Nassau ...Closed on Sunday's ????

floridaboy4

We will be in Nassau june 12th which is on a sunday, we will only be there from 8:30am till 2:00pm (Glory)..

My question is ,will most of the shops be closed ??? I was on a Bahamas web site and it talked about sundays being a "special" day and they were into their church's and that most of the stores were closed on sunday's. Are you stuck just doing the "strawmarket" on sunday's????

I think when I looked there was at least 2 if not 3 more ships at port that day..not real for sure and I forgot the web page that I found that info on..I collect Pirate "stuff" (for my bar), and was excited about finding some really cool stuff there that I can't find around here...don't really get into the tourist stuff, all tho everyone loves to bring me a "coconut piratehead" from whatever island they have visited...which is kinda cool..seems ever port has a pirate head..lol...does anyone know of a store there that may have some cool replica (or real) stuff?? perfer replica,just incase someone likes it as much as I do..lol

There's a pirates museum

http://www.pirates-of-nassau.com/giftshop.htm

and a coin /jewelry shop called Coins of the Realm with Spanish Treasure and dubloons etc. Some, of course, might be replicas. Might be a nice addition to your collection or just interesting to see. Charlotte Street is just off the main drag, Bay Street

http://www.coinrealm.net/coins.html

We also have 3 forts with cannons intact. Fort Charlotte, Fort Montegue and Fort Fincastle. Fort Montegues cannons have never been fired in war.

Blackbeard has a big presence on the island, and it's said that the British Colonial Hilton is the site of one of his hideaways. You'll love Nassau if you are a history buff. Woodes Rodges - for whom our wharf is named, was a pirate himself who became the first governor. He made a deal with the invading pirates that he would "forgive" them if they left without harm. Those who stayed were hung, thus warning others that he meant business.

I'm so much into all that..I've taken my family to every Fort in Florida, even one that is 68 miles south of Key West (FT. Jefferson), at least if I miss the ship when it leaves, I'll be in my pirate heaven...lol will these forts be open on a sunday??? I can hear my kids now...("not another fort")..haha I might not be able to see all of it this time, but my buddy just told me he is taking his boat over to Nassau from Jupiter,Fl...he said it's only 74 miles..Scubagirl, are you a local???? or a Nassau buff??? I truly thank you for all your info..maybe I'll take the kids over to Atlantis for a quick trip and then let them go back to the ship..they are 14 and 10..then me and the wife can go check out some of the pirate things..do you know of any cool bars that have pirate history?? I go to Capt. Tony's in Key West and hang for hours...love that type of atmosphere...sorry so long...thanks again for the info..

The pirates museum is only open til 12noon on Sunday, the forts are open, but I don't know if the guides are there. There's a bar at the museum, but I'm pretty sure that it will not be open on Sunday.

As for me, I've lived and worked in Nassau on and off for nearly 20 years. Started at Club Med in '86 and made it my second home. I usually spend a few months a year in and around Nassau. My SO is a local bahamian, and we like to travel the islands by mailboat.

You might want to have a drink at Blackbeards Cove Bar at the British Colonial - given it's history.

I think they open at 5pm

Archived