Preferred methhod of carrying wine/champgne onboard...

Sweetdreams

Hey Sweetdreams,

You can get a wine box from most good wine stores. Most wineries have them also if you live near one. It is just a box with a place for 4 or 6 (they have both) bottles with a handle. No styrofoam. Kind of like a 6 pack holder for beer but it is completely closed on top. Does a fine job of protecting the wine and allows you to carry it easily. We have used them to carry wine from the wine country back to Texas and to carry booze aboard a cruise in Canada. I'll get one from my local wine Merchant, pack it in my suitcase (they fold flat when empty) and buy my wine when I am in Tuscany and bring it on my cruise to the Med. next month.

Good luck!

We pack our wine in a smaller roller bag with bubble wrap around the bottles. It works well, and we have had no problems. We acquired the bag from someone who passed along the bubble wrap with it. We call in our wine bag, and it holds about 6 or 7 bottles. We typically carry (roll) it on with us, as we would be very disappointed for our wine to be wasted if broken!

Peaches, have you ever had any cruise line actually open your bag and take out liquor and hold it?.....

No, I haven't. I was just giving you HAL's policy re alcohol. We don't bring on alcohol or even wine or champagne, so I have no first-hand experience on what HAL does about alcohol smuggled on board in luggage or how often they actually confiscate anything.

So let's say I get on the ship about 1:00 and the rooms aren't ready so I head up to the Lido for lunch. Is there anywhere I can "park" my carry-on wine and champagne (or soda and water) so I am not lugging that stuff around the ship for an hour or more?

So let's say I get on the ship about 1:00 and the rooms aren't ready so I head up to the Lido for lunch. Is there anywhere I can "park" my carry-on wine and champagne (or soda and water) so I am not lugging that stuff around the ship for an hour or more?

Yes, you can check your carry-ons once on the ship. It was a stop shortly after getting on the ship, before going to the lido. They will be delivered to your cabin just like the checked bags. Just don't check the valuables - better safe than sorry.

Preferred methhod of carrying wine/champgne onboard...

My preferred (and only) method for carrying wine onboard is inside me. :) As in ... the wine I drank the night before at the big party I enjoyed with my fellow HAL cruising buddies. :D

San Diego -- Friday Night, October 6, 2006 ... some evening night-spot. :) It's a date!

And the sad thing, Ruth, is that it will be quite literally years before this one. :( one and a half years, to be exact.

Oh, well ... as is true with Kidney stones ... these months, too, shall pass and, before you can say "Bobs your uncle" embarkation day will be here. Unfortunately, my Uncle's name is Stephen, not Bob.

Just wanted to jump in and say that Trader Joes DOES sell liquor in Mass... as well as Whole Foods. It doesn't matter too much though... the cruise terminal isn't located even remotely close to a T-Joes anyways... it's in an industrial area in South Boston... about 5 minutes from my loft.

I'll put together a quick list later on of spots that you can stop en-route from Logan - or are downtown if you're staying the night beforehand.

Archived