January vs february

TiogaCruiser

Considering HALs January 10 and Jan 30 Antarctica trip.

Could those who have done similiar trips share what you know about likelihood of weather and wildlife for mid January vs. Early February? ( I reasize every trip/ year is different).

Also, what about currents/ seas around the Horn: generally is it more likely to be a wild ride eastbound or westbound?

Thanks,

TC

Considering HALs January 10 and Jan 30 Antarctica trip.

Could those who have done similiar trips share what you know about likelihood of weather and wildlife for mid January vs. Early February? ( I reasize every trip/ year is different).

Also, what about currents/ seas around the Horn: generally is it more likely to be a wild ride eastbound or westbound?

Thanks,

TC

I just got back on Jan 26 from the cruise on the Veendam that left Jan 6. Except for rain in Puerto Montt, we had great weather.

Allbeit the captain chose not to dock in Ushuaia, Argentina as we were expecting 28 feet waves if we did not head over Drakes Passage to Antarctica that night. We got an extra day in Antarctica (nice bonus but sorry to miss Ushuaia).

The first day there we had a bit of snow and overcast. The next three days were fabulous. (Weather about 36F (per the cruise log - although at times it felt abit colder but not much)

We had very clear and calm weather for tendering into the Falklands.

Based on the weather, we had I would recommend early January. We did the post cruise in Iguazu Falls too (cruise went from Valparaiso to Santiago) and had rain one day but weather was in 80's 90's F.

If I went again to Antarctica I would go the same time.

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...

I too would opt for the Jan 10 sailing simply because it's closer to midsummer. We sailed across the Drake to Antarctica (not around the horn). We had fair seas going down, and waaaaaay big waves coming back. You never know. The wind and currents go west to east, so MAYBE it's rougher going against them as opposed to going with them, but if there is weather, it's going to be a wild ride no matter which direction the ship is pointed.

My Antarctica trip was early February (3rd to 14th) and we had absolutely gorgeous weather the whole time, Drake Lake going down and a bit of a Drake Shake coming back.

Some people told me you see less animals in February, but I guess nobody told the thousands of penguins and hundreds of seals we saw that they were not supposed to be there. The penguins chicks were all grown up though (they had lost most of their baby down) but they were still there.

As you said, it really varies from year to year so it's difficult to tell you for sure which date is better. and I agree with indigosails about the state of the sea around the Horn.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived