From Royal Carribean to Celebrity: Lots of Questions

misty57

We are Diamond level on Royal, but we are planning to sail on Equinox next March. I have read a few things on the boards about the excellent service and such, but really have not a good picture in my head of the type of cruising experience we will have.

On Royal, formal night isn't always gowns and tuxes, but cocktail dresses and suits are the norm. The only thing they are strict about is no shorts in the MDR. Will DH need to rent a tux or is his suit ok? Are cocktail dresses ok for formal night or do I need to bring something dressier?

We will have Elite status since we have loyalty level with RCI. I did not see anything on the Celebrity website about discounts for booking. Is there a balcony discount?

Is it best to book online or call? I don't use a TA anymore for domestic cruises. I usually get OBC by using my Royal Carribean Visa points. Does Celebrity have a similar card?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions! Any other opinions about the ship or difference between Royal and Celebrity would be appreciated as well.

Chris

A suit and cocktail dress are perfectly fine for formal night; while on average Celebrity is a bit dressier than RCI, not too many people go with tuxes and gowns.

No balcony discount for Celebrity. The Elite perks are nice though. 90 minutes per person of free internet, free bag of laundry per person, free cocktails from 5pm-7pm most evenings, etc.

There is not currently a credit card that award OBC for Celebrity cruises. Does not matter if you book online or over phone. If you have RCL stock you can receive OBC.

I really enjoy Celebrity. I find it to be more upscale than RCI. RCI is best at providing lots of action and activities; Celebrity is best at providing a relaxing, elegant atmosphere.

Be sure to have some cocktails at the Molecular Bar; they are very creative and great cocktails and this lounge is often overlooked. The martini bar is fun too. Be sure to take in at least one Hot Glass show; very entertaining and talented artists. Also if you appreciate good food, make sure you try at least a couple of the specialty restaurants; if you want to try them all they sell packages on board to bring down the cost.

Have a great cruise; Equinox is an amazing vessel. :)

Not true about the balcony discount....depending on your level of "loyalty" Celebrity does offer discounts off cabins on their "loyalty cruises." We recently got $125 off our veranda from the published price. Does depend on cruise/duration.

Archived