Disembarking, Can I catch an 8:16 am train ?

flynsail

We will be getting off the Serenade Of The Seas Sat July 28th. We need to catch a train from Barcelona Sants station to France and the only two train times are 0816hrs or 1222hrs. I am thinking I should go on the later one just to make sure but that puts me getting in to Grenoble in the evening after the car rental stations have closed. I would love to be able to make the earlier train but I'm not sure what time we'll be allowed off the ship, how long it will take to clear customs, get luggage and how long it will take a taxi to get to the train station. Does anybody have experience with this?

I should note our ship is scheduled to dock at 6am

Yes but that is if nothing goes wrong. IMO, that is way too early to even think about a train home. Oh my goodness, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my cruise because I'd be so stressed out about that disembarkation! Even if you carry your own luggage off the ship, I think it's way too close. Obviously, I wouldn't do it but others here might say you're fine. *shrug*

You could make it but you really won't have any room for error. Getting that 8:16 train assumes everything goes very well. If your ship gets in at 6:00 am, passengers might be able to leave by 7:00 am. You would need to be off the ship no later than 7:30 am. If the port the day before is close to Barcelona chances are the ship will actually get in well before 6:00 am.

You need to be at the train station for check-in about half-hour before the train leaves (at 7:46 am). The cab from the port will likely only about 15 mins since it is a Saturday morning. You should make sure you do not send your luggage out the night before, but instead walk off with it. That will save you time searching for your luggage. Also, make sure you are one of the first people off the ship or else you are likely to be stuck in a long taxi line.

Last year we took a 9:00 am train from Barcelona to Madrid, and the biggest problems were getting our luggage and getting a cab.

Good luck!

Yes, I forgot to mention that in my previous post - we waited 45 minutes in line for a cab when we disembarked in Barcelona. Oooof!!!

Oh Geez! I thank you all for your replys but as much as I would love to take the earlier train, I think for my peace of mind I will book the later one. I think I'd be too stressed trying to do it. Now we can have a nice relaxed last morning. How late do they let you disembark?

...I think for my peace of mind I will book the later one. I think I'd be too stressed trying to do it. Now we can have a nice relaxed last morning. How late do they let you disembark?

There ya go. ;) Disembarking passengers are ushered off the ship as quickly as possible to make room for the new ones, just like you when you boarded. :p We have never been allowed to stay on past 9:30 am - that was last call when we disembarked Brilliance in Barcelona. Basically, they just want you off - no denying that. :(

Archived