Tell me about Jewel aft cabins 8134/8634

dcward89

I have these two cabins on hold for the April 21, 2013 Panama Canal sailing and before I decide for sure I am wondering about the size of the balconies. We have sailed in regular side balconies on the Star and several aft balconies on Royal Caribbean but never an aft on NCL. Are these aft balconies larger than a regular balcony? Is there room for loungers? We are aft loyalists on Royal Caribbean, especially Radiance class and we're hoping the afts on NCL are just as awesome.

@dcward89 -

We have crossed the Atlantic three times in those two cabins, once in 8134 and twice in 8634, on the Jewel and Gem. Cannot compare these cabins to a side cabin because we ONLY cruise in aft cabins. However, if you want a larger than normal balcony, look at deck 10. Those balconies are deeper by about 2-2.5 ft. Why aft cabins? Location, location, location. You are never on the 'wrong' side of the ship, have a panoramic view and no wind while underway. Set the TV to the bow camera channel, and you'll have advance notice of what you'll see live a short time later.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We are in one of those cabins in January. It is the same size as the side balcony cabins. (the aft 10's and 9's were taken when we booked)

2 lounge chairs will fit but it is a tight squeeze.

They will be side by side touching (like a double lounge..all the better for snuggling) and you will not be able to walk around them. Picture a bed up against a wall..you have to climb over one lounger to get to the other. Then the chairs and table will fit side by side against the balcony divider.

It's tight but we do it and don't mind it being a bit of a tight squeeze. It is still very comfortable for the two of us and with that amazing view, a book, and something to nibble on pretty much perfect :)

We are in one of those cabins in January. It is the same size as the side balcony cabins. (the aft 10's and 9's were taken when we booked)

2 lounge chairs will fit but it is a tight squeeze.

They will be side by side touching (like a double lounge..all the better for snuggling) and you will not be able to walk around them. Picture a bed up against a wall..you have to climb over one lounger to get to the other. Then the chairs and table will fit side by side against the balcony divider.

It's tight but we do it and don't mind it being a bit of a tight squeeze. It is still very comfortable for the two of us and with that amazing view, a book, and something to nibble on pretty much perfect :)

I am in 8634 on the jan 19 cruise so we must be neighbors. Thanks for the info cause I was wondering if two lounge chairs would fit

Marsha

I am in 8634 on the jan 19 cruise so we must be neighbors. Thanks for the info cause I was wondering if two lounge chairs would fit

Marsha

Well Hello Neighbour! :) Yes we are on the January 19th cruise!

I too am a snorkel girl..one of the primary reasons for doing this itinerary. I am snorkeling at all ports except Belize. We are going to Lamani Ruins for that one.

Have you checked out our rollcall yet?

We have a nice group who have several socials planned. Meet &greet, Slot pull, small cabin crawl (ours is one of the cabins) and a "celebration" desert during the Choc buffet. This is also small at this point but I expect it will grow. It is for anyone celebrating a special occasion on the ship..and those who want to help us celebrate. Also a few of us are doing a Steamboat tour in NOLA on Saturday before we head to the ship on Sunday.

There is also lots of info on New Orleans as we have folks from the city on our cruise, and lots of info on port excursions if you have not yet decided on everything.

So come on over..the water is fine :)

Angela

8134 and 8634 are standard size balconies, same as the side ones

we had 2 down, 8630 and it was an SF so was 1.5 wide with a lounger

better to pick deck 10 - slightly bigger - we had an aft one there and could get 4 chairs and a table on there comfortably

It's a long walk to anywhere from those aft cabins mind