La Coruna to Santiago

swifs

We are back from a cruise from Lisbon to London, and I thought my post today on Santiago de Compostela might be helpful. It was really easy and enjoyable to take the train from A Coruña. The station is about a 5-minute taxi ride from the port, and the walk from the train in Santiago de Compostela to the Old Town is about 15 minutes. It's a wonderful place to visit!

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/?p=1120

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

Dear Mary,

I just quickly read your blog and LOVED it. I am from Canada and live Rick Steves as well. With my travelling, I have became quite extrovert (I guess I was already a good 6.9/10 on the extrovert scale!).

I love your story about the wise Irishmsn who advise you to "Drink it all up!". I guess I loved EVERYTHING about your blog... the pictures of Santiago are also beautiful.

How hard is it to start a blog? Do you have to pay a monthly fee to be able to have access to it? Congratulations again and enjoy your future trips!!!

P.S. You should discover Australia, Vietnam and Bali. You would not regret it.

The Canadians!:D

Check timetables at http://www.renfe.es. It's to early but compare to any Sunday. Services will be similar. In any case should an emergency occur you have an hourly slower service by Monbus Coach company. I highly recommend to hire a car. It's pretty fast and easy getting to Santiago. 67 km motorway.

Great info. Thanks Keltic. You have convinced me. I will finally see Santiago!

And finally you have got the taxi options. Four people would have to share the aprox 200 euros cost rt with a couple of hours waiting time in Santiago. You won't regret it

The Canadians,

Thank you so much for your kind words about the blog! I'm really happy to hear that you're enjoying it and can relate to some of the stories! The blog has been a fun outlet and a great way to connect with fellow travelers. You do need to pay a fee to have a hosting platform and domain name.

I have not been to Australia, Vietnam or Bali, but they are definitely on the dream list!

As for Santiago, I agree with Keltic about finding a way to get there. If you decide to go by train, you can buy your tickets online in advance, which will assure you a specific time and a seat. I'm sure it will be much busier on a Sunday and on a National Holiday, but you will also have a different experience and perspective from those of us who were there on a weekday. My attitude (almost) always is that this is the day I have, so I will figure out a way to make it work!

Thanks again, good luck and happy travels!

Mary

Check timetables at http://www.renfe.es. It's to early but compare to any Sunday. Services will be similar. In any case should an emergency occur you have an hourly slower service by Monbus Coach company. I highly recommend to hire a car. It's pretty fast and easy getting to Santiago. 67 km motorway.

Hi Keltic,

I tried the website mentioned above and could not get an answer (I tried dates in July)...

Here is more input: our cruise will be in Vigo (Monday, October 3 from 8 to 4pm) and in A Coruna (Wed, Oct 12 from 1 pm to 8 pm). Even if the distance between Vigo and Santiago is twice as long, maybe it would be better to select going to Santiago from Vigo on a "regular day" and not on Fiesta Del Pilar. I guess if we love it so much, we could always go back from A Coruna.

Do you know how much is the train from Vigo and from A Coruna? Do you know how far is the train station from the port in Vigo?

Sorry about all the questions but you are a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks in advance

Vigo to Santiago is 88 km and it takes 45 or 90 minutes (regional one). There are two station. Fast trains leave from Urzaiz Station (30 minutes walk or bus 5C from Garcia Barbon Street, 5 minutes walk from the port). Then a station called Guixar by the port about 10 minutes walk. Just for regional services and could take up to 90 minutes to Santiago.

Fares could be from 9 to 11 euros one way if booked online. From La Coruña fares are about 6 to 7 euros.

Vigo to Santiago is 88 km and it takes 45 or 90 minutes (regional one). There are two station. Fast trains leave from Urzaiz Station (30 minutes walk or bus 5C from Garcia Barbon Street, 5 minutes walk from the port). Then a station called Guixar by the port about 10 minutes walk. Just for regional services and could take up to 90 minutes to Santiago.

Fares could be from 9 to 11 euros one way if booked online. From La Coruña fares are about 6 to 7 euros.

Thank you Keltic. You delivered again! You are an angel and we can not wait to visit your beautiful city! The Canadians!:D

Hello all,

We are considering a cruise which will stop at La Coruna on Wednesday, Oct 12, a national holiday. Would it be more difficult to get to Santiago by train? Will everything be closed? We will be docked from 13:00 to 20:00. Maybe it would be smarter to stay in La Coruna... Anyone knows what to expect in La Coruna on Columbus Day?

Thank you

It shouldn't be a problem. I live in La Coruña and even though Oct 12 is a public holiday, the trains to Santiago run quite frequently. It takes only half an hour and costs around €15 round trip. You can take a €5 taxi to the train station from very close to where the ship docks, just outside Plaza María Pita. Easy. My email is below if you get lost!!

It shouldn't be a problem. I live in La Coruña and even though Oct 12 is a public holiday, the trains to Santiago run quite frequently. It takes only half an hour and costs around €15 round trip. You can take a €5 taxi to the train station from very close to where the ship docks, just outside Plaza María Pita. Easy. My email is below if you get lost!!

Thank you MacMaghnusa. We are now all set to visit Santiago!

The Canadiens!:D