Excursions for elderly - advice needed

Texas_cruiser

I'm new to CC, but have really found everyone's comments very helpful as we plan our first Alaska cruise aboard Diamond Princess (6/4/05).

In addition to my husband and teenage son, my 81 year old m-i-l will also be joining us on this cruise (her first). She's in excellent health for her age, but does walk with a cane since she had problems with balance at times. We'll need to tailor our excursions to those she can do for this trip. Any advice on which excursions would be most enjoyable for someone her age with mobility limitations? She's very excited about the trip (as are we all!).

We'll be in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria. Following are the tours we're considering:

• Helicopter glacier tour
  • White Pass RR
  • Renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake (if cars are still available!)
  • Misty Fjords Seaplane
  • Butchart Gardens

We're sincerely considering getting her a wheelchair or a high-end walker ("rollator") for this trip! :) I really appreciate any feedback anyone can give!

thanks!

Sondra

6 weeks to go, and counting!

I am thinking specifically about the helicopter and especially the sea plane. Getting on and off a sea plane moving up and down (even slightly) might prove a challenge. If she can step up, she can probably make it on and off the White Pass RR. The conductor and/or a member of your party could assist her. The other consideration (for all members of the party) would be motion sickness. Would everyone be OK on small aircraft or a helicopter?

Could your party split and one person accompany her on an alternate excursion if one of those listed proves unsuitable? Alaska provides a lot of options and there is something for everyone!

Lastly, I think it is great she is going and hope everyone loves Alaska as much as we do!

The White Pass RR would be a good one. Also remember in Butchart Gardens there is alot of walking so make sure there is a wheelchair available for her. The helicopter tour might be difficult for her.

marilyn

Texas_cruiser,

I am taking my 76yo mother on an Alaska cruise in 4 weeks. She also has some mild mobility issues with past knee replacement surgery and some arthritis. We are doing the White Pass railroad and later a Salmon bake in Skagway. In Ketchikan we are doing a tour of Saxman and Totem Bight with some walking. In Juneau we are doing Capt. Larry's whale watch and later a helicopter glacier flight.

I would certainly think the WP rail trip would work for your m-i-l---Princess website actually recommends it for those with handicaps or mobility issues.

My MIL who was about 70 at the time went with us to Alaska three years ago. She doesn't use a cane but is also in great physical shape. I didn't look to see where your cruise goes but I'll tell you what we did in the ports we stopped at.

Skagway-WPRR round-trip

Ketchikan-Historical waterfront cruise

Juneau-Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife Quest

Sitka-Sea Otter Wildlife Quest

Three of these were on boats of some type, but she did well on all of them and really enjoyed them. On every boat there was a place to sit down on the lower level with a good view. She was able to board each boat rather easily, with just a little bit of help.

(I just reread your post. You told where you were going. Sorry.)

Many mobility impaired visitors to Alaska. :) All should be fine choices. I'll assume as mentioned above stairs can be done? Plenty of help available if needed and you will be there? I remember one glacier helicopter landing I was on, my mother went with me and had no problem and there was a significantly mobility impaired gentleman with his son who did have some difficulity, but no one complained of the extra time involved and assistance was freely given. A wonderful trip indeed. :)

Maybe I can help.

I use a power chair, and I have major problems walking. I can transfer with assistance tho.

In Juneau we booked Capt Larry, 100% accesible, even has a van with a wheelchair lift, we also booked heli/sledding with Coastal thru them also. They are well aware of my limitations and will move the dogsled to the chopper so I can transfer easily.

Ketchikan we booked Island Wings for Misty Fjords flightseeing. Michelle said she had 3 strong guys and no problems for getting in the plane.

Skagway, we booked the RR combo with the Yukon.

I am upfront with my limitatians, I found the only company not willing to work with me was ERA Helicopters.

We are on an RCCL cruise/tour because RCCL/Celebrity has the ONLY train cars with access to the dome level.

Sherry

Archived