Offered "handicap accessible" family oceanview w/balcony...can we get bumped?

For threads like this there should be an exception to the CC "no TA names" rule.

A pox, crotch crabs, and assorted petulance to the sleeze TA that suggested this special extra room space "deal" 18 MONTHS OUT!

Not a TA - but this has gotta PO those here that are. If it doesn't, don't want you as my TA - ever.

OP here...don't worry, we did not book that room! Yes, the cruise was for Sept. 2013.

When asking for a room, we asked for an oceanview with balcony- D1 - and the travel agent came back with this one.

I didn't even realize that family oceanview was a category (since it doesn't show up when you're searching the RC site, which is the only research I did). So I looked it up, saw it was handicap accessible, and made my post.

We are honest people and do not want to take anything away from someone who may need it! I will not be using that TA, either. I really want to find a TA who is helpful and knows their stuff about RC...but so far I haven't had much luck.

So back to the drawing board...thanks for the help all! :)

OH that is shady indeed. I checked - there are FB rooms left for September 2013 on several sailings which means that TA was either going to lie on the forms and hope it wasn't caught or they were going to have to come back later.

The TA most likely saw a bigger room (bigger than a D1) for the same (or likely lower) rate and decided to offer it. That is purely wrong.

As for whether or not RCCL will bump the guests or when they release HC rooms. I've seen them take many paths on this. I've seen all the nonHC rooms sell out and they still refuse to release HC rooms because it is "too far out" for their internal policies (typically 4-6 weeks before sailing).

They have to meet the minimums of the law, it doesn't mean they can't be stricter. Just like the law does not require them to bump someone but their internal policy allows it.

We went on a med cruise last year on IOS.

We booked through a T/A.

We did not realise at the time we had been booked into a handicapped room.

We only realised this when we got on board.

This stateroom had been booked 10 months prior to sailing.

On arriving at the room , our next door cruisers thought they had been booked into a handicapped room as the man was in a wheelchair. it obviously was not.

It was our suggestion that we could swap staterooms as we did not need any special facilites at all, and this man needed our facilites.

It did not matter to us one iota and we were all there to enjoy our holiday.

We duly went off to guest services to arrange this.

You would have thought this was a simple request , but no... RCI wanted to a surcharge for swapping staterooms.!!

We did eventually swap statrooms with no extra charge to anyone and to the relief of our handicapped man.

I now book our cruises and have a choice of stateroom numbers instead of leaving it to the T/A. to book on our behalf.

I have to say through this we have found 2 more friends of which we have kept in touch.

You would have thought this was a simple request , but no... RCI wanted to a surcharge for swapping staterooms.!!

We did eventually swap statrooms with no extra charge to anyone and to the relief of our handicapped man.

Unreal.

Last month, told our TA to book us on the Oasis.

She booked it, told us that there was only one JR Suite cabin available that could accomodate three of us, it was HC on deck 14.

We took it.

Last week got the call, would we move to a deck 8 Jr. Suite?

Absolutely.

We are now on deck 8.

Not sure if it qualifies as an "upgrade" or not, but we had an OV booked for 3 adults on the Grandeur...DH & I were on our 2nd, our 3rd was a friend that was on his 10th cruise...and found out when we boarded that we'd been moved to an HCA... when we got into our room, we discussed it, and made it well known to both our cabin steward and to the Hotel Manager that IF it were determined later that day or even later during the trip that someone NEEDED the HCA room, we were more than willing to give it up. Never a peep or request to move, but someone must have appreciated our willingness to be flexible...every night there were canapes, sweets or a bottle of wine waiting for us. I would do the same again, not for the "freebies", but just because...

• 2 weeks later...

I just came across this thread when I was searching online for a Central Park Balcony cabin on Allure (9.9.12 saling). There are none available at all on Royal's website but on one major travel booking site they are showing 3 HC Central Park Balcony Cabins available and no other CP Balcony cabins are showing available. What is up with this? If we try to book tomorrow over the phone with Royal will we be able to get something that is showing sold out on Royal's website? I don't want to take a HC room from a disabled person but if we can reserve it and end up getting bumped it probably wouldn't be a big deal. If it was not needed for a HC passenger then it would be great to have the CP balcony room since that was our first cabin type choice.

Archived