Gluten Free options

I am pleased to read how accomodating Carnival is for gluten free cruisers. I have heard they will make make almost any menu item gluten free. Has anyone been provided a list? For example it would be nice to know which salad dressings and other condiments are gluten free - those items that sometimes have hidden gluten. I'll be travelling with my kids and often a quick lunch or breakfast in the buffet is the quickest and easiest way to go. My TA did put on our reservation my need to be gluten free but I'm hoping to see some of my options ahead of time especially because I'm learning that gluten is hidden in so many foods where you wouldn't expect it.

I eat gluten free. We eat dinner at early seating. Each night, The headwaiter takes my order for the next evening. They are the ones that are trained on food allergies. Obviously that isn't possible on the first night so I order something safe like steak and a baked potato.

For the buffets, you're pretty much on your own to determine what is safe for you. On Princess, they say to talk to a sous chef in the buffet area and that works well.

The best thing is they can make their chocolate melting cake gluten free! I have it every night (except the first.)

My daughter is gluten sensitive (not intolerant) and I was surprised to see that they offered gluten free foods. We are bringing her Probiotics with us and that will help with her issues as long as we keep her gluten intake to a reasonable level, but I was wondering if they could do things like french toast with the gluten free bread they have available onboard.

I was wondering if they could do things like french toast with the gluten free bread they have available onboard.

I have read somewhere on these boards that you can place an order for gfree pancakes and french toast the day prior to be served in the MDR. I haven't tried yet, I cruise next weekend...

They also said to ask about the breakfast potatos, as some variations are not gfree.

I have read somewhere on these boards that you can place an order for gfree pancakes and french toast the day prior to be served in the MDR. I haven't tried yet, I cruise next weekend...

They also said to ask about the breakfast potatos, as some variations are not gfree.

Thanks for letting me know that....This is why I love these message boards. You can learn so much!

• 1 month later...
My daughter is gluten sensitive (not intolerant) and I was surprised to see that they offered gluten free foods. We are bringing her Probiotics with us and that will help with her issues as long as we keep her gluten intake to a reasonable level, but I was wondering if they could do things like french toast with the gluten free bread they have available onboard.

They can in the main dining room for breakfast. Hubby (Celiac disease) ate there some mornings so could have GF menu. Don't know if he had french toast, but I ate there with him one morning when he ordered pancakes and they were not good. It's not easy finding good GF bread products. He was extremely impressed with Carnival and the way they helped him with his GF diet! He really liked the GF warm choc melting cake!

I've also read that the Pizza place on Lido will make you gluten free pizza. They need a days notice. You can also tell the deli you need gluten free bread and they will have that there for u. As others have said, gluten free pancakes and french toast are available in the MDR. My husband is gluten intolerant and they have always worked with him.

Pat

We cruised with a lady who has Crohn's in march. They took wonderful care of her on the Dream. It was the dining room hostess, rather than head waiter who took care of the dietary special needs. She cannot have gluten OR dairy. They even made her warm choc melting cake. The only thing that seemed limited in variety for her was dessert. Other than that she enjoyed a variety of delicious foods and was just tickled with the service that was provided for her. She particularly enjoyed the pancakes.

Just off the Magic, my umpteenth GF cruise (Celiac). Some ships are better than others. My order was messed up a few times and I didn't get what I ordered but nothing major. It's the hostesses that take the orders, not the waiters. So, it's only as good as your hostess is. I had a great head waitress who pushed the hostesses to go ask the chef if they could do this or that.

I don't order breakfast or lunch for the DR as I find those easy enough to eat on my own and I'm a light lunch eater. Also, on Magic, the steakhouse prepared all GF for me as did the Cucina. I had to pre-order for the Cucina. About the fifth day,they mentioned that GF pizza and bread in the deli is available all the time. That also varies by ship. If you are super sensitive to cross contamination, I don't know that either of those are good options.

I'm not a fan of their bread but it is now listed on the regular menu In the dining room for breakfast. Always request any omelettes or scrambled eggs be made with FRESH eggs as the mix has gluten. They are happy to do that on Lido or in the DR. They will do French toast, eggs benedict or pancakes if you pre-order. The pancakes are more like crepes....strange little things.

For dessert, they made me sorbet several times (several flavors) and GF people can order creme brûlée any night or the chocolate melting cake. The sorbet was the best! The only thing I asked for that they couldn't do was the lasagna. Also, they wouldn't be able do any of the fried appetizers or entrees i don't think. I never order them but maybe someone else has. Although they can do pasta, be aware it's a corn pasta product. I don't happen to like that kind as much as the brown rice pasta products (Tinkyada, Mrs. Leepers) so I stay away from it. Also, I've only seen spaghetti on ANY of the ships so if you order Mac & cheese, it's really spaghetti and cheese. :)

I normally carry a couple of Udi's hamburger buns and a few slices of bread on with me. I did eat one hamburger this time but that was all so I may not do that again. I carry a few packaged foods to take off in port also.

Archived