Alcohol Taken Away

ktwood

We cruised out of NO this past February and many of our group of 38 brought alcohol in our checked luggage with no problems. We did NOT bring too much. I had one small bottle (20oz plastic water bottles) in each piece of checked luggage with one bottle of wine. We brought kahlua and vodka and I enjoyed white russians on our balcony while getting ready for dinner....adda little icecream.....mmmmmm:p

Hi Betty. I was just searching for advice on bringing alcohol on board when I ran across this response from you. When I was in high school we went on a band trip to Toronto. I smuggled Vodka in my contact lense bottles (not all my bottles). We had a grand ole' time!!

I just want something to sip on in the cabin. I'm not planning on throwing wild parties in my room. I'm sure we will get a couple bottles of "something" on board.

Cotton,

Our soft drinks were taken away on the Elation in February. My sis had 3 12pks. 1 of water, one of Sprite and one of some type of juice drink (she has 3 children).

It was on our rolling cart with our carry-ons. We'd never hidden soft drinks and water before. We were stopped and told we were allowed 6 cans PER CABIN. After some bickering with an old lady at the table confiscating what she could we were allowed to take 2 of the 12 pks and had to leave one (the sprite, I think).

A paper was completed that had to be signed and we could pick it up at the end of the cruise. We didn't. We forgot about it until we were outside the terminal and decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

So now you may have to hide soft drinks too.

Thanks for all the great Information about the Liq.

What about Soda or Water... I know most cruise lines say it's ok to bring a small amount of soda on the Ship? How much is that a 12 pack?

And can you just walk on with more water or soda at the Ports.

Thanks again Randy :) :)

I would think a 12 pack would be acceptable for 2 people. Approximately a less than a can a day per person. :)

As for liquor being confiscated, I've seen it happen more than once and heard a few complaining (much like someone else mentioned about a baby losing its bottle). Personally, I don't see why anyone should take the chance. Especially nowadays with things, supposedly, being tighter in terms of security. You can make any argument you want in smuggling, but the fact is that's against the rules. ;) I don't think it's worth potentially getting my vacation off to a bad start just to save a few bucks.

I was reading some where that some have purchased items at the duty free shop just before you board the ship.

My question is do you still have your suit case to put it in or has the suit cases already been checked at that point I will be going out of San Juan puerto Rico and want to know if I need to buy before the Duty free shop??

Thanks Randy :) :)

On Carnival in the brochure it even says if you are celebrating something then you can bring on a bottle etc. So if they ever ask just say you are celebrating something!

The problem is, they don't say a bottle etc... they say you can bring a bottle of wine or champagne... so if you bring a bottle of liquor and try to say you are celebrating something, they ain't buying it :p That being said, I have never had a problem, but I go into it realizing that they could take it, and if they did, it certainly wouldn't ruin my vacation... I know the risks.

I don't think many people have problems. Just put it in your check in luggage and don't try to carry it on. Of course you always roll the dice when this happens. You could be a random check and get it taken away, but you have to decide if it is worth it to you or not.

I had a bag I was going to carry on, but decided to check with some pop and water in it. This was on 4/24 Victory.

It made it to our cabin, but it was REAL obvious that someone had went looking through it. If there would have been alcohol in there, I am sure it would have been nabbed.

I had a bag I was going to carry on, but decided to check with some pop and water in it. This was on 4/24 Victory.

It made it to our cabin, but it was REAL obvious that someone had went looking through it. If there would have been alcohol in there, I am sure it would have been nabbed.

Not necessarily ;) My bag last year had obviously been gone through as well, and arrived at my cabin with 2 bottles, intact :D It is a roll of the dice, but it is rare that you hear about anyone having it confiscated from their checked baggage...

I would pack the alcohol in your checked luggage, then lock the suitcase. It's not the airport. They scan the bags looking for guns and bombs, and if your suitcase was locked and they saw something that they think might look like alcohol, I don't think they'd go through the trouble. After you hand off your bag, who knows what will happen to it? And who knows how long it sits in the hallway before you come back to your room and see it? I'd lock it.

Does everyone leave their beer in the Case it comes in or should I put it an empty box of Soda, as therules say you can bring some soda on Board ??

Also is two 12 packs to much of Soda?? :) :)

Thanks Randy

We were on the conquest 4/24 - 5/1. We had a roller ice chest (50 can) we filled it with bber, diet coke and water. It was the first piece of luggage delivered to our room!

In our luggage I packed Bacardi wrapped in bubble wrap. Also we stuck beer in all the voids in our luggage. NO PROBLEM! Nice to have a cocktail or beer on our balcony.

Wannacruisemore

I just got off Valor (May 1-8) and had no problem taking a case of beer and 3 bottles of liquor. All were in my checked baggage. All I did was wrap them in a towel and put them in a plastic bag. The sad thing was that all I finished was the beer...had half of each bottle of liquor that I left in my room. I also had a bottle of champagne that was in my carry on...again no problem. Forget putting it in a contact lens bottle or water bottle.

On our Conquest cruise this past Jan., I packed DBF's duffle bag with a case of water (.5L bottles - I drink water like a fish!) with a blanket on top. (Yes, I took my blankie - leave me alone!!:p ) I cable tied the duffle bag closed. When we handed it over to the porter, he made a comment about it being a "heavy bag" & asked what was in it. We told him water bottles & my blanket. He laughed. He said it was "cute" that I was bringing my "blankie" along. :o Nothing else was said & the duffle bag arrived safe & sound at our cabin.

While going through checkpoint, we took a small hardsided cooler filled with 2 bottles of wine & a corkscrew. Nothing was said. I was also carrying a big door sign I had made for DBF's bday. We set sail the day of his actual bday. Not only did I get compliments for my door sign, but he received lots of bday wishes from the Carnival employees during the whole check-in process. :D

The extra duffle bag came in handy on the way back, too. We filled it with lots of gifts for those left at home. (Yes, we did drink all that water & even gave some away to friends when they would come into our cabin & asked for a bottle.)

Come Oct., I will be on my bachelorette cruise on the Valor. I know I will be taking water & wine once again. Although, I am not quite sure what else the gals will attempt to bring along. :eek: :cool:

Happy sailing,

T.

• 4 weeks later...

I am planning on taking some beer for drinking in the room for winding down at night (case for week)should be enough:confused: , my cruise will be leaving in sept and I am wondering if I should put it all in one suitecase or should I split it up through 5 or 6 suitecases?:p

OKay.....we were on the Conquest end of April.....We brought a 50 can roller ice chest filled with beer on the bottom (3/4's way up) topped it off with diet cokes and water. It was the first piece of luggage that arrived at our cabin (Yippee) no ice...yet. In our luggage I packed bacardi and vodka in original bottles I did bubble pack them.....No problem.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Did you not lock it?

Does everyone leave their beer in the Case it comes in or should I put it an empty box of Soda, as therules say you can bring some soda on Board ??

Also is two 12 packs to much of Soda?? :) :)

Thanks Randy

I was thinking of doing the same thing..putting beer in the soda box. LOL

OKay.....we were on the Conquest end of April.....We brought a 50 can roller ice chest filled with beer on the bottom (3/4's way up) topped it off with diet cokes and water. It was the first piece of luggage that arrived at our cabin (Yippee) no ice...yet. In our luggage I packed bacardi and vodka in original bottles I did bubble pack them.....No problem.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Was your ice chest soft sided or hard? I wonder with all the luggage being moved around, how my cans would survive in a soft sided cooler.

• 8 months later...

I've heard and read a lot of stories about bringing liqour on Carnival... any scoops on Princess? I'm under the impression they're a bit more strict about not allowing passengers to bring alcohol onboard. Anything to report or advice to share?

• 4 months later...

You gotta keep in mind..the wording states that they reccomend you not bring any alchol on board. It does not say "do not bring any alchol on board". I always take my beer,liquor and cokes wrapped in socks and t-shirts with no problems what so ever. Look at your contract and see how it is worded. 10 cruises so far and no problems....Im 54 and I know everything...ha-ha.

Has anyone ever had there alcohol taken away (in there checked luggage) at the Port of New Olreans?[/Q

Archived