Difference in Cabin Categories

glenn29

I tried to search for information but couldn't find anything too specific, might just be that I didn't know how to properly search on the topic.

I'm sailing on the 3/23/12 out of Honolulu. We got a gty oceanview and have been assigned cabin 9001 (I think that's it) which is a category 8 cabin.

I noticed online today that there is a cabin a few decks lower down and a bit more center (5127 I think).

Since my DW has some motion sickness issues on occasion I thought I'd call Celebrity and inquire if a switch to that cabin was possible. I didn't really have any expectation it would be, but, thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

When I called the agent told me she could look into it, but that our current cabin was a CAT 8 and the other one was a CAT 4 so it would be quite a downgrade.

I guess I"m just wondering what they consider higher catergory cabins? Is it just higher decks are higher categories or are there other reasons associated with it? We are sticking with where we are now, hoping a Veranda becomes available that we can upgrade too.

Any help or info is appreciated, nothing important, just more curious then anything.

I tried to search for information but couldn't find anything too specific, might just be that I didn't know how to properly search on the topic.

I'm sailing on the 3/23/12 out of Honolulu. We got a gty oceanview and have been assigned cabin 9001 (I think that's it) which is a category 8 cabin.

I noticed online today that there is a cabin a few decks lower down and a bit more center (5127 I think).

Since my DW has some motion sickness issues on occasion I thought I'd call Celebrity and inquire if a switch to that cabin was possible. I didn't really have any expectation it would be, but, thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

When I called the agent told me she could look into it, but that our current cabin was a CAT 8 and the other one was a CAT 4 so it would be quite a downgrade.

I guess I"m just wondering what they consider higher catergory cabins? Is it just higher decks are higher categories or are there other reasons associated with it? We are sticking with where we are now, hoping a Veranda becomes available that we can upgrade too.

Any help or info is appreciated, nothing important, just more curious then anything.

Cabin categories are generally based on location. A higher deck is considered to be a better location.

Hi Glenn29,

It is like that old Real Estate Quote... "It is all about Location, Location, Location"

Generally speaking... Higher Decks cost more than lower... Midship costs more than fore (front) or aft (rear).

Across a ship, Staterooms within the same Class are identical... so all the Insides on Celebrity are identical, all the Oceanviews are identical.

Verandas come in a bunch of variations...

Deluxe Oceanview Verandas - Concierge Class - and Aqua Class.

On the S-Class Ships all the above cabins are the same size and layout (194 Sq Feet)...

Exceptions when it comes to bigger would be... Family Ocean View Cabins (for 5 Passengers) - Accessible Cabins - and Suites

On the M-Class Ships... Insides, Ocean Views and Deluxe Ocean Views (Verandas) are 170 Square Feet.

Concierge Class & Aqua Class are 194 Square Feet.

And like the S-Class Ships... Family Ocean View Cabins (for 5) - Accessible Cabins - and Suites are the biggest.

Does location matter ?

Certainly so for some people. Those prone to motion sickness tend to favour being midship at the least... and ideally midship & lower decks.

When it comes to getting around, midship cabins tend to be the most "central"... so more desireable.

When it comes to great views... the Aft Cabins overlooking the Wake are often touted... or on S-Class Ships the cabins that have bigger balconies on the sides of the ship, that are on "the angles" that lead onto "the bump" (at the front of the ship)... or onto and off of "the hump" (midship)

Consequently that is how the pricing tends to be structured... Inside, Lower, Outside Ocean View, Verandas, Aft over the Wake, Concierge Class, Aqua Class and Suites.

And within each category... ie for Concierge Class, there would be sub-categories for pricing based on their locations... so for example, C3 would be front or rear, C2 would be midship, and C1 would be aft over looking the wake.

If you check out the Deck Plans, all this will quickly become apparent via the colour shading that they use.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

I guess I"m just wondering what they consider higher category cabins? Is it just higher decks are higher categories or are there other reasons associated with it? We are sticking with where we are now, hoping a Veranda becomes available that we can upgrade too.

Actually you have it reversed, if you are in cabin 9001, it is the Cat. 4 and the lower cabin is probably a Cat. 8. Cabin 9001 might be a higher category because of it's upper deck location but it is probably the worst location for ship motion as it is one of the most forward cabins on Century as well as being on a upper deck.

Actually there has only been one cabin, #5027, a cat. 6, available recently and it still fairly close to the bow but is closer to the waterline so would be better motion wise. There is also a NS, Century Suite, guarantee that would probably get the only other staterroom available for our cruise, Cat. S1 suite 1239, which is on the highest cabin deck, the Sports deck 12 and very aft thus far from midship so, IMO, it won't be great motion wise.

Thanks for the added information.

I think I'll call again and see if it's possible to switch, if not I think we'll be fine.

I don't know if the celebrity person was wrong or not, but they were the one that told me that cabin 9001 was the higher category.

I'll just keep checking and maybe something else will open up in the next two weeks.

I don't know if the celebrity person was wrong or not, but they were the one that told me that cabin 9001 was the higher category.

The Celebrity agent was correct as, cabin 9001 is the highest category of OV cabins, a cat.4. With X's category rating system for inside to regular balcony cabins, the lower the number the higher the category and if there is a letter also, an A is higher than B, which is higher than C and so on. On Century inside categories run from the lowest, cat.12, to the highest, cat. 9A, OV cabins range from the lowest, a cat. 8, to the highest, a cat.4,and there is only one category of regular balcony cabin, cat.2A.

Solstice class regular balcony cabin categories run from a low of 2D, which has an obstructed view deck 6 balcony, to the highest, a cat.1A which is three decks higher and has a larger balcony.

Across a ship, Staterooms within the same Class are identical... so all the Insides on Celebrity are identical, all the Oceanviews are identical.

This may possibly be true for S class ships; I haven't seen enough cabins on those ships to know whether or not it is true.

However, it is not true for M class ships. There are some CC cabins which are larger than others. I've seen and actually stayed in some of those. I've read about different configurations in inside cabins here on the boards.

This may possibly be true for S class ships; I haven't seen enough cabins on those ships to know whether or not it is true.

However, it is not true for M class ships. There are some CC cabins which are larger than others. I've seen and actually stayed in some of those. I've read about different configurations in inside cabins here on the boards.

HI HAPPY CRUISER 6143,

Now that is interesting info... my readings / research so far had told me that square footage was the same across a class on any particular ship...

So Insides were 194 Square Feet on S-Class Ships, and 170 Square Feet on M-Class Ships... Layouts on any singular ship would be similar (pre-built units & building block effect)

So now I am intrigued to learn even more about M-Class Ships due to my upcoming Summit Sailing... lol, you have sparked a reason for me to do more reading / research.

BTW... We are in a Concierge Class (CC1), Cabin # 7206 on the Summit... overlooking the Wake... any idea if that is a "bigger layout" ? Knew it had a bigger balcony, which is why we booked it. Guessing that based on your past posts and now this one, that perhaps # 6143 is one of the CCs with a bigger / unusual layout ? We had the opportunity to book any of those "magic four CCs" on the Suite "sweet" deck... but in the end chose # 7206 because we had seen the photos of it's balcony... and coming off the Solstice with an oversized Balcony (# 1120) it was an easy sale for us in that regard. And had not seen any photos of the CCs on Deck 6 for the Summit... when we did our booking.

Loving all the cool stuff I am discovering about the Summit... looks like a gorgeous ship, and has so many fans here on CC.

Cheers!

At least for the cabins I have looked at, the same cabins on different levels are priced differently. The higher ones are more. The cabins fore and aft are less than the same type of cabin amidship, where the action of the ship is smoother.

Decks 10, 11 and 12, above the penthouse level currently have no cabins on the Millennium. After the renovation there will be Aqua cabins on the 11th floor.

HI HAPPY CRUISER 6143,

Now that is interesting info... my readings / research so far had told me that square footage was the same across a class on any particular ship...

So Insides were 194 Square Feet on S-Class Ships, and 170 Square Feet on M-Class Ships... Layouts on any singular ship would be similar (pre-built units & building block effect)

So now I am intrigued to learn even more about M-Class Ships due to my upcoming Summit Sailing... lol, you have sparked a reason for me to do more reading / research.

BTW... We are in a Concierge Class (CC1), Cabin # 7206 on the Summit... overlooking the Wake... any idea if that is a "bigger layout" ? Knew it had a bigger balcony, which is why we booked it. Guessing that based on your past posts and now this one, that perhaps # 6143 is one of the CCs with a bigger / unusual layout ? We had the opportunity to book any of those "magic four CCs" on the Suite "sweet" deck... but in the end chose # 7206 because we had seen the photos of it's balcony... and coming off the Solstice with an oversized Balcony (# 1120) it was an easy sale for us in that regard. And had not seen any photos of the CCs on Deck 6 for the Summit... when we did our booking.

Loving all the cool stuff I am discovering about the Summit... looks like a gorgeous ship, and has so many fans here on CC.

Cheers!

That's correct, 6143 is one of 4 CC1 cabins in suiteland. Those 4 cabins are about a foot wider than other CC cabins and have much deeper balconies with two loungers, two regular chairs, and a large table.

There are pictures on the boards of these balconies and cabins. There have also been many posts about the cabins on M class ships which are different from the normal cabins.

7206 is a normal CC1 aft. They're all the same size with the exception of the handicapped ones which are wider. If you look at the M class aft photo which I believe was originally posted by Larry Simon, you can see those wider handicapped balconies.

Archived