What to do with my "stuff" while on the beach?

HeartNP

I got an Aquapac for my expensive camera. It's a PVC case that allows you to take pictures underwater with your regular camera without spending a boatload of money on a waterproof camera. They have several sizes for various cameras, cost about $150, and the bag plus its contents are guaranteed for 3 years.

To be on the safe side, I bring along an extra SD card to use just for our beach and water days. That way, if my camera DOES get ruined, I have the small comfort of knowing that the rest of my vacation pictures are safe.

As for money and credit cards, I have a beach safe or a waterproof pouch. I like the beach safe because it's smaller and less cumbersome, but it is definitely NOT water proof!

Hi All.

I am traveling only with my 8 year old son on the Miracle in April, and I am honestly not sure what to do with all my "stuff" (passport, camera, etc) if we are on a beach excursion, and we are in the water (as I am certain we will be most of the time!). I won't have another person on the beach to leave it with!

What do you all do? I'm also really not sure what to do about my camera. I have a pretty expensive camera (I am very much into photography, used to do it "for real"), and can't imagine NOT having it on the beach, because I love the photos I get with it, but I also have no idea what to do with it while I am swimming!!

What about other excursions, like catamaran/snorkle? Can you leave your stuff on the boat while you snorkel?

I need advice!!! Thank you!

Karen

OK, I totally feel your pain. As someone else who shoots "for real", I know you're not talking about protecting a point & shoot camera. When I was first starting I shot with a Canon Rebel xti and I took it on our cruise but never to the beach..I had it slung cross body for walking in ports and shooting around the ship. We had a point and shoot on the beaches and I thought I'd be happy with that, and I would have, if I didn't have the others to compare them too :( Shorlty after that cruise I upgraded to the 5DMarkII and kept the rebel as back up. Our next cruise I felt completely different about the rebel and treated it like a point and shoot. It came to beaches, we took it horseback riding on a beach (awesome!) and I got the shots I wanted. This year I am wondering about maybe bring the MarkII because the rebel feels like a toy, AND I don't want to carry a flash around at night or inside (hate, hate,hate built in flash!LOL!) Also, the MArkII has amazing video. But seriously.......How crazy would I have to be to carry that off the ship if it wasn't going to be on my body the whole time?!?! SO, I think I'll take both....my husband thinks I'm crazy but he'll be happy with the results. For port days the rebel is fine because you can shoot under 5oo ISO most places during the day, and the older ones are so cheap now that it's worth the small chance of it being taken or damaged. I'll have the MarkII for all other times. I'm sure to take plenty of cards so that "all" of our pics aren't on one card that can be taked or corrupt. All this is to say.......take your nice camera on the ship or places where it's not in huge danger, and get a cheapy old DSLR for the beach etc... A old, cheap, dslr (with an equally cheap 50mm 1.8) will beat a P&S any day if you have great light :) Happy Shooting!!!!!!

KYSS Bag http://www.kyssbags.com/

I got this and used it last week. Everyone Laughed at me but I felt that my stuff was safe and secure.

That's so cool! Why would anyone laugh? It looks normal enough. I sent a link to DH and I was surprised he emailed back and said "go ahead and buy one...just don't get pink" :p

That's so cool! Why would anyone laugh? It looks normal enough. I sent a link to DH and I was surprised he emailed back and said "go ahead and buy one...just don't get pink" :p

I got Blue. They laughed because they didnt think anyone would take anything. I had the bag why take a chance!!!!

I ordered one of these bags for my next cruise (kyssbag.com) - I don't like having to take turns watching the bag. There is a short video on the web site and it convinced me enough to order.

Thank you!!!! I am definitley getting this!

You only need ss card and DL to get on and off the ship. A copy of your passport is just good to have in case you miss the ship ... which I hope never happens.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Do you mean Set Sail card or Social security card?

Why are you taking your passport to the beach? That should be locked up in your room safe.

And how does a passport in a safe help me get back to the United States if the ship leaves me?

The whole reason I cruise with a passport, instead of another form of identification (passport is not required for close looped cruises) is so I can have an easier time with re-entry if I need to fly home! I would never leave it on the ship.

OK, I totally feel your pain. As someone else who shoots "for real", I know you're not talking about protecting a point & shoot camera. When I was first starting I shot with a Canon Rebel xti and I took it on our cruise but never to the beach..I had it slung cross body for walking in ports and shooting around the ship. We had a point and shoot on the beaches and I thought I'd be happy with that, and I would have, if I didn't have the others to compare them too :( Shorlty after that cruise I upgraded to the 5DMarkII and kept the rebel as back up. Our next cruise I felt completely different about the rebel and treated it like a point and shoot. It came to beaches, we took it horseback riding on a beach (awesome!) and I got the shots I wanted. This year I am wondering about maybe bring the MarkII because the rebel feels like a toy, AND I don't want to carry a flash around at night or inside (hate, hate,hate built in flash!LOL!) Also, the MArkII has amazing video. But seriously.......How crazy would I have to be to carry that off the ship if it wasn't going to be on my body the whole time?!?! SO, I think I'll take both....my husband thinks I'm crazy but he'll be happy with the results. For port days the rebel is fine because you can shoot under 5oo ISO most places during the day, and the older ones are so cheap now that it's worth the small chance of it being taken or damaged. I'll have the MarkII for all other times. I'm sure to take plenty of cards so that "all" of our pics aren't on one card that can be taked or corrupt. All this is to say.......take your nice camera on the ship or places where it's not in huge danger, and get a cheapy old DSLR for the beach etc... A old, cheap, dslr (with an equally cheap 50mm 1.8) will beat a P&S any day if you have great light :) Happy Shooting!!!!!!

I feel your pain, I shoot professionally with a 1d MkIII and I take it everywhere. It's weather sealed so it can take some splashing around the pool or the beach. After I get my shots, I take a seat under an umbrella and play family life guard. I just purchased a Nikon AW100 for underwater photos and videos. My wife and kids all have point and shoots and the IQ is awful on all of them.

i have purchased a waterproof box and keep my good camera, cell phone, wallet, ID etc in there. Then I use one of those little back packs that are very lightweight that the cords are your straps-like the drawstring type. These are very lightweight and the water drains right out of them.

when we are in the water, i just put on the backpack with my stuff inside and swim and play like normal. all of my possessions are safely on my back.

I have been tubing, white water rafting, waterfall repelling, and zip lining in the rain forest using this method and zero problems.

a case like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Otterbox-3500-Series-Waterproof-Case-Clear/17450064

and a back pack like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodhope-Bags-All-Star-Drawstring-Backpack-Set-of-2/16944231

just a cheap backpack will work, and if it has little "air vents" at the bottom, that's even better for the water to drain out of....or best would be a mesh pack.

With all of my valuables secure on my back (or dh's) i can swim with my kids, or if it's just dh & i neither one of us have to stay on the beach. we can both go and snorkel, or kayak, or whatever without the fear of sand ruining our camera or water, or worse, thieves.

KYSS Bag http://www.kyssbags.com/

I got this and used it last week. Everyone Laughed at me but I felt that my stuff was safe and secure.

I just got this too but ordered the medium b/c I am short and didn't need all the space in the large. What a great idea and wonderful quality. Here is another link where they are $5 cheaper. http://www.kyssbag.com/

another huge vote for the KYSS bag. We were on the Liberty this Jan-4 of us in our group had these bags and we can't say enough about them. LOVE it!! Never worried for a second about our bag or our belongings ever at a beach (or anywhere). Get the large-we also used them as our carry on and it really holds alot of stuff...Wish I had one many years ago...

Forgive me if someone already suggested this (but I'm not going to read every post! ;)) I saw these recommended in Budget Travel and have considered one so my husband and I could swim together at some ports. (When we're at a private resort, we don't worry about our stuff. But at a public beach, I would absolutely not leave valuables...)

http://www.secure-it.com/shop/index.php/cPath/59_63

[quote name='woodmews']KYSS Bag [URL]http://www.kyssbags.com/[/URL]

I got this and used it last week. Everyone Laughed at me but I felt that my stuff was safe and secure.[/quote]

Can I ask what kind of material the bag itself is made from? Does it have a slash-resistant mesh inside? It looks like basic canvas, which makes me wonder what's stopping someone from coming along with a knife, razor blade, or box cutter, and slashing their OWN opening at the bottom or side of the bag? :eek:

I remember seeing a TV show years ago about pickpockets, and how they distract people with fanny packs/waist bags and covertly slash the bottom of the pack to remove their valuables without their targets ever knowing! (I went out and got a PacSafe purse for our cruise right after that!)

We have the KYSS bags, too! Love them! I got the whole family one for Christmas. We left our stuff in the kyss bag while we snorkeled and kayaked last cruise. We were gone over 2 hours. Just can't take valuables snorkeling! Felt much better having them locked up especially after some cruisers had items stolen while they were swimming on a previous cruise!

[quote name='newbieMom']OK, I totally feel your pain. As someone else who shoots "for real", I know you're not talking about protecting a point & shoot camera. When I was first starting I shot with a Canon Rebel xti and I took it on our cruise but never to the beach..I had it slung cross body for walking in ports and shooting around the ship. We had a point and shoot on the beaches and I thought I'd be happy with that, and I would have, if I didn't have the others to compare them too :( Shorlty after that cruise I upgraded to the 5DMarkII and kept the rebel as back up. Our next cruise I felt completely different about the rebel and treated it like a point and shoot. It came to beaches, we took it horseback riding on a beach (awesome!) and I got the shots I wanted. This year I am wondering about maybe bring the MarkII because the rebel feels like a toy, AND I don't want to carry a flash around at night or inside (hate, hate,hate built in flash!LOL!) Also, the MArkII has amazing video. But seriously.......How crazy would I have to be to carry that off the ship if it wasn't going to be on my body the whole time?!?! SO, I think I'll take both....my husband thinks I'm crazy but he'll be happy with the results. For port days the rebel is fine because you can shoot under 5oo ISO most places during the day, and the older ones are so cheap now that it's worth the small chance of it being taken or damaged. I'll have the MarkII for all other times. I'm sure to take plenty of cards so that "all" of our pics aren't on one card that can be taked or corrupt. All this is to say.......take your nice camera on the ship or places where it's not in huge danger, and get a cheapy old DSLR for the beach etc... A old, cheap, dslr (with an equally cheap 50mm 1.8) will beat a P&S any day if you have great light :) Happy Shooting!!!!!![/quote]

Carrie- that's EXACTLY what I mean!! I have a Nikon D700, which I really don't want to lose, or ruin, but I know no other camera will take the place of the quality photos I get with that! I do have a very old (the original!) D70 that I never use, but I am thinking now that bringing both as you mentioned might be a great idea!! AND my 50mm 1.8!! (that's the other issue I was having, what LENS to bring?!?!). Between the D70, and maybe a KYSS bag, I think I'll be okay!

Thank you everyone!
Karen

[quote name='amyj23']Forgive me if someone already suggested this (but I'm not going to read every post! ;)) I saw these recommended in Budget Travel and have considered one so my husband and I could swim together at some ports. (When we're at a private resort, we don't worry about our stuff. But at a public beach, I would absolutely not leave valuables...)
[URL]http://www.secure-it.com/shop/index.php/cPath/59_63[/URL][/quote]

Thank you!

I love all these ideas!! My opinion (JUST my opinion) is that for a "safe/bag", I think I will go with the Kyss bag, only because it doesn't scream "THIS IS A SAFE WITH VALUABLE THINGS IN IT!!!", like the other safe boxes that you can secure at the beach. I wouldn't want to draw attention to the bag/box, because as safe as these are, I am sure there are SOME theives that have seen it all and could still take it! That being said, I am not a paranoid person, thinking that anyone on a beach or an island is looking to steal from me!! I never usually protect my stuff- I am a "truster"!! But this time, being alone, I was more concerned!

Thank you all for all the input!!! I have learned so much!

Karen

[quote name='HeartNP'] I have a Nikon D700, which I really don't want to lose, or ruin, but I know no other camera will take the place of the quality photos I get with that! I do have a very old (the original!) D70 that I never use, but I am thinking now that bringing both as you mentioned might be a great idea!! AND my 50mm 1.8!! [/quote]

Well.....if I had known you were a NIKON girl......LOL! I don't know if Nikon is the same...but I worry about being able to use my rebel...as in, remembering how everything works. I can operate the MarkII without looking, and the rebel functions so much differently. First world problem for sure;)

hmm, if i was a thief, and i saw a "kyss" bag or a a safe locked to a beach chair, i would think that there were valuables in there. Those would be the things to target. sorry, but wire cutters will cut that cable.

In my opinion, that's just putting a target on your items...a big flashing light stating " ATTENTION ALL THIEVES valuables inside!"

but i've learned, if a thief wants something, they'll find a way to get it.

Archived