Should we get a balcony?

Our Baltic cruise (July) was the one time we actually used our Balcony OFTEN! :)

Baltic cruises tend to be port intensive. Loved having our own balcony as a place to relax when returning to the ship.

A very special memory is watching the "Mid-Night Sun". Amazing ... still bright as day at 3 AM. Being able to do this in our PJ's was so great!

• 2 weeks later...

We had a balcony for our previous Baltic cruise and although we did get some use out of it when in port, we found it too cold to sit out when the ship was moving. We sailed from Copenhagen and I wanted to be outside when we sailed under the Storebelt bridge at 1 a.m. I sat outside for an hour wrapped in every blanket and towel I could find...it was cold. But at least I saw the bridge. We're sailing the Baltic again in June and just went for an outside cabin.

We are doing the Baltic B2B with the Norwegian Fjords on Brilliance of the Seas in August. I had booked ocean view and was happy with my selection and price. I also didn't think that we would need a balcony as these are very port intensive cruises. So much to see that we would be disembarking early am and returning as late as possible for each port call.

Yesterday, I noticed that there might be a significant price drop on the balcony for the second week (Fjords) so I did a little research.

We ended up upgrading to balcony staterooms on both legs. Week one cost us more than the original booking but week two was so much less than in total we have saved money. Always nice to save! In our particular case we got to make use of the diamond balcony discount which helped to reduce the overall cost.

We may not have all that much time to enjoy our balcony (and yes, it could be a cool temperature) but we will make the best of the time that we do have.

Archived