Sun Princess to enter the Japanese market

It seems Princess are going to a lot of trouble to customise Sun Princess for Japan, I note that cruises for 2013 in August and September now show sold out, so maybe they plan to extend the Japan season. No mention anywhere of what has happened to the circle pacific cruise Sun was scheduled to do. What has happened to anyone who had booked that? Seems world cruises are getting harder to sell, P&O UK also cancelled Azura's proposed world cruise for 2013. Just hoping Fremantle isn't abandoned, although I note the cost of the cruises has risen substantially since Princess first started doing its seasons in 2008.

This is also on the Princess board...

Looks like Sun may be staying up there if all goes well.:eek:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1607916

Princess created a new division, Princess Japan, and will base a ship there (the Sun) and market it in Japan. Staff will be bi-lingual in Japanese and onboard accounts will be in Yen. The ship will be modified to Japanese tastes, as will be the food.

why should they do that as its only another cruise

It depends...the new Princess smoking rules are partly due to OH & S, but if they are adapting for the local (Japanese) market then...smoking is far more prevalent in Asia than other markets.

Just wondering especially if Sun Princess is remaining in Japan permanently and it looks likely that is what is happening.

I loved Japan and would consider flying to Japan to cruise more ports there but the smoking would be something for me to consider.

Sue

It depends...the new Princess smoking rules are partly due to OH & S, but if they are adapting for the local (Japanese) market then...smoking is far more prevalent in Asia than other markets.

Just wondering especially if Sun Princess is remaining in Japan permanently and it looks likely that is what is happening.

I loved Japan and would consider flying to Japan to cruise more ports there but the smoking would be something for me to consider.

Sue

if the new smoking rule is ok for everyone else why should the Japanese be different....surely there maybe other international visitors on the cruises too

if the new smoking rule is ok for everyone else why should the Japanese be different....surely there maybe other international visitors on the cruises too
I can not see them changing the smoking rules for the Japan market in light of the cruise fires we have had just in this year alone.

Hmmm, does anyone else think it's no coincidence that Sun Princess leaves Australia/commences sailing in Japan in April 2013, and a month later the new Royal Princess starts sailing? Do you think they'll just shuffle the fleet so they can enter a new market with their oldest ship (Japan), and they might move a bigger ship here to replace her (and to take on the impending competition from RCCI and Celebrity)? Diamond Princess has always been popular here. Grand Princess is the same age as Sea Princess and at 109,000 tonnes, it could be Princess's answer to the competition...

I dont think its coincidence, rather the business evolving.

Princess are putting their "toe in the water" for the Japanese market to see how it goes. They have access to better port facilities up there now and Diamond has been doing a lot of Asian cruising. With the new terminals in China, Hong Kong and Singapore coming on line , Princess could very well base Daimond and Sapphire in Asia, while leaving the Australian market to tough it out and tender ashore in Sydney .

There is all ready a cruising base in Japan eg Asuka, but it is more of an upmarket product. It will be interesting to see if the Japanese flock to the mass market style of cruising as we have .

Hmmm, does anyone else think it's no coincidence that Sun Princess leaves Australia/commences sailing in Japan in April 2013, and a month later the new Royal Princess starts sailing? Do you think they'll just shuffle the fleet so they can enter a new market with their oldest ship (Japan), and they might move a bigger ship here to replace her (and to take on the impending competition from RCCI and Celebrity)? Diamond Princess has always been popular here. Grand Princess is the same age as Sea Princess and at 109,000 tonnes, it could be Princess's answer to the competition...

I hope you're right,finetuneit! And they can base it in Brisbane! LOL. :)

I hope you're right,finetuneit! And they can base it in Brisbane! LOL. :)
Well, it might be the answer to that TBA booking at the OPT in Sydney. Of course, this is purely speculation on my part (that booking could be anything).

Archived