River Tubing with 5 year old?

drblue

Hello folks,

I am seeking advice regarding an excursion that includes the Dunn's Falls and White River Tubing, especially for people who have travelled with young children. We are 2 adults and our child who is 5 years old. We are using Phil Lafayette tours. Has anyone done this excursion with a young child? If so, I have a couple of questions mostly related to safety issues:

RIVER TUBING.

1. Do they have life vests for the young ones?

2. Is the water too rough for a child?

3. How deep is the river?

DUNN's FALLS

1. Can a child handle the uphill climb (with proper shoes and all)?

2. At the end of the climb, is there a way to avoid all the agressive sales people?

We did the river tubing on the White River the week before last. I recalled an age restriction sign but could not recall what it was so I did a Google search. This site, at least, states the minimum age is 6. http://www.chukkacaribbean.com/OchoRios/tubing.php

When we went there were several rapids because it had rained quite a lot in the week leading up to our tour. However, our table mates who went previously said it was very calm with no rapids. So, it all depends on the water level.

We did the river tubing on the White River the week before last. I recalled an age restriction sign but could not recall what it was so I did a Google search. This site, at least, states the minimum age is 6. http://www.chukkacaribbean.com/OchoRios/tubing.php

When we went there were several rapids because it had rained quite a lot in the week leading up to our tour. However, our table mates who went previously said it was very calm with no rapids. So, it all depends on the water level.

Thank you for the info and the link. It does give me an idea of what I should expect. I will check the rain averages for December since the rainn level does affect the rapids we might encounter. Thanks.

We did the DRF/White River Tubing a couple years ago with Peat Taylor. As mentioned, your experience on the river will depend on current conditions. When we went in the month of April, the water was very calm and the depth was no more than waist high on an adult. While we enjoyed the excursion, we thought it was a bit tame for adults.

As for the Falls, I think a child could handle the uphill climb IF the child is comfortable being in running water and will not balk at having to hold hands with an adult AT ALL TIMES. This is very, very important because even the adults hold hands at some points to ascend the falls due to steepness and slippery rocks. If a child did not want to hold hands during the entire ascent, it would be quite dangerous for the child (not to mention unpleasant for the other participants to have to witness the ensuing dispute between child and parents.)

Yes, there is a way to avoid the aggressive vendors, which I found by reading these threads before our trip. Just exit the same way that you entered and do not follow the "Exit" signs or the signs for the "Village Market". You will probably encounter employees telling you that you are going the wrong way, but we just smiled, told them we were going to meet our tour group, and continued on our way. It worked perfectly.

Thank you for the info GradUT.

You gave me specific info that should prove useful. My son is fine holding hands, especially up a water fall; I would not do it if it would cause a disturbance for otehr tourists. Also, thanks on the tip to avoid the "Village Market" and the agressive vendors.

Archived