dispos. underw. cameras and airport securit.

markscarls

I have been thinking about bringing a disposable underwater camera on my cruise. However, when I took one to the Galapagos Islands, a lot of the developed photos had red streaks through them. I blame this on the fact that we had to go through security each time we changed planes and outside of the U.S. the security personnel weren't interested in hearing my requests to hand check the camera. As a result, the x-rays (or whatever is used) damaged the film.

Has anyone taken film underwater disposables on PG cruises and had success?

In the past I used disposable underwater cameras and the pictures got damaged.

Last year we bought a small underwater camera ( for snorkelling not diving) and it worked perfectly. It wasnt very costly and we will use it on a few trips. In fact it takes regular outside pictures as well.

We also have a fairly inexpensive waterproof digital camera. They work great and take good photo's snorkeling and on land. We replaced our old one last spring with a FUJI XP30. The pictures have been great. I like its size and the fact that i can take one camera and capture all the shots I want.

A friend of ours has a snorkel mask with a built in video camera. I'm hoping we can borrow it for the trip or I may buy one as a gift for hubby since this trip is our 25 yr anniversary trip :)

That's good to know that PG offers film developing on board. That would cut in half the number of times the camera would go through security. And at LAX I probably can get it hand-checked.

Thanks.

I know that I could buy a waterproof camera relatively inexpensively, but even the highest rated ones and more expensive ones on Amazon have reviews talking about leakage. And I don't foresee another vacation with extensive snorkeling any time soon.

In the U.S., to make it simple for security so they wouldn't mind doing a hand check of my disposable underwater camera, I had already unwrapped it. The security guard brushed it with something to check for explosive or flammable material.

However once we were in Latin America, the airport security guards didn't or pretended they didn't understand English and made me put the camera through the X-ray machine. It went through several times and the cumulative exposure must have been too much.

Archived