What to do after an excursion?

trippingpara

Right now, DW and I are planning on taking a beginner's scuba class in the morning. We should be done around noon. So now the question is, what do we do with the rest of the day? It seems that most of the excursions will have already headed out and any that start in the afternoon won't leave us enough time to get back to the ship. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Rogers is right on Carlisle Bay, near Harbour Lights Nightclub and about 1/4 mile south of Lobster Alive and The Boatyard.

You'll love Carlisle Bay. There are (from what I remember) 4 shipwrecks in the bay, all within 100-200 yards from shore, and all in about 40-50 feet of water or less.

If you like beaches, this one is amazing... Do a Google Image search of Carlisle Bay, you'll see what I mean...

It's also about 3/4 of a mile north of the Hilton.

Here are some Barbados photos we took in 2010. Our dive pics are near the bottom of the album:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472934985680.246435.567405680&type=3&l=7a121683da

Here are some more shipwreck and turtle photos taken at Carlisle Bay last month (about 1/2 way down the album)...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150715205875681.448061.567405680&type=3&l=4fa2809be5

Cheers, P:)

Yes, we dove with Barbados Blue. I am open-water certified, but I wanted to introduce my kids to scuba. The folks at BB were amazing.

Barbados is a beautiful island - my all-time favourite. Not just for the beauty of the island itself, but also because of the people.

The problem is not finding something to do, but trying to decide between a multitude of activities available and sights to see...

Take a walk, go to a beach, go shopping.Come on your on Vaction in the tropics with your DW and you cant find any thing to do? :confused:

Trust me, my wife and I can find plenty to do! :D As aimodels stated:

"The problem is not finding something to do, but trying to decide between a multitude of activities available and sights to see..."

...that was my (and another poster's) original question. I thought the intent and purpose of CC was to be helpful to others. Hence why we asked for some suggestions as to what others have done after their morning excursions. We have never been on a cruise before and are unsure if there is enough time to book another excursion or if there is a certain sight that is must be seen or if we should just plan on strolling around town, shop, eat and drink or just be merry...

Carlisle Bay is very close to the cruise terminal - about 5-10 minutes by taxi or bus, depending on traffic.

Depending on when you have to be back onboard, you might even have time to do a little shopping in downtown Bridgetown, or maybe even check out some of the local artists at Pelican Village.

Accra/Rockley Beach is about a 10-15 minute drive south of Carlisle, or if you go north of Bridgetown, there's Brandons, Brighton, Batts Rock and Paynes Bay, to name a few other beaches...

Carlisle Bay is very close to the cruise terminal - about 5-10 minutes by taxi or bus, depending on traffic.

Depending on when you have to be back onboard, you might even have time to do a little shopping in downtown Bridgetown, or maybe even check out some of the local artists at Pelican Village.

Accra/Rockley Beach is about a 10-15 minute drive south of Carlisle, or if you go north of Bridgetown, there's Brandons, Brighton, Batts Rock and Paynes Bay, to name a few other beaches...

Thanks aimodels. Looks like we're getting our Open Water Certification before we go, so we're now planning on doing a 2 tank dive with Rogers Scuba Shack. Looks like we'll be done done sometime between 12 and 1 pm. We have to be back on board by 4:30 at the latest (we're planning on more like 3:30 to 4:00 - don't want to be a pier runner!). Is it possible to walk from downtown Bridgetown to the cruise ship piers or is that too far of a stretch?

No problem at all. You're looking at about 10-12 blocks from the middle of Broad St. to the South Gatehouse. From there, maybe another 300 yards to the cruise terminal. I'd say give yourselves at least 30-45 minutes to get from downtown to your ship and you should be OK.

Pelican Village is on the way from downtown to the terminal, about 2 blocks south of the South Gatehouse along Princess Alice Hwy.

Downtown is about half way between Rogers and the cruise terminal.

Archived