FYI regarding cabs in San Juan

cruzegirl

Just to reinforce a warning I had received. Be sure when you get a cab, you decide on the fare before they take where you want to go. I was good with this from the airport to the hotel. It was $20 for the group which was 6 of us and $1 per piece of luggage. All was well. But after the cruise, we forgot to ask ahead. As we were heading out of the cruise port and we asked about the fare, the cab driver said it would be $25 for the 3 of us. As we neared the airport and he asked with airline and found out it would be 2 stops, he raised it to $35. After my friends got out and he was taking me to AA, he proceeded to tell me it was $45. I promptly told him I had $41 as he told us $35 and that was that. I gave him the $41 and he drove off. It's definitely a rip off there. Be careful.

Some taxi drivers are interpreting the rules to their advantage, and they are very tricky!

When I was last in San Juan, I needed to share a taxi to the airport since my cash was very low. Though I wasn't on a cruise, I went to the cruise dock since I knew people would be going to the airport, and I was hoping to share with a group that was going. The LEGAL fare is $21 (or so) per vehicle (not person) plus luggage, to the airport.

When I got to the dock, the taxi drivers asked me if I needed a taxi. I told them I needed to share one.

As people were coming off the ship, I asked if they were going to the airport, and could I share the taxi. Well, when a group agreed to share, I got in the taxi with them, and after the driver started off down the road, he said it would be $21 plus luggage for them and $10 for me.

They (and I) protested, but he insisted that was the fare. I asked him to let me out, but he wouldn't stop.

I didn't want to spoil the end of the vacation for the people I shared the taxi with, so I paid the $10 without arguing with the driver.

The taxi prices are posted online, so I would print them out before I leave for PR. I would also make sure I made a big production out of writing down the taxi drivers' name and license number before he pulled off so he would be aware that I was collecting evidence should there be a "misunderstanding." I would also take a picture.

Hi Deb! Thanks for the heads up. We're off to San Juan for a couple of days before heading to Tortola. Have an evening trip to the Bio Bay planned.

Sounds like your cruise was a fun one!

Mike

We had a similar problem with a cab driver last December when we got off of the Caribbean Princess. Along with another couple, we got a cab and were told the price of $21., however, when we got to the airport, the cabbie said that was per couple and it was "policy" which we knew was BS. The four of us got off at the same terminal. The cabbie got very vocal and reluctantly, we folded to his demands. DH was irate and told the cabbie to enjoy his scam - with people like him, no wonder Princess is pulling out of PR so the loss is ultimately on his shoulders.

I wrote down the number of his cab and when I got home, I sent an email to the board or tourism and cab company. Never heard anything, but my TA did the same and it sure got a response. With tourism driving the local economy, thats' one driver who is no longer facilitating that component.

Prior to the cruise, we used a cab from the airport to the Caribe Hilton and again from the hotel to the ship without incident. We found using the public bus system a great way to go into OSJ, only $.75 each way.

Darcy

I've been to San Juan 5 times, used a cab to and from the airport every time and have never had a problem. At the airport taxi stand they had an attendant that asked you your destination. When the taxi pulled up he told the taxi driver which hotel and handed me a slip of paper stating the fare. There was no opportunity for misunderstanding or scam. Then when I returned from the hotel to the airport the hotel employee managing the taxi queue would do essentially the same thing without the slip of paper.

I usually have found taxi drivers in tourist areas to be friendly and eager to please, they like tips and know how to earn them. It is sad how a few bad guys can tarnish the reputation, respectability and trust of an entire industry.

Aebalc, like you we have always had a great experience with the cab drivers in PR, that is, up until our last trip when we left the ship and headed to the airport. When one leaves the ship on the final morning, there is nobody handing you a price sheet, and in our case we had verbally asked for the price, only to be told by the driver once we reached the airport, that WE didn't understand it was a per couple cost.

We have sailed out of PR many times, vacationed on the island, too. This is the first time we got taken by a cab driver on the island. Since Princess will cease sailing out of PR, we won't be going back.

Darcy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We used Puerto Rico Shuttle Van Service & Tours:

www.shuttlevanpr.com

There shuttle service was very professional and right on time! We enjoyed there personal service and knowledge of the area. Even when the roads were blocked by a triathalon they found a way through to make sure we were on time for our arrival. This was by far the best shuttle service we ever used anywhere, and will recommend to all of our friends and family.

I posted this on another thread, but they were very ecomomical

Cab fare from airport or Isla Verde to cruise pier in OSJ is $19, plus $1 a bag, plus $1.50 fuel surcharge.

Cab fare from Isla Verde to airport (literally a stones throw) is $10, plus $1 a bag, plus $1.50.

These are all posted rates.

This really does not promote tourism in San Juan. It is inexcusable that some taxi drivers would scam tourists by doubling the appropriate fares. It must leave a bitter taste to anyone this has happened to.

I am planing to take a taxi while I am in San Juan and hopefully this does not happen. However if it does I am going to do what everyone has suggested by writing down the cab number, getting his name if possible and any other information that I can. I will then complain to whoever listens and then I will post it here on this thread.

Thank you for giving me the heads up. Sometimes I am very naive when it comes to scams.

Archived