Newb questions

pakarinen

I'm surfing the X board here and the X corporate site, but I have a couple questions.

After much discussion, DW and I are thinking of a 7- or 8-day to the E. Carib on a Solstice class ship, partly b/c of the restrictive smoking policy. We loved the Crown Princess (aside from the not docking anywhere :p) and I assume the S-class are similar.

Anyway, is there something similar to the International Cafe (pastries, sandwiches, salads) with 24-hour service and no charge for most items?

And, is there much difference in verandah staterooms based on location? I'd like an aft view, but DW is concerned about engine / shaft noise.

Thanks for indulging me!

I'm surfing the X board here and the X corporate site, but I have a couple questions.

After much discussion, DW and I are thinking of a 7- or 8-day to the E. Carib on a Solstice class ship, partly b/c of the restrictive smoking policy. We loved the Crown Princess (aside from the not docking anywhere :p) and I assume the S-class are similar.

Anyway, is there something similar to the International Cafe (pastries, sandwiches, salads) with 24-hour service and no charge for most items?

And, is there much difference in verandah staterooms based on location? I'd like an aft view, but DW is concerned about engine / shaft noise.

Thanks for indulging me!

We love the International Cafe on Princess. There is nothing like it on Celebrity at all. However, we like the Celeb "Bistro on Five" on Solstice class. They are open about 20 hrs a day, have breakfast crepes, dessert crepes, and meal crepes. They also offer very nice panini sandwiches, and salads. There is a $5 charge, with no limit on quantity. But again, it's not like the I-cafe on Princess.

Veranda staterooms are pretty standard, except for rooms on "the hump" on Solstice ships. They have larger verandas. You can research that on the boards.

Some have complained of soot on aft verandas, from the exhaust while underway. We haven't had a room to say, firsthand.

Overall, I'd rate the Solstice class ships a bit higher than the best of the Princess ships, the Emerald and Ruby, in my estimation.

Overall, I'd rate the Solstice class ships a bit higher than the best of the Princess ships, the Emerald and Ruby, in my estimation.

Agree with the above key posted point based on our experience last June on the Solstice, plus from what others have told us from their experiences/comparisons with Princess. Below are a few of my pictures to use as "evidence" for the class and quality you will experience with the Solstice. You can see many more details on the Solstice, its food, entertainment, features, etc., from my live/blog noted below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,621 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This is a view of the Solstice main pool area. Love the sun and activities here!:

SolsticeMainPoolView2.jpg

For entertainment in the Solstice Theatre, it was called “Solstice -- The Show” featuring a European-style dance, air acts, music, etc. Very dramatic and interesting as they swing, twirl and soar over the audience and stage. It is a “state-of-the-art” theatre with these "Cirque-type" dancers being able to “do their thing”. Here is one example of the “air show” put on by the show performers.:

SolsticeAirShowFinalTwo.jpg

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas on the Solstice. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design are there as a part of this sparkling ship facility.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship.:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

This is a view of the library area on the tenth floor that overlooked the central, open core area of the ship. Not a great book selection here, but it is a nice-looking area with a quiet reading hideaway.:

SolsticeLibraryView.jpg

This is a view looking up in the Solstice central lobby with a music group playing there. :

SolsticeLobbyUpView.jpg

The cafe al baccio does have coffee, teas, pastries etc. Not 100% the same as the International cafe but with the options at Bistro on 5 and the Aqua Spa cafe in the Solarium I think you will be very happy. We have sailed the Emerald Princess which was lovely but we do prefer Celebrity. We had a C1 aft cabin on the Eclipse last April. We loved being able to look out at the wake. We had no problem with soot. We saw the odd fleck here and there but no issue. I believe some people have had different experiences based on the weather conditions when they sailed. I would take a cabin aft again in a heart beat. We did not hear any extra noise and actually felt less movement aft than our midship cabin on the Emerald. You will love the Solstice class ships.

Hi Pakarinen,

The largest "standard" balconies on a Celebrity S-Class Ship are the ones on the angles that are on or off "the bump" or "the hump"... (where the ship widens... "the bump" towards the front of the ship... "the hump" midship)

IMO, you cannot beat those cabins, especially if you manage to snag one of the ones that "are on the point" (where the ship is at its widest midship)... these are the cabins with the largest sized balconies that allow you to look BOTH fore and aft (the only cabins / balconies that can do this)... although you do have to go out and stick your head around the partition to see in the opposite direction to which you balcony naturally faces. Still though, it does provide AMAZING VIEWS when coming into Port !!

Take a look at the Deck Plans for the ship you are intersted in, and look for those locations...

On the Solstice, they'd be the following cabins...

Deck 6

# 6215 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 6214 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 6237 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 6236 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

Deck 7

# 7219 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 7264 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 7241 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 7286 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

Deck 8

# 8257 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 8230 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 8279 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 8252 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

Deck 9

# 9215 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 9270 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 9237 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 9292 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

Deck 10

# 1233 (Celebrity Suite)

# 1110 (Celebrity Suite)

# 1243 (Concierge Class)

# 1120 (Concierge Class)

Deck 11

# 1605 (Aqua Class)

# 1610 (Aqua Class)

# 1611 (Penthouse Suite)

# 1616 (Penthouse Suite)

Deck 12

# 2105 (Concierge Class)

# 2106 (Concierge Class)

Cabin Numbers on MOST of the S-Class Ships are similiar (although you'll want to double-check if your plans are not the Soltice itself)

We had # 1120 on the Solstice (Concierge Class) and found the cabin, balcony, views & location to be amazing (midship just steps away from the main elevator banks... and a breeze to get to pretty much venue on the ship... lol, and back to our cabin... good after a late-night)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

PHOTOS

1- Solstice # 1120 - Coming into San Juan (looking out)

2- Solstice # 1120 - Coming into San Juan (looking forward - around partition)

3- Solstice # 1120 - Coming into Ft Lauderdale (looking aft)

4- Solstice # 1120 - Coming into Ft Lauderdale (looking out)

5- Solstice # 1120 - Coming into Ft Lauderdale (looking forward - around partition)

1972570005_DSCF5974(2)(620x465).jpg.b29fe9f0aa888fc4dddd4eea84d40e40.jpg

553825644_DSCF5976(2)(620x465).jpg.ab47a29aa392ff6c0e4f93f3f6578eac.jpg

2039393491_DSCF6282(2)(446x620).jpg.e10341be01ce0f87dac6d91c372a685a.jpg

1110983842_DSCF6286(2)(620x464).jpg.a1d612a33c53e2210f09f278ef68eb2d.jpg

1361953637_DSCF6296(2)(620x445).jpg.807a489c07422f44c06ad00cad4c5f45.jpg

Hi Pakarinen,

The largest "standard" balconies on a Celebrity S-Class Ship are the ones on the angles that are on or off "the bump" or "the hump"... (where the ship widens... "the bump" towards the front of the ship... "the hump" midship)

IMO, you cannot beat those cabins, especially if you manage to snag one of the ones that "are on the point" (where the ship is at its widest midship)... these are the cabins with the largest sized balconies that allow you to look BOTH fore and aft (the only cabins / balconies that can do this)... although you do have to go out and stick your head around the partition to see in the opposite direction to which you balcony naturally faces. Still though, it does provide AMAZING VIEWS when coming into Port !!

Take a look at the Deck Plans for the ship you are intersted in, and look for those locations...

On the Solstice, they'd be the following cabins...

Deck 6

# 6215 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 6214 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 6237 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 6236 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

Deck 7

# 7219 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 7264 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 7241 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 7286 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

Deck 8

# 8257 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 8230 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 8279 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 8252 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

Deck 9

# 9215 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 9270 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 9237 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

# 9292 (1A Deluxe Ocean View Veranda)

Deck 10

# 1233 (Celebrity Suite)

# 1110 (Celebrity Suite)

# 1243 (Concierge Class)

# 1120 (Concierge Class)

Deck 11

# 1605 (Aqua Class)

# 1610 (Aqua Class)

# 1611 (Penthouse Suite)

# 1616 (Penthouse Suite)

Deck 12

# 2105 (Concierge Class)

# 2106 (Concierge Class)

Cabin Numbers on MOST of the S-Class Ships are similiar (although you'll want to double-check if your plans are not the Soltice itself)

We had # 1120 on the Solstice (Concierge Class) and found the cabin, balcony, views & location to be amazing (midship just steps away from the main elevator banks... and a breeze to get to pretty much venue on the ship... lol, and back to our cabin... good after a late-night)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

PHOTOS

1- Solstice # 1120 - Coming into San Juan (looking out)

2- Solstice # 1120 - Coming into San Juan (looking forward - around partition)

3- Solstice # 1120 - Coming into Ft Lauderdale (looking aft)

4- Solstice # 1120 - Coming into Ft Lauderdale (looking out)

5- Solstice # 1120 - Coming into Ft Lauderdale (looking forward - around partition)

Hi, Sloop John B, I have 1120 on the Eclipse for Nov. I was wondering if you have comments on anything I should bring for the room--to be more comfortable-- like extension cord, storage box, ect? I have been on other Celeb (M class, CC cat) ships class and have no issues with them, but understand S class cabins are different. Any noise issue with cabin? Thank you

Hi, Sloop John B, I have 1120 on the Eclipse for Nov. I was wondering if you have comments on anything I should bring for the room--to be more comfortable-- like extension cord, storage box, ect? I have been on other Celeb (M class, CC cat) ships class and have no issues with them, but understand S class cabins are different. Any noise issue with cabin? Thank you

HI SAMMIE1900,

You can find my Report for Solstice # 1120 on the Cabin Report for Solstice Ships (the STICKY at the top of this CC CELEBRITY BOARD) as post # 1513 on Page 76

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018

As for Storage and "comfort" issues... check out my posting entitled *Celebrity Solstice Storage (S-Class Ships)* = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1560620

Hope this is helpful... if you have any further Questions after that, let me know.

Cheers!

The cafe al baccio does have coffee, teas, pastries etc. Not 100% the same as the International cafe but with the options at Bistro on 5 and the Aqua Spa cafe in the Solarium I think you will be very happy. We have sailed the Emerald Princess which was lovely but we do prefer Celebrity. We had a C1 aft cabin on the Eclipse last April. We loved being able to look out at the wake. We had no problem with soot. We saw the odd fleck here and there but no issue. I believe some people have had different experiences based on the weather conditions when they sailed. I would take a cabin aft again in a heart beat. We did not hear any extra noise and actually felt less movement aft than our midship cabin on the Emerald. You will love the Solstice class ships.

We loved the Aqua Spa Cafe on the Constellation, and were looking forward to it on the Eclipse. BIG disappointment. First, it was VERY crowded. The first time we went, all the tables were full, and people were camped out on the edge of the pool, sitting, trying to eat, finding space anywhere.

We went back several times and there was NEVER a table available, unlike on the Connie. They REALLY need to expand the table space, as it is much smaller than on M-class.

Then there is a food. Also disappointing. We went there for breakfast, and were disappointed to find only the typical, everyday fruits, like orange slices. No smoked salmon. No kiwi. Just really boring.

Anyway, it is NOTHING like the International Cafe on Princess. I'm half tempted to sail on P again just for that, it is so much better than anything on X. Really like Eclipse in most other ways though.

We loved the Aqua Spa Cafe on the Constellation, and were looking forward to it on the Eclipse. BIG disappointment. First, it was VERY crowded. The first time we went, all the tables were full, and people were camped out on the edge of the pool, sitting, trying to eat, finding space anywhere.

We went back several times and there was NEVER a table available, unlike on the Connie. They REALLY need to expand the table space, as it is much smaller than on M-class.

Then there is a food. Also disappointing. We went there for breakfast, and were disappointed to find only the typical, everyday fruits, like orange slices. No smoked salmon. No kiwi. Just really boring.

Anyway, it is NOTHING like the International Cafe on Princess. I'm half tempted to sail on P again just for that, it is so much better than anything on X. Really like Eclipse in most other ways though.

When we were on the Eclipse last April we found that it was never very busy at all. I guess it's all about your fellow cruisers and their preferences. We mainly got smoothies etc as there was so many food options we were never very hungry between meals.

The IC on the Emerald Princess was nice but we really didn't use it much because on our cruise the staff there weren't the friendliest bunch. The one guy was very grumpy, he was mad he had to heat up my quiche. We were waiting for him to say "no soup", or in the case quiche "for you" if you are familiar with the mean soup guy from Seinfeld. ;)

Archived