Not thrilled with being forced to pre pay tips for My Time Dining

I booked a January cruise a week ago and requested MTD. The agent told me about pre paying tips but I assumed that meant just the dining portion and was upset when I got my confirmation. I posted on the boards but most people seemed to think it was no big deal. Money wise it isn't as you'd pay anyway. However, like others, I do object to paying "tips" on a service 3 months before you have received the service. Call it a matter of principal. Had I known ahead of time, I may not have booked this cruise, and it will be a factor in deciding future cruises. I was even tempted to try and get gratuities removed completely, but then I'm getting at the staff for RCC's stupid policies. Anyway, it left a sour taste in my mouth.

You should be able to recind on your choice and pay as you go, or at the end of the cruise. As has been said, it's not a "service charge" as of yet so it still is considered a TIP. Like you a I feel that the $$ is not the issue. It's more than a fair amount that they ask for. I just like to tip servers myself.

On our last cruise we met several people who were first time cruisers and had done MTD.

They all vowed never to do it again as they were now obliged to give a full tip to their waiting staff etc., who did not deserve it.

I know that on a previous cruise I had hairs in my feed one two separate occasions - are you telling me that that waiter still deserves a tip?

Yet, as we were on MTD he still got the tip, despite this.

Is that correct?

I have two issues with prepaying the tips for MTD.

The first is that you cannot use OBC to pay for them. Why should you have to pay 90 days out? It makes no sense.

Second, and this was only a problem for my last cruise, it was very inconvenient that the room steward was also prepaid. We are a family of five who booked a quad room. My daughter was booked with her grandparents as a third passenger, but stayed in our room - yes all five of us were in there. With prepaid tips - I think my inlaw's room steward got the tip for my daughter, even though he didn't "take care" of her.

We put her slip in our steward's envelope, but it had her booked cabin number on it and I highly doubt he was going to see the money. We gave our steward some extra cash to cover my daughter just in case, but it doesn't seem fair that the other steward got something for nothing.

The appropriate person received the tip.

The pre-paid vouchers are provided because some people like to have something to hand to the staff (especially when the cash tippers are handing out envelopes). However, the staff does not have to hand them in to collect their tips. They will receive the tip anyway - RCI divides up the tip properly and distributes it to the appropriate people regardless of whether or not they received a voucher from the passenger.

Just booked first RCI cruise and had to pre pay tips. I have sailed CCL, NCL, and Holland and tips are added to the sail and sign card every day so i really dont see much difference. The Question i have (dont flame me) is if the service was horrible could you ask for you tips back or cotest your cc? I really think i'ts kind of coll to start the cruis with a zero bill. On all my other cruises i pay the auto prepay amount puls a little extra cash for the ones that go over and beyound.

On our last cruise we met several people who were first time cruisers and had done MTD.

They all vowed never to do it again as they were now obliged to give a full tip to their waiting staff etc., who did not deserve it.

I know that on a previous cruise I had hairs in my feed one two separate occasions - are you telling me that that waiter still deserves a tip?

Is that correct?

I know you and many others will disagree with me, but you asked a question and I´ll give you my opinion on it.

I think yes it is correct the waiter got the tip. The way the system is set up (and it´s debatable if it´s the right way or not) the recommended tips are the salary of the waiter. So I think they deserve this tip for doing their job. Excellent service and over the top stuff then deserves what you would normally call a tip. In other words I don´t even see the recommended amount as a tip but a service charge.

As for the hair in the food. Yep it´s disgusting but not necessarily the fault of the waiter. Sure the waiter needs to make sure your food in perfect condition, but unless it was hairs right on top and visible on a first glimpse, I can´t see the waiter going through your food to see if there´s a hair somewhere in there.

How did the waiter deal with the two incidents?

Is that correct?

Was it the fault of the waiter that there were hairs in your food? Was their presence so obvious that he or she should have seen them, or did you find them while you were eating? More importantly how did the waiter react when their presence was pointed out? Did you receive an apology and an offer to bring you something else? If so, what more do you think should have been done? If not, I hope you mentioned the situation to the head waiter and on your guest satisfaction comment card.

Most people seem quite pleased with the service that they receive in MTD and some believe that the best servers are assigned to this section of the dining room. You, and the folks you mention, seem to be in the minority but if so, perhaps the tipping issue is sufficient to convince you that traditional dining is the right style for you. Of course you might still experience poor service or hairs in your food in traditional dining. I don't think either is specifically confined to MTD.:rolleyes:

Is that correct?

To think a waiter should not get a tip because you have hair in your food is not fair. That is something that the waiter had no control over. Unfortunately hair in food sometimes happens careful as we try to be. I am an extremely clean cook and I have found hair in things I've prepared.

Now, if the waiter refused to replace the food after you brought the hair to his attention then I would not want to tip him. But I cant see that happening at any restaurant land or ship.

• 2 months later...

Well just to let people know...I complained to Royal Caribbean about being put on a waitlist for early traditional dining and then having to pay my tips in full before I sail and lo and behold I was no longer wait listed for early traditional dining. I booked way in advance and the ship was not full at all...I am willing to be put on a waitlist and pay my tips up front if the ship is trully full, shame on you Royal Caribbean

Archived