Transportation Sharing - FCO to Civitavecchia

RaceGirlA2

My boyfriend and I are looking to take the Equinox from Rome on Friday, June 1st, 2012. Our flight would arrive in FCO at 9:30 a.m. on June 1st. Transportation is incredibly expensive and I wondered if anyone out there is also doing this cruise and would consider sharing a car (or even a van if there's more than four of us) so that the cost would be a bit more reasonable. We would also be looking to share a car back to the airport at the end of the cruise (we will be getting an early disembarkation since we have an 11:30 a.m. flight home). I look forward to hearing from any of you. This is my first post - I don't know the rules so please bear with me. :)

Welcome to cruise critic!

You'll find that your roll call will be your best option for sharing rides/excursions. You can find it under the roll call section of this website.

I took the Equinox from Civitevecchia last year. Loved it! We took the train though as it's easy(ish) and quite affordable. If you're good mobility wise, you might want to consider it as an option. The train station is located down the street from the port (it's a bit of a walk but straight down 1 street along the water) and you can get on the train at FCO (i can't remember if you have to change or not as we took the train from rome to civi not from the airport last year).

Oh and just because I'd HIGHLY recommend changing your flight to a few days earlier....you don't want to risk missing the ship - and rome is an AWESOME city to experience for a few days pre cruise. :-)

It'll be a crappy start to a vacation if you miss the ship. :(

Thanks for your advice. I think we may try to get in a day earlier if for no other reason than so we can sleep!! :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

I also strongly encourage you to fly in a day (or preferably two) early. There are several benefits:

*Much less chance of missing the ship.

*Ability to overcome your jet lag so you can start the cruise feeling energetic

*Opportunity to sightsee in Rome (tons to see there).

Definitely check out the Roll Call for your cruise. I have linked up with others for shared transportation in Rome on my Roll Call when I have sailed out of Rome. It does save a lot of money! The Roll Call is also a great forum for planning group activities/excursions as well as exchanging info.

Have a great cruise. The Equinox is an amazing ship.

Thank you for the advice Gonzo. I do not even want to think about missing the ship - I would be heartbroken. This will be my first European cruise and I want to do it right.:)

Looks like we just missed each other on the Millennium; I sailed on her in February and am sailing again in May. Looks like you were on her January and March.

Thank you for the advice Gonzo. I do not even want to think about missing the ship - I would be heartbroken. This will be my first European cruise and I want to do it right.:)

Here is a link to the June 1 Equinox roll call. I'm not on this cruise, but typically roll calls have many posts related to transportation, so start reading when you get a chance.

We've been to Europe many times, so we have been comfortable taking the train from airport to Rome and again from Rome to port. We are able to manage our own luggage, and we always monitor the ever-changing transportation labor strike issues in Italy :(.

Since this is your first trip, you may want to seek shared transportation from airport to Rome on the day you plan to arrive (assuming it is not the same day as the cruise), and then share transportation from Rome to the port on June 1.

Gonzo - we really liked the Millenium. It'll be interesting to see how see looks after her makeover this spring. We did back to back in January (to escape the Michigan winter). It was nice to see that between the January and March cruises they updated their menu. Even on the 4-nt cruise we had lobster and they did the Baked Alaska parade which wasn't on our earlier cruise. Nice additions.

Definitely go in 2-3 days early then. You'd havea nice time site seeing in Rome at your leisure. This year left nj on 10/6, got to rome on the overnight on 10/7 and did 7-9th in rome and got on board on 10/10 in civi. It was great. Also, if your luggage doesn't make it the same day (god forbid) it has time to catch up on land.

Archived