Itinerary and/or Ship Recommendation

CMcG

Not sure we're really the cruising type - we usually vacation in the BlueRidge mountains and go hiking - we're not beach or pool people and shopping doesn't really appeal. Our neighbors cruise almost once a year. We have never cruised but have an Alaska cruise on Princess planned for late May. We've been talking over the fence and they want us to go on a Caribbean cruise with them.

Not sure if I have the wrong impression of Caribbean cruises - but can someone recommend an itinerary and/or ship that would allow hiking or walking tours with history. We can do some beach and/or pool time and the neighbors will do some hiking and/or walking tours. It will be a bit of a compromise for each of us but we do enjoy each other's company and think it could be a good time if my worries of boredom are overcome.

Appreciate any and all suggestions - thanks!

Awesome hiking in St. Lucia, Puerto Rico, Grenada, Dominica, Aruba and many others.

Lot's of history in Puerto Rico, Cartegena, Mayan Riviera, St. Kitts, and many others.

Thanks - now at least I know some ports to start researching & see what itineraries include them. Alaska was easy to research on CC because it is all on one forum - with all the ports in the Caribbean having different forums I didn't know where to begin - it was a bit overwhelming.

Yes as the previous poster said there are excellent hiking opportunities in St Lucia, Puerto Rico, and Dominica, and also look at Jamaica, Antigua, Tortola, and Curacao. Plenty of historic architecture and landscapes in PR, Barbados, Curacao, Mexico and other areas, and we do love the Mayan Riviera.

The forums on trapadvisor are an excellent starting point for this type of information, and you can then find even better sources.

We are Carib fans because we love the blue water and gorgeous beaches, but the area also holds a great amount of interesting history.

Take a look at posts from "Glenn" in the BVI forum on TTOL - traveltalkonline. He's a geologist I believe, and has posted some very interesting information on Tortola history. I'm betting you could spend a week there and be very happy. That happens to be our favorite Carib island.

Most of the islands in the Caribbean have a lot of history. There are plenty of tours that will bring you to the natural wonders of each island...volcanoes, falls, hot springs, rainforests.

We love to cruise from Puerto Rico to the Southern Caribbean...Tortola, Barbados, St. Kitts, Grenada, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Maarten. There is plenty to do that is not beach related but make sure to take some time to sit in the sun and take in the turquoise water!

-Kristi

Most of the islands in the Caribbean have a lot of history. There are plenty of tours that will bring you to the natural wonders of each island...volcanoes' date=' falls, hot springs, rainforests.

We love to cruise from Puerto Rico to the Southern Caribbean...Tortola, Barbados, St. Kitts, Grenada, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Maarten. There is plenty to do that is not beach related but make sure to take some time to sit in the sun and take in the turquoise water!

-Kristi[/quote']

If I spend too much time sitting in the sun I turn a beautiful shade of red - even with #45 sunscreen. In almost 30 years in FL I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to the beach or a pool.:D

Most of the islands in the Caribbean have a lot of history. There are plenty of tours that will bring you to the natural wonders of each island...volcanoes' date=' falls, hot springs, rainforests.

-Kristi[/quote']

Yes as the previous poster said there are excellent hiking opportunities in St Lucia, Puerto Rico, and Dominica, and also look at Jamaica, Antigua, Tortola, and Curacao. Plenty of historic architecture and landscapes in PR, Barbados, Curacao, Mexico and other areas, and we do love the Mayan Riviera.

The forums on trapadvisor are an excellent starting point for this type of information, and you can then find even better sources.

We are Carib fans because we love the blue water and gorgeous beaches, but the area also holds a great amount of interesting history.

Take a look at posts from "Glenn" in the BVI forum on TTOL - traveltalkonline. He's a geologist I believe, and has posted some very interesting information on Tortola history. I'm betting you could spend a week there and be very happy. That happens to be our favorite Carib island.

Thanks - lots of good starting points for research once I get back from Alaska! Look for me with questions on the individual Caribbean island forums in about two months.

If I spend too much time sitting in the sun I turn a beautiful shade of red - even with #45 sunscreen. In almost 30 years in FL I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to the beach or a pool.:D

All of the beaches have chairs and umbrellas for rent. That way you can avoid the "redness".

Archived