New Orleans, Conquest luggage question

mzloolue

Apparently we will be in New Orleans at the same time as the NCAA finals at the SuperDome.

We had kind of thought of staying in the French Quarter and wandering around a bit.

It is now obvious that we will not be staying in the French Quarter for sure.

So, I'm trying to think outside the box just a little bit.

If you know, could you answer a few questions please?

What time does the parking at the terminal open?

What is the earliest that luggage can be dropped off?

Does the Fulton Street Garage fill up during big events?

I have been to New Orleans several times, but I have never been in the Riverwalk / French Quarter area during a really busy time, so anything you thing you want to share that could be helpful would be appreciated!

I doubt its any more crowded the week you are there as the Saturday after Thanksgiving when there is some huge bowl game.

It took me a while, but I finally found a cruise deal for $159 .. cant remember, but a big name Convention Center hotel. Booked it the day almost bookings opened.

I also have a back up at Holiday Inn Airport at $168. There cruise package includes a welcome drink and breakfast and shuttle both directions!!!, and parking during the cruise.

I really dont think you want to try to sneak thru that horrible parking line to drop off luggage. Wait until you can check in is my advice. The line to park gets pretty awful and last time my shuttle driver had to cut thru the line to drop us off so he didnt wind up waiting in line for an hour... that port can be a mess around 10 am

there are parking deals .. believe me .. I had to work to find them .. but 3 of the holiday inns have cruise deals. The westbank? holiday inn doesnt have a shuttle, so even though cheaper, without the shuttle, $99? or whatever it was, by the time I added in the cost of a taxi .. airport or the convention center was the best deal.

I work the angles and have gone out of there quite a few times.. nov conquest is totally crazy. Half the hotels are totally blacked out .. so I know you could stay close enough to french qtr for about the same money total outlay if you wanted.

PS there is not a fixed time they open to check luggage .. depends on when the previous ship gets in.. if its late, they usually dont take luggage until most of the people are off the ship.

We stayed at a Super 8 just off I-10. It was about $150 total for 2 nights plus parking for the week. Shuttle was extra, $4 per person plus tip I think.

The motel was clean, quiet and cheap. Older, but serviceable. Parking is behind the motel and is covered. And the shuttle will give you a card to call for pickup when you get back.

Thank you firefly and sinjan.

Right now there are not many rooms available in the area.

I imagine that as teams lose and will no longer be in the tournament that there will be cancellations.

We found a room outside the city and will drive in to the city in the morning.

So we are covered and can cancel if we find a more interesting place to stay.

The cruise sails on April Fools Day:)

The Final Four games will be Saturday night.

And on Sunday there will be a parade of kids dribbling basketballs from the Superdome to the Convention Center.

I definitely want to be parked and on the ship as early as possible as it sounds like a super not fun time to be trying to drive in the area!

Archived