HELP picking excursions! 7 day westrn caribb. cruise on FOS

My family of 4 (kids ages 8,10) will be sailing FOS in November. It's a 7 day western Caribbean cruise visiting Labadee, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Cozumel, and George Town in Grand Cayman. Any recommendations from those with kids? Also, I've heard that booking things like Sting Ray city and Dolphin swims are much cheaper when booked privately than with cruise line. Any thoughts?

My family of 4 (kids ages 8,10) will be sailing FOS in November. It's a 7 day western Caribbean cruise visiting Labadee, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Cozumel, and George Town in Grand Cayman. Any recommendations from those with kids? Also, I've heard that booking things like Sting Ray city and Dolphin swims are much cheaper when booked privately than with cruise line. Any thoughts?

First of all, to answer your question... Yes, you can save some money and/or avoid the crowds by booking excursions yourself instead of through the cruise. Try Moby Dick Tours for Stingray City. Mystic Snorkel offers a small group snorkeling excursion from Cozumel with a max of 12 people (but it's open water).

Second, and more importantly... Please don't patronize swim-with-dolphin companies.

This video is short and does not contain graphic imagery, so you can show it to the kids if they're the ones clamoring for dolphins:

Kids Speak Out Against Dolphin Captivity

You can read more here:

http://www.wdcs.org/stop/captivity/story_details.php?select=524

And here:

http://www.wdcs.org/stop/captivity/eu_campaign/faq.php

And here:

http://www.bluevoice.org/news_dolphinshow.php

If you're determined to go, I can't stop you. I ca only encourage you to make an informed decision. There are many other ways we can enjoy the ocean without harming these beautiful animals.

Cheers,

Brian

Just got back from a Western cruise on the Allure. In Falmouth we went to an all inclusive at Breezes resort. Our drinks and food was included in the price. They had several swimming pools and a lovely beach. I wasn't a fan of this stop due to the amount of kids, but since you are looking for something with kids, this may work for you. The pools had slides for the kids, pool tables in the swimming pools, play areas, games at the resort, etc. Something to consider.

In Cozumel we went to Mr. Sancho's. In my opinion this is a great stop for the whole family. We had to book this one directly with Mr. Sancho's, but it's just a short taxi ride ($14) from the port and we left in plenty of time to be back for the ship. We paid $45 per person and this included as much to eat from the menu that we wanted (and the menu has a ton of selections) and all the drinks we wanted. There was a swimming pool w/a swim up bar, swings around the bar areas, water toys (jumpy things, etc in the beach area) for kids to play on, etc. We've done Nachi and very much preferred this spot to the other inclusives in Cozumel.

The Freedom is an AWESOME ship. Enjoy your cruise!

NEVER book excursions with the cruise line. They are always way overpriced and you will get less time than if you do it on your own. Look at the ports of call forum for each of your stops for reputible tour companies and sites to visit.

Some will warn of you risking getting left by the ship if your tour goes over, but the private companies are aware of ship times and will get you back. Their reputation depends on it!

BTW love Paradise Beach in Cozumel and lots of water sports for the kids!

If you have a stop in the Grand Caymans there are loads of fun things to be done with kids. They have a very well run, well maintained ride on the semi-submerg sub that was a big hit with our kids. They get to see amazing fish, coral reefs..loads of fun and you can book directly or go through the cruise line. It's very close to the dock. Check out the ports thread. We've been on the W. Carib cruise with RCI several times and Grand Cayman always had loads of fun things for the kids to enjoy. We did the Dolphin encounter (I know there are people who oppose it) and it really was an incredible experience. They were a little frightened by the stingrays, but kids are different. Yours might think it was the highlight.

We recently sailed FOS western with our 10 yr old DD. Being our 15 th cruise we usually do our own thing which I also highly recommend.

We did Mr Sanchos AI & loved it! Kids will have a blast. We did not reserve ahead of time in case weather was bad...reservation only saves you $5

We have been to Caymans often & decided to do a ship tour since we had already done the "usuals" we did the jeep 4x4 & all agreed it was a great experience. You get to see a lot of the island.

Falmouth we just shopped at port & then enjoyed the boat to ourselves. Enjoy!

We have done the western caribbean a few times, so here are my recommendations. We have a 12 yo DD, her first cruise was at age 5.

Labadee-hang out, swim on your own.

Jamaica-HIGHLY recommend Marva Shaw and KnowJamaica Tours. Her and her son Javia are wonderful and will show your their island. We did Dunns River Falls and River Tubing, the tubing was the absolute favorite of everyones. Also ate at a jerk restaurant where the locals go. Awesome food and cheap.

Grand Cayman-We did Stingray City the first time with Capt Marvins. Small groups, so not 200 people on your excursion. We did the Turtle Farm as well, its a long ride though. Last time we went to Sea Grapes Beach, beautiful beach and there was a restaurant there with bathrooms. You could rent water toys and equipment as well.

Cozumel-this is our absolute favorite stop. We did the Dolphin Swim at Chankanaab, DD loved that. We also really, really enjoy Paradise Beach. Paradise Tom runs a great place, food is wonderful. Again, water toys etc to rent. We always go into San Miguel and shop, DH won't let me have my credit card in Los Cinco Soles, I am dangerous there. Pancho's Backyard is also a good restaurant, wonderful food and very nice margaritas for mom and dad.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the FOS and the western caribbean. We are a little disappointed that we have to go eastern next year, we really wanted to do the western again.

We have done the western caribbean a few times, so here are my recommendations. We have a 12 yo DD, her first cruise was at age 5.

Labadee-hang out, swim on your own.

Jamaica-HIGHLY recommend Marva Shaw and KnowJamaica Tours. Her and her son Javia are wonderful and will show your their island. We did Dunns River Falls and River Tubing, the tubing was the absolute favorite of everyones. Also ate at a jerk restaurant where the locals go. Awesome food and cheap.

Grand Cayman-We did Stingray City the first time with Capt Marvins. Small groups, so not 200 people on your excursion. We did the Turtle Farm as well, its a long ride though. Last time we went to Sea Grapes Beach, beautiful beach and there was a restaurant there with bathrooms. You could rent water toys and equipment as well.

Cozumel-this is our absolute favorite stop. We did the Dolphin Swim at Chankanaab, DD loved that. We also really, really enjoy Paradise Beach. Paradise Tom runs a great place, food is wonderful. Again, water toys etc to rent. We always go into San Miguel and shop, DH won't let me have my credit card in Los Cinco Soles, I am dangerous there. Pancho's Backyard is also a good restaurant, wonderful food and very nice margaritas for mom and dad.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the FOS and the western caribbean. We are a little disappointed that we have to go eastern next year, we really wanted to do the western again.

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I have read about Marva Shaw many times here on CC and I will definitely look them up!-marian

We're sailing this itinerary again for another trip in about 3 weeks, this time on Freedom.

We're doing the dolphins again at Chankanaab (did it a previous time but my younger son was too little to go in the water with the dolphins...this time we're all doing the royal swim) and I booked directly and got 20% off. We're also planning an all inclusive day in Falmouth and will probably do Rose Hall Hilton (waiting to hear back from Half Moon on their day passes).

We've done the stingrays with Nativeway previously but my older one is not too eager to do it again (the last time we did it, it was just after Steve Irwin died and he was totally freaked out). We may just do a bit of shopping unless something else grabs me.

I had hoped to do either Mr. Sanchos or Paradise Beach in Cozumel, but then the boys reminded me that they a) don't like salt water and b) don't like sand so that took the beaches right off the list.

There are many reputable tour companies reviewed on the POC boards so check them out for good recommendations.

Labadee: Have a relaxing day with lunch at a beautiful beach.

Grand Cayman: Grab a taxi, ask to go to the "Turtle Farm" (ask taxi to wait), go to "Hell" (10 minute stop) and then ask to be dropped off at seven mile beach. (Plenty of taxis to get back to port). You might want to ask if there is a daily rate for taxi service. There was when we did this awhile back.

Falmouth: Do the Chukka Beach Break (very close to port) Then enjoy the new port

Cozumel: Definitely Paradise Beach. (grab a taxi - 10 min ride) Besides the beach, there is a huge, new, beautiful pool and the place is very clean. Drinks and food are very reasonable.

Have a great time! Took my girls on their first cruise at 6 and 8. They loved it and we're still all cruising together as a family. We have a cruise this summer and they're 21 and 23.

Can you tell me who you booked the Dolphin swim with? This is one of the things my children are most interested in. Although I have to admit, after getting some "cruelty to dolphins" link from another reader, I'm still looking into it. Turtle farm is a must as well. Just would like some details about who you booked through. Thanks so much!

Can you tell me who you booked the Dolphin swim with? This is one of the things my children are most interested in. Although I have to admit, after getting some "cruelty to dolphins" link from another reader, I'm still looking into it. Turtle farm is a must as well. Just would like some details about who you booked through. Thanks so much!

We booked directly with Dolphin Discovery online. There is a fee to get into the park if I remember, but there was a coupon you could get to save a few bucks.

The park is not bad, pool with swim up bar, nice locker rooms, showers etc. We enjoyed it very much and DD still talks about it to this day. We did end up buying a picture and the video too, so plan for that as well!

Archived