal Dockyard. My apologies. ;) It certainly wouldn't make sense to go all the way back to the ship from the other end of the island. Wish I could make recommendations on some restaurants but we only ate out once and even the "small" pizzeria type restaurant we ate at still seemed expensive to us. It was good, but like I said, Bermuda is quite expensive. Just go into it with an open mind. It is very beautiful and take it all in.

1) I am at the Dockyard. 2) No reason to apologize. I probably will go back to the ship if we stay at the Dockyard the whole day on Friday. I was just looking for suggestions on other days when we are farther away. SBS seems to know a ton about Bermuda and is always willing to jump in with helpful information.

We are on a low budget this trip, so knowing things can be expensive helps prepare us.

Archived