Reduit Beach vs Vigie Beach

Caribbophile

Trying to decide between these 2. Travel guide books call Reduit the "best beach on St. Lucia", but the posts on this board about Vigie beach make that one sound more convenient to the cruise ship. Is there a huge difference in the attractiveness of these 2 beaches where it would be worth the extra time & more expensive cab ride to do Reduit instead of Vigie? Can live without chair rental & other amenities. More concerned with sand & water color, etc. My last trip to St. Lucia was 12 years ago & the ship excursion sightseeing tour included beach stop where both the water & sand were gray & rocky & I felt like I was back home instead of in the Caribbean! Not sure which beach that was.

Vigie Beach is the closest to the port - about a 20-30 minute walk. The sand is light tan, very long stretch of beach with pretty calm waters. No chairs/umbrellas, watersports, etc. Some local food shacks with local bites and a few drink options - beer, rum, etc, nothing blended, but basic rum and coke, vodka/OJ, cold beers.

Reduit is about a 25 minute taxi ride and is a pretty long stretch of beach also - they bring in sand sometimes as it occasionally gets eaten up by the tides. Calm swimming waters, light tan sand also, chairs/umbrellas, watersports for hire, lots of restaurant and bar options, shopping, etc.

In my opinion, neither beach is the best beach in St. Lucia - that is down south in Laborie - Rudy John Beach Park - it's about 1.15-1.5 hours from the port though and will cost you easy $100US to get to it (one way!) No amenities also - a few local eats around, that's it.

Of the 2 options asked about, Vigie is much more of a locals beach - very few tourists on it at any time (except for down at the Rendezvou Resort) Rendezvous is an adults only AI resort that offers day passes at $60USpp for half day (10-3 or 4) including lunch, all you can drink, pools, facilities and activities, etc. Might be worth checking.

Otherwise - really a question of what you are looking for. St.Lucia is not a huge beach destination - there is so much more on the island to do and see - the rainforest, the Pitons, the volcano and mud baths, plantation tours, hiking, waterfalls and gardens, etc. But for beach close to the ship - the Vigie is the closest and Reduit has the most amenities.

Hope that helps - enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much for the helpful answer reedprincess. St. Lucia is indeed a lush beautiful island and I already did extensive sightseeing tour last time. This time want a laid back vacation with no tours & just relaxing on the beach. Don't want to spend money on day pass either since only plan to spend about 2 or 3 hours at the beach. Since both Reduit & Vigie have light tan sand, what about water hues, is one more of the turquoise color than the other? As I mentioned in my other post, the beach I was taken to last trip was an off-putting color, not remotely Caribbean looking. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

Personally- I find the water mor blue and turquoise at Vigie - it is a more natural sand bottom and also not quite as churned up as Reduit can be sometimes from the current out of the Atlantic and the Channel to the north.

It is about a 20-30 minute walk, dpending on which dock you port at. Basically - from Pointe Seraphine, head out from the shops, through the parking lot and out the feeder road to the "highway" (there will be a Texaco station on your left hand side) Turn left, follow the highway around the runway of the airport. When you come to the round-a-bout, stay to the far left again, around the tip of the runway and then walk on down past Rendezvous, the graveyard, etc until you come to the wide open beach. There are a few food shacks (and I mean shacks) near the entrance to the airport for cold drinks and snacks. You can catch a cab at the airport or from one of the shacks (they should have a TX license plate) for the ride back if you don't want to walk. Should be around $10US or so.

From La Place Caranage (the 2-story shops at the other dock) exit from the building, turn left and follow the highway around the waterfront, past the smaller craft market on your left, then around the waterfront and you will come to the Texaco - same directions as above.

Enjoy your visit!

Archived