How is Costa?

WTXbigkid

Just curious how Costa stacks up against the other cruise lines. I've never cruise with them, but their prices are pretty good, especially for a solo traveler like me. Any thoughts?

I was drawn to Costa for their fantastic transatlantic itinerary last fall on the Atlantica. Supposedly, Americans have access to cheaper fares than Europeans booking the same cruises. Which is weird because I got a cheaper Hertz car rental for Italy by booking on a UK site than the U.S. site.

Americans are a fraction of Costa's market. One reason is that it is not cheap to fly over there anymore so if you do go, consider combining the cruise with a land jaunt. Say a few days in Provence (not that far from Savona) or Tuscany. I would say that NCL might be a bit more budget in terms of quality than Costa and RCI might be a bit more on par. I found service on Costa to be far better than NCL. The Costa staff was really sweet and fun. Smoking was about the same as other ships I've been on in the last 20 years. I would consider myself sensitive to it. I really expected the worst about the smoke because it is a European line and was pleasantly surprised. I've heard though that some of their Asia cruises might have more smoke so I might be reticent to book those without further investigation. Read the online reviews from people who have cruised the line. Often, you can tell by how they are written if the reviewers' tastes and preferences are similar to your own.

It really depends on what you are looking for. I would rate Costa about the same as NCL. Costa is usually chaeper than lines like Celebrity or HAL- so you also get less, from my experience. The product is fair and the fellow cruisers are younger and the ships are more lively than Celebrity and HAL, the service is ok, but not great. It is all a bit chaotic from my experience, but that did not bother me too much. The food was ok- i was not really happy with the buffets - either the chioces nor the atmospehere. So we often had room service in the morning and for lunch on sea days, which was fine.

If the cruise with Costa is costing about the same as Celebrity/Hal I would not go, if you get a good deal- have a try. It is not that bad :) Also, the prices for suits are lower on Costa than on other lines- so if you like the suite experience, you get it for less on Costa.

The food on Costa in the MDR and the choice was much better than on NCL! service was marginally better on Costa, the Buffet was better on NCL though they charge much more than Costa for their fares.

I have been on 54 cruises and 7 Costa cruises, really like the food on Costa, Costa has a pasta cource that is included in dinner, it really helps if you love Itilian food like we do. I would take Costa over NCL and Carnival and would be happy to cruise them again. Love the ship the Atlantica ( all of my Costa cruises were in the Caribbean ).

and otherwise usually cruise with Celebrity. I have also been a solo cruiser most of the time. I liked Costa but I don't know that I would recommend this line for solo cruising.

The ship (Mediterranea) was lovely, the staff was (in most cases) among the best in my experience, and I thought the food was good. Port visits tend to be on the short side.

My primary reason for discouraging you as a solo cruiser is that there was just one small group of English speakers on my cruise. I speak only English and a bit of French, and I love travel and the experience of other cultures. But I found on Costa somehow I never quite got around language barriers overall. There were many Italian families onboard, and the atmosphere was quite festive. I had learned a tiny bit of Italian but did not have much opportunity to use it, quite honestly.

I love meeting fellow cruisers--that's one of the best parts of cruising for me. And it's especially important when I cruise solo.

I was with a friend on my Costa cruise and we met just three or four people, who were our tablemates.

Again, I liked the cruise very much. There was an Italian Night presentation in the MDR that was just wonderful, quite memorable. We had a grand suite that was out of this world. But I know I'd have felt isolated if I'd been on my own. Just my two cents.

As I said in another thread, all the mass cruise lines are very similar. Just depends if small things like bathrobes are important to you. I don't find them cheaper than other lines at all. We've had cheaper cruises with NCL whom I also like but prefer the smoking policy on Costa. I'm sick of standing outside to have a ciggie :cool: and won't be paying good money to do that any more.

The crew, as on all ships we've sailed, are great. Mainly Philippinos, but also from everywhere else you can think of.

Oh, and you won't see burgers and hot-dogs everywhere either:)

Just picked some family members up from a Costa Favolosa cruise out of Dubai. We usually cruise with them on HAL or Celebrity so it was interesting to see their pictures and hear their experience. They are European so a mix of languages was not a problem for them and as one is a smoker.....that was less of a problem too. They liked the design of the ship, staff was friendly and helpful, sun loungers were plentiful on other decks if the pool area was full. They chose late seating (nine pm) and had a solo traveler at their table. In fact he was the only other person at the table. There was another gentleman sitting by himself that wanted to be assigned to their table and they told him he couldn't:rolleyes:. Yes, I know, he could just bring his plate over anyway. They enjoyed having the menu in their native tongue readily available without having to ask as well as the daily newsletter. They found the food hit or miss. Less variety in the lido area, only water, tea, and coffee offered at no cost, the beef was tender, the seafood was good but the other entrees not always so good. If you are counting on real tiramisu for dessert.....forget it. Though there was pasta available, they found other Italian choices lacking for an Italian ship.

As other posters mentioned, there were a lot of Italian families but that added to the fun and liveliness on board. Their greatest compliment about their cruise experience was how most of the venues were full of people after dinner, unlike other popular lines. The life boat drill was taken before sail-away as required. This was a short seven night cruise but it did have two itinerary changes while under way. Two ports were switched because of rough seas and they never sailed to Abu Dhabi as planned but provided a shuttle bus from Dubai. The changes were a problem for people with independent tours and not much advance notice was given to make different arrangements.

Hope this is helpful.

Just picked some family members up from a Costa Favolosa cruise out of Dubai. We usually cruise with them on HAL or Celebrity so it was interesting to see their pictures and hear their experience. They are European so a mix of languages was not a problem for them and as one is a smoker.....that was less of a problem too. They liked the design of the ship, staff was friendly and helpful, sun loungers were plentiful on other decks if the pool area was full. They chose late seating (nine pm) and had a solo traveler at their table. In fact he was the only other person at the table. There was another gentleman sitting by himself that wanted to be assigned to their table and they told him he couldn't:rolleyes:. Yes, I know, he could just bring his plate over anyway. They enjoyed having the menu in their native tongue readily available without having to ask as well as the daily newsletter. They found the food hit or miss. Less variety in the lido area, only water, tea, and coffee offered at no cost, the beef was tender, the seafood was good but the other entrees not always so good. If you are counting on real tiramisu for dessert.....forget it. Though there was pasta available, they found other Italian choices lacking for an Italian ship.

As other posters mentioned, there were a lot of Italian families but that added to the fun and liveliness on board. Their greatest compliment about their cruise experience was how most of the venues were full of people after dinner, unlike other popular lines. The life boat drill was taken before sail-away as required. This was a short seven night cruise but it did have two itinerary changes while under way. Two ports were switched because of rough seas and they never sailed to Abu Dhabi as planned but provided a shuttle bus from Dubai. The changes were a problem for people with independent tours and not much advance notice was given to make different arrangements.

Hope this is helpful.

Wow Lilybob..what a great summary!

More informative than many ten page reviews! Good job! :)

• 2 months later...

Susanp- can you tell me about the grand suite please. We are looking at a cruise on the Mediterranea and possibly a grand suite. We did a corner aft

suite on the Atlantica and loved the room. Wasn't sure the difference in the suite to a grand suite.

Susanp- can you tell me about the grand suite please. We are looking at a cruise on the Mediterranea and possibly a grand suite. We did a corner aft

suite on the Atlantica and loved the room. Wasn't sure the difference in the suite to a grand suite.

i would be interested, too. i have one booked for a november cruise. it is my understanding the aft GS is two rooms. very small living area and bedroom. of course the huge balcony is the main selling point for a caribbean cruise.

evidently, I am in the minority-we have done in total, over 18 cruises and 3 were on Costa-my sister-in-laws idea, and have not enjoyed one of them. The ships, to me, are decorated loud and garish, the staff, on all three, with the except of one room steward, was surly and rude. The food was next to inedible. I lose at least 5 pounds everytime we cruise with them. They could sell it as a diet cruise. On the last one, a cruise of Norways' fjords, the only dining option at night was the dining room, the additional charge resturant, and a horrible selection of below par pizza. No roon service, no buffet,no alternate. I would smile and try to engage the staff, only to met with stares and frowns. I will never sail Costa again, I would much rather spend a little more and have a more pleasant holiday.

Archived