Oxygen on board

As I write this I'm sitting in a condo at Park City UT on vacation with my family. I brought BOTH my EverGo for out and about because it has longer battery life and the newer SimplyGo because it has continuous flow which I must have at night. The elevation is a challenge but so far it has worked well. I do need to use a higher setting here (2) than when I'm home in AZ at a much lower elevation. I use these POCs as my ONLY source of O2 and my Dr. has no problem with my condition, but it would depend on your DHs needs.

My criticism of the SimpleGo is it isn't as user friendly as the older EverGo model and has a MUCH SHORTER battery time for use outside the home. I got mine through OxiMed.com. Another thing about the SimplyGo is so far it hasn't been approved by FAA/TSA for air travel use, but the EverGo has.

If you need other questions answered or just want to chat you can find my email in my profile. I wish you well and many happy travels :D

Have you ever had any issues with the unit breaking down? My step-dad is against buying one because he's afraid of repairing the darn thing. He thinks if they just rent the equipment then if it breaks the company has to replace it. Please let me know your experiences. Thanks.

Have you ever had any issues with the unit breaking down? My step-dad is against buying one because he's afraid of repairing the darn thing. He thinks if they just rent the equipment then if it breaks the company has to replace it. Please let me know your experiences. Thanks.

We are experiencing our first breakdown of the Evergo right now. We purchased through OxiMed. They have a loaner coming to us today and then we return ours. They will repair/replace as may be necessary and then send it back and then we return the loaner.

They were helpful and pleasant on the phone with DH (and, since this was the first issue we had - it was a bit extra stressful for DH having to deal with them since the doctors thought I had a heart attack on Monday - which, thankfully, I did not). DH opted to upgrade all around shipping to 2 day express (but, if he didn't opt for that - there would have been no charge at all for shipping).

He still has the Sequel III, the home unit and bottles as back-up.

I'll come back and update on length of time to service the unit etc. as we go.

I know the Evergo came with a 5 year warranty on it (with loaner from OxiMed for that full period of time).

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner...was out of wifi range I guess. I did have a minor concern about my EverGo about 30+ months after I purchased it. It didn't seem to keep a charge as long on the batteries and it sounded "funny" if you understand how you become accostomed to the white noise it makes... I called OxiMed and they saw it was still under warranty, shipped a loaner out to me that arrived the next day with full instructions on how to pack mine up to send it back. They included the pre-paid shipping label and would have arranged home pick up by UPS if we didn't have a way to send it off. The loner came as ONLY the basic unit, just as I was to send mine back to them... no batteries, power cords, cannulas... About 1 week later I recieved a call that my unit was set to be returned next day shipping and all was well, just did a routine service as it had about 900 hours on it. FYI I was told that it should go for up to 10,000 hours and the newer SimplyGo have a life of over 30,000 hours.

They suggested I consider replacing the batteries as they will only "re-charge" so many times before they begin to show some decline, so I did order 2 new batteries and kept the old ones as an emergency back up. By having the work done it extended or re-newed the warranty for a shorter period so I will probably arrange to have it sent in and rechecked again this fall. I will also want to do the same with the SimplyGo after a full year or 12,000 hours (not sure which will come first as I use it nightly for 8 to 10 hours)

Since it is the ONLY source of O2 I have to use I am cautious about keeping up on the maintenance and have found OxiMed to be super about supporting their products after sale.

Can there be failures? Yes, as with any sort of mechanical device. Should I rent instead of buy? That isn't something I could advise you or your step dad about... it is a personal choice. I will tell you I am NOT disappointed with my decision to purchase one, or both, of my units out of my own pocket. I feel free to take them with me wherever I may travel and not have to wonder if the monthly rental was paid by my insurance/bank/??? With proper care and some routine maintenance (like a car) they should last a good long time...

Hope this may have helped you, as well as Frik_&_Frack who are experiencing their first "breakdown".

BTW I call my EverGo "Wall-E" and the new SimplyGo "EVA" as the one is sort of "boxy" and the other is a sleek white case... what can I say, being retired puts too much time on my hands :)

As I write this I'm sitting in a condo at Park City UT on vacation with my family. I brought BOTH my EverGo for out and about because it has longer battery life and the newer SimplyGo because it has continuous flow which I must have at night. The elevation is a challenge but so far it has worked well. I do need to use a higher setting here (2) than when I'm home in AZ at a much lower elevation. I use these POCs as my ONLY source of O2 and my Dr. has no problem with my condition, but it would depend on your DHs needs.

My criticism of the SimpleGo is it isn't as user friendly as the older EverGo model and has a MUCH SHORTER battery time for use outside the home. I got mine through OxiMed.com. Another thing about the SimplyGo is so far it hasn't been approved by FAA/TSA for air travel use, but the EverGo has.

If you need other questions answered or just want to chat you can find my email in my profile. I wish you well and many happy travels :D

We just returned from our 3-wk RV trip to Glacier NP... Altitude around 5000 ft seemed to be okay for DH. We did drive over some higher elevations, and he seemed okay. We just needed to learn how to set higher settings of 02 in the car while driving and discovered the portable cylendars gave him the higher dose. How high is the elevation in Park City where you were? How much higher did you need to set your POC... This is pretty new to us... We live in the desert too, but have a cabin in Utah and hope to be able to go there soon if DH can acclimate to the 7800 ft there. Thanks for all your info...

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that unfortunately O2 equipment does need care & maintenance. I also agree that you need to work out with whomever you're renting or purchasing from what to do if you have problems with the unit. I had a SeQual Eclipse that never gave me problems but I found too bulky & heavy to use much for airline travel.

I also have had a few Respironics EverGo units. The first two had to be serviced (error codes after <100 hours of use). This 3rd unit has worked like a champ. Agree that it's best if you have a company that well send you a loaner at no charge to use while they service your unit. The companies that supply oxygen equipment whom I have spoken with all agree that the portable oxygen concentrators all need servicing from time to time.

Have also had a new liquid O2 "thermos" break on me after just a few days use & had to be replaced with a functioning one.

For what it's worth, the external charger for the Respironics EverGo will also recalibrate your battery as needed, which is said to help extend the battery life. I have my unit and about 10 batteries, the external charger and a car charger.

I know several people who have used the LifeChoice. It is important to be sure it will meet YOUR oxygen needs, as it may not supply enough O2 for some folks. One of my friends was able to get her oxygen supply company to purchase a LifeChoice unit for her, so she can use it during the day for exertion & on continuous for sleep at night. Have not heard any complaints so believe she's happy with it as a lighter alternative to the SeQual she decided was too heavy for her to handle. Have heard from some that it doesn't supply enough O2 for their needs.

• 2 months later...

Thank you to ALL of you fellow cruisers out there who have taken the time to answer all these questions that myself and others have had. Because of all your help and advice to point me in the right direction on where to look for the answers, I am happy to report that we are leaving for our Hawaiian cruise with my mom and step dad in 34 days. I did a lot of research on these POC units and got the information to my step-dad. After looking at the literature and being able to answer his questions, he has agreed to buy a POC. I purchased the Oxlife Independence from oximed for my mom yesterday. It should arrive on Thursday for her to try it out before we leave for Hawaii. Since we were going to be gone for 3 weeks, the rental costs was just shy of half the total costs of buying it. So, the kids agreed to pay the rental cost and mom and step dad paid the difference in order to buy it. I hope that it works for her and she ends up loving it. I just think it will give her such a sense of freedom!!!

Hawaii will mark 50 states for her. She is so excited to be able to say that she's been to all 50!!!

Again THANK YOU for all your posts. All of you are a wealth of information!!!

Thank you to ALL of you fellow cruisers out there who have taken the time to answer all these questions that myself and others have had. Because of all your help and advice to point me in the right direction on where to look for the answers' date=' I am happy to report that we are leaving for our Hawaiian cruise with my mom and step dad in 34 days. I did a lot of research on these POC units and got the information to my step-dad. After looking at the literature and being able to answer his questions, he has agreed to buy a POC. I purchased the Oxlife Independence from oximed for my mom yesterday. It should arrive on Thursday for her to try it out before we leave for Hawaii. Since we were going to be gone for 3 weeks, the rental costs was just shy of half the total costs of buying it. So, the kids agreed to pay the rental cost and mom and step dad paid the difference in order to buy it. I hope that it works for her and she ends up loving it. I just think it will give her such a sense of freedom!!!

Hawaii will mark 50 states for her. She is so excited to be able to say that she's been to all 50!!!

Again THANK YOU for all your posts. All of you are a wealth of information!!![/quote']

How wonderful for your Mom (and for the kids doing that to help out with the costs)!!!

Enjoy the cruise and, please, let us all know how your Mom likes the unit and how it worked for her during the cruise.

The information is priceless for all of us that are constantly researching the various units for the "latest and greatest" and the "best fit"!

Happy Cruising!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening....so a quick update on the Oxlife POC. It arrived as scheduled. We ordered the package that had 4 batteries included. However, it turns out that two of the four batteries were bad. They would not take a charge. We had also bought a desktop charger. This turned out to be really helpful in determining the problem. I called oximedical and told them the problem. They called the manufacturer and someone from the manufacturer called me. I then put him in touch with my mom so she could tell him exactly what was happening. This was on a Friday (the machine had arrived on Thursday). He asked her to mark the batteries and then check them out in the machine and desktop charger so it could be determined if it was the machine or the batteries. He called her back on Saturday (from his home not the office) to check on the status. He also gave her his direct line in case she had any questions. It turned out that we got 2 bad batteries. So, he arranged for 2 new batteries to be delivered and the old ones to be picked up for no charge. Thankfully, it was early enough before we depart for the cruise that we were able to test them out. However, this got us to thinking about the additional batteries that we were going to be renting from oximedical. I called our rep at oximedical and asked if we could get the rental batteries delivered a week before we departed so we could make sure they work. Oximedical said no problem and in fact are delivering them 2 weeks ahead of the cruise. The rental price is the same. The rental price is $50 per battery for the entire time frame (will end up being 5 weeks by the time the batteries are returned).

I have to say I have been extremely pleased with the support from both Oximedical and O2 Concepts. I'll update the use of the machine and the Luggie scooter when we get back. We depart in 15 days. Aloha!!!

It is a GREAT idea to double-check ALL supplies well in advance of when you need them, especially to be sure that the batteries hold a charge and last as long as they are supposed to. Having an external charger is also VERY helpful, especially if you need O2 24/7. I would charge one battery with an external charger while using my POC plugged in whenever possible to conserve the battery for when I was away from a power outlet. This allowed me to remain pretty active while using my oxygen as prescribed.

Hope you enjoy the concentrator.

Personally, I love the Respironics EverGo because on a setting of 2 pulse, it will run for 8+ hours; add a spare battery with an external charger and it lasts me a pretty long time. The thing I'm not so fond of is that it does weigh about 10+ pounds, even though it does have a wheeled cart.

With the cost of renting O2, sometimes it seems like a good thing to consider purchasing; some companies will give you credit toward purchasing when you've rented from them. It's important to weigh the costs vs. benefits for your situation to figure out what works best.

Good evening....so a quick update on the Oxlife POC. It arrived as scheduled. We ordered the package that had 4 batteries included. However' date=' it turns out that two of the four batteries were bad. They would not take a charge. We had also bought a desktop charger. This turned out to be really helpful in determining the problem. I called oximedical and told them the problem. They called the manufacturer and someone from the manufacturer called me. I then put him in touch with my mom so she could tell him exactly what was happening. This was on a Friday (the machine had arrived on Thursday). He asked her to mark the batteries and then check them out in the machine and desktop charger so it could be determined if it was the machine or the batteries. He called her back on Saturday (from his home not the office) to check on the status. He also gave her his direct line in case she had any questions. It turned out that we got 2 bad batteries. So, he arranged for 2 new batteries to be delivered and the old ones to be picked up for no charge. Thankfully, it was early enough before we depart for the cruise that we were able to test them out. However, this got us to thinking about the additional batteries that we were going to be renting from oximedical. I called our rep at oximedical and asked if we could get the rental batteries delivered a week before we departed so we could make sure they work. Oximedical said no problem and in fact are delivering them 2 weeks ahead of the cruise. The rental price is the same. The rental price is $50 per battery for the entire time frame (will end up being 5 weeks by the time the batteries are returned).

I have to say I have been extremely pleased with the support from both Oximedical and O2 Concepts. I'll update the use of the machine and the Luggie scooter when we get back. We depart in 15 days. Aloha!!![/quote']

I'm glad your experiences with them have been positive ones. My DH's unit had an issue and they were super-friendly and truly helpful (and insisted he keep the loaner for several weeks until we were comfortable that the unit repaired was OK).

Hope your cruise is WONDERFUL!!!

My mom told me yesterday that she is finally starting to get really really excited about this trip. She was holding back because she was really nervous about the oxygen issue. She said, "I should have known better. I should have known that you would do all the research and get it all figured out for me. That I'd have nothing to worry about."

That was the best gift she could ever give me.

Look out Hawaii, here we come.

• 2 weeks later...

The oxygen concentrator takes the place of the liquid oxygen used at home. You do not refill it, it generates (concentrates) air with more oxygen from the ambient air. You will need to find out if that will be adequate for your Mother's needs, day & night. We just ordered an Inogen One which is supposed to be ok for day and night use, but I would not leave that to chance. You may have to spoil the surprise in order to have her test out equipment and/or ask her doctor to help you. Since my husband only needs O2 for exertion, and not for sleep so far, the Inogen one should suffice, but we are getting it early and testing it out to make sure. Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

It's best to try out whatever equipment you're thinking of buying BEFORE you commit to it, to avoid an expensive mistake. Some places will let you "rent to own," or just have a short term rental so you can confirm that the equipment will meet your needs.

Please also be sure that you have an agreement about how your equipment will be serviced, who pays for any postage, whether there will be a loaner when you equipment is serviced, whether there is any charge for the loaner and how much the charge will be. All of these questions are best answered IN WRITING before you pay the $3000 to $5000 that it costs to buy one of these machines and needed batteries and chargers. I like having a charger that plugs into the wall as well as one that plugs into motor vehicles and one that COULD be used on airplanes.

Personally, I am most interested in the GoLOX system by Respironics, that will MAKE your oxygen overnight that you can use in the carrier during the day while you're out and about. To me, it's the best of all worlds, but liquid O2 is NOT allowed on airplanes.

Yes, my dad has one and he is bringing it on his first cruise this Thanksgiving. My stepmom also uses oxygen but does not have a POC. She spoke to her doctor about it and he said he would order one for her to take on the trip.

We were going to rent an Inogen One for a 42 day trip to NZ & AUS and found that the rental was close to the purchase price so we purchased it & enough batteries for the longest leg of the flight. Jerry has tried it out on our walks and it works great. We can recharge it in the airport if need be. Fortunately J only needs it for exertion & not while at rest. Inogen rep was the most responsive of the three companies I contacted. And they are Made in America! Won't know until we are back in March if there is any downside to this machine, but all the airlines approve it onboard and so does Celebrity.

I am so sorry for the delay in posting after we returned home. I had typed out a big long review and hit some button and all was lost. It was a bit of a crazy time after we got home...again I apologize!

So, here's the deal. The POC worked fantastic. We decided to buy instead of renting first because the cost of the rental was going to be almost half the cost of buying it. Yes, we could have received a credit of our rental towards the purchase but it was only 25% of the rental cost that goes towards the purchase. Which in the end would have made the total cost of rental + purchase more than the original purchase price.

We bought the Oxlife Independence package that included four batteries. We also bought a desktop charger. We ordered it early enough to test it out before we left for the trip. Two of the four batteries would not charge so we had to have two new ones shipped. Additionally we rented four more batteries. So, we had a total of 8 batteries (this machine takes 2 batteries at a time) for the trip. This POC is approved for airline travel and can be used in the car. It does not charge off of the car battery BUT it can be used in the car and does not run down the machine batteries. We packed all the batteries and required cords in a rolling backpack. This worked out perfect. That many batteries and cords can be heavy so the rolling backpack was a great solution. It wasn't too big yet easy to use in the airport.

We had a limo pick us up at my house. We plugged the Oxlife into the car lighter for the trip to the airport. We got to the airport with plenty of time to spare. Mom used the batteries in the airport. We liked this machine as it works on both pulse or continuous flow. For the most part while we were traveling (in the airport and on the airplane) she used the pulse flow. If she had to have it on continuous flow, we would have had to rent more batteries. The POC is easy to pull or put on a wheelchair, if needed. We had a wheelchair assistant who helped us through security. This made it much faster going thru security. We changed the batteries the first time while we were at the gate waiting to board. Then we had to change once while in the air. The POC was easy to maneuver onboard and to put under the seat in front of her. When we arrived in San Francisco we had a car service pick us up. Again she plugged into the car as we headed into the city.

My mom had pre-ordered an oxygen concentrator for the hotel room (the night before we boarded) and also for one in the room on the ship. She wanted the one in the cabin because she didn't want to have to pull the POC around with her (especially if she had to get up in the middle of the night). I think she would now agree that she didn't need it and could have worked with just the POC.

I had also brought a power strip along for use in the cabin. This is a must! You can't use an extension cord but a power strip is ok. We were able to plug the desk top charger, the POC, the in room concetrator all in at the same time. The batteries can be recharged in the machine - goes quicker if the machine is turned off so we were able to do that when mom used the in room concentrator. We also rented a Luggie scooter. This was the BEST scooter that we saw on the ship (and there were many). She received tons of compliments on the scooter. It was small enough to get around the stewards' laundry carts. The only issue we had with it was it would get "hung up" (high centered) on the ramp going out of the doors on deck 7. Other than that she could go anywhere with it. The POC that we had worked great with the Luggie. It stored perfectly under the seat of the Luggie and she still had room to put her feet on the Luggie.

If we were not getting off the ship, mom usually used the POC on continuous flow - however the battery life is quite short on continuous so we had to make sure that we had extra batteries with us. Or one of us would run back to the room to pick up batteries if needed.

The one thing that mom doesn't like about it is the noise level. She is self conscience how loud it is. We've told her that it's okay and people will get used to it. We are working on that. :)

On our return trip home, we did the same - plugged into the car on the way to the airport. Additionally, we were at the airport for a while so we plugged into a wall outlet at the airport while we waited to board. This time we had the Luggie with us so we did not need wheelchair assistance. It did take us a bit longer to go through security as they really checked out her Luggie.

She has used the POC since she's been home. It's so nice not to have your activities dictated by the amount of oxygen you have or have left. She used to plan her day at our house based on her oxygen. Now she can come and spend the whole day because she can plug into the car and then to the house when she gets here!

If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll be happy to answer them. Again, I apologize for my delay. I forgot to mention that my mom ended up with bronchitis on the ship and had to have breathing treatments in the ship's medical center for two days. The doctor just unhooked her oxygen tubing from the POC and plugged it into the wall. She seemed to be doing really well the day we got home, but then ended up in the hospital after we got home. She was only in the hospital for 4 days, but that is part of the reason why I didn't get this posted until now.

Thanks to everyone who helped with my research...in turn I'd like to help anyone as much as I can.

Thanks for getting back to the boards. I am booked on a cruise for 14 days and need some questions answered from someone who has been there. I need oxygen 24/7. I will rent a concentrator for the room and am researching a POC but you mention a luggi scooter. Where did you get this? Was it a rental and if so from where and was it expensive. I am finding the cost of the rental equipment costly and don't know if it is worth it. Any kind of help would be appreicated. I don't fly but travel by car is easy. If you run into a problem there are all sorts of remendies on land but in the middle of an ocean??? I don't want to be stuck in my room all day and night because of the POC.

I am glad your Mom is better. Did she regret going since she got so sick? Thanks.

Kit

Don't know anything about scooter rentals, but agree that costs of rentals can add up. Before you buy any oxygen equipment, it is best if you can see if you can try it out to be SURE it meets your needs and keeps you adequately saturated (with O2). Some machines are significantly heavier than others, some have longer battery life than others as well.

If you are thinking of buying any equipment, be sure you understand how and where it will be maintained/serviced and whether you will get a loaner if there is any problem with the unit ASAP. Also be sure you know who pays for postage, repairs, etc., so there aren't expensive surprises.

Since you need O2 24/7, you need to be very sure that whatever you get will meet those needs. Your current O2 supplier may be able to help you set up your travel needs. A device like the GoLOX by Phillips Respironics would be ideal, IF your cruise company will allow you to use it. It is a concentrator and makes liquid O2 and has a container you can use the liquid O2 with when you're out and about. The liquid O2 is very light and easy to carry around to wherever you want/need to go. It is my favorite form of O2.

If you need to fly to your destination, you need to use a POC or rent/get O2 from the airline or whatever company the airline specifies. I only have personal experience with the Respironics EverGo and Sequal Eclipse and will happily answer any questions about those to the best of my ability. Have flown with both and had no problems with TSA.

I agree that having a wheelchair attendant supplied by the airlines helps reduce walking and reduces the flow rate you might otherwise need for your O2 if you were walking all over the airport WITH your luggage.

We rented the Luggie from the Scootanywhere.com. Both the owner, Don, and his son Brian were excellent. We rented it for 16 days and the cost was $579. Originally we were going to have it shipped to our house early - it would have had to have been shipped 3 days earlier - adding costs - but Brian lives close to San Fran so he offered to bring it down to us at the hotel. He met us at our hotel and went over the operation of it and how to fold it down. He was going to meet us back at the pier when we returned from Hawaii, but we decided to keep it for the trip through the airport (as we had a difficult time securing a wheelchair assistance at the airport on the way out). He shipped the packing box to my house then we shipped it back to him when we got home. The Luggie folds down really easy and weighs appx. 40 pounds so it is portable, but not featherlight. It was easy for me to handle, but my mom could not handle carrying it if she was alone.

As I said before, it was so easy to manuever and get around things in the hallway. On the last night my mom was even able to manuever around all the luggage in the hallway. It went into the cabin without any problems as it is not very wide. I believe it has a weight limit of either 250 or 300 pounds. My mom weighs about 110 so it was not an issue for her.

My husband has agreed to rent a Luggie the next time we go to Disneyworld. It will work really well since we can fold it up and take it on the tram from the parking lot to the entrance.

We may consider buying one as my husband's mobility becomes an issue. We did think about buying this one but we decided not to spend the money just yet.

Give Don a call and he should be able to answer any of the questions. Check out the scootanywhere store online and there are videos of the three different scooters that they offer.

The costs were quite a bit when you add it all up, but we just decided it was "the cost of doing business" in order to complete my mom's bucket list of getting all 50 states completed. The POC purchase was definitely worth it as she will continue to use that. She is now able to fly or drive whereever she wants. The cost of the Luggie is one that we will probably invest in down the road.

To answer your last question. No, she does not regret going even though she got sick. She had a good time and has always wanted to go to Hawaii. Although I'm pretty sure she may not cruise again. However, as she becomes more comfortable with the POC, that may change. I know when she first started on oxygen she didn't think she'd be able to go anywhere and over time she has realized that is not the case.

One more thing...we had to fax her oxygen prescription to the cruise line ahead of time so that the rental unit could be delivered by the rental company. I also took copies with us to the airport for the airline (and I had to let them know in advance as well). Oh yes...the tubing with the rental unit was waayyyy too long. It was hard to get around because there was so much tubing. She could go all the way out on the balcony two cabins down without an issue. On the one hand that is nice, but on the other hand it was somewhat dangerous. The one night she woke up and was having a hard time breathing so we called 911. As we waited for the paramedic to arrive, we saw that her tubing was kinked and she had not been getting oxygen for almost 3 hours. So, we unkinked it and the paramedic checked her out. All was okay, but I don't think it would have been kinked if the tubing wasn't so long.

I was on the phone with them today & now I am debating whether to take this cruise or not. The concentrator for the room is 318, scooter 348 which I thought was a good price but the POC was over 600 and you had to ship it back to them when you got home and that is an additional 100. So roughly for a 14 day cruise it would cost an additional approx 1500.00 to go. When I thought about renting or buy my own POC and if something goes wrong with it while at sea I don't know what I would do. Special needs said they have back ups on the ship but only if you rent from them. Does anyone have any suggestions or am I just too paranoid about this? Thanks for listen.

Kit

Archived