Binocular help

billyelliot

I have just received a pair of binoculars for my up coming 1st cruise to Alaska. I have never owned a pair, or used any before. Does anybody know if they will be worth packing. They are 8-24x50 I have no idea what this means. I have done a search but ones written about only have 2 numbers not 3. Thanks x

Here is an article on 'zoom' binoculars, which is what yours are: http://www.bigbinoculars.com/nozooms.htm If you do a google search, I'm sure you can come up with a more postitive article:)

My suggestion is that you take them outside and use them a bit, and go to a local sporting goods store and compare them to different fixed distance pairs. If you don't like the zoom binoculars, see about trading them in for a fixed distance pair if bought locally. I would guess that for some people, for some applications, they will work fine. And I'm sure that some brands are better than others.

Regardless of which type of binoculars you wind up with, definitely take them with you to Alaska. They allow you to see more detailed viewing of the abundant wildlife such as bald eagles, whales, seals, etc., and of course, the fabulous scenery.

I totally agree with mytime53 about using them before you go on the cruise to become familiar with how they work and can be adjusted.

Have a great cruise. Alaska is awesome!

Archived