Dig @ Atlantis?

krysteen83

Ok, So I will be in Nassau on 5/9/2012 (cruising MoS RCI). We planned on visiting Atlantis, but just the DIG area, and the lagoons. My mother, who is going with us, REALLY wants to visit the dig, so it's important that we go. However, I would like time to visit other places too, Fort Fincastle, Pirate museum, Queen's staircase, etc. And I thought I had the day figured out already, but booking with the ship for 5 adults ($59)and 1 child($49), that will be $285!! For 2 1/2 hours?? :eek: AND there is only one time for the ship's excursion, 1 p.m. (which isn't leaving a lot of wiggle room in my planning)

I know that sometimes you can get a wristband from Atlantis, just for the dig. I heard they are $35 for adults and $25 for children =$165 which is a great savings to us.

Does anyone know what my chances are to get one at this time of year?

Will we have to go first thing in the morning to get a wristband? Or would we be able to go later in the afternoon?

How much will a cab for 5 of us be?

Thanks for any help you can give! :)

Ok, So I will be in Nassau on 5/9/2012 (cruising MoS RCI). We planned on visiting Atlantis, but just the DIG area, and the lagoons. My mother, who is going with us, REALLY wants to visit the dig, so it's important that we go.

However, I would like time to visit other places too, Fort Fincastle, Pirate museum, Queen's staircase, etc.

And I thought I had the day figured out already, but booking with the ship for 5 adults ($59)and 1 child($49), that will be $285!! For 2 1/2 hours?? :eek: AND there is only one time for the ship's excursion, 1 p.m. (which isn't leaving a lot of wiggle room in my planning)

I know that sometimes you can get a wristband from Atlantis, just for the dig. I heard they are $35 for adults and $25 for children =$165 which is a great savings to us.

DIGS passes thru Atlantis are $39 and $29 for kids. But there is a slight difference. The Cruise ship pass includes a guided tour and allows access to a limited area of the ground for viewing sealife. The DIGS pass allows only the DIGS and Predator Lagoon.. you are not allowed on the rest of the property . This includes a guided tour of the DIGS, but not access to the grounds

Does anyone know what my chances are to get one at this time of year?

Should have no problem getting a DIGS pass, they rarely are restricted.

Will we have to go first thing in the morning to get a wristband? Or would we be able to go later in the afternoon?

You can go whatever time you want.. mid day is very crowded, so it's not ideal for viewing

How much will a cab for 5 of us be?

Cab from the pier is $4 pp. plus $1 toll plus tip.

Thanks for any help you can give! :)

Hope this helps.

Thank you Scubagirrrl. You always give good answers.:) We are trying to decide between doing the "Digs" Tour through the ship or do a snorkel excursion. I was under the impression that you were able to see more of the resort through the ship tour than doing it on your own. You just confirmed that for me.

I know I can snorkel anywhere and the Digs is unique to Nassau, but we really like to snorkel. We will also snorkel in St. Thomas off a beach. We will have to decide if a catamaran snorkel tour in Nassau would be worth missing the Digs. We have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii. But since we live in Arizona, we only get to snorkel during about one trip a year & that is only if we choose a warm water cruise! I snorkeled in the Bahamas only once before and that was years ago. I am wondering if I will be disappointed in the quality of the reef and sea life compared to other snorkel trips.

I guess I am blessed that these are the kind of hard decisions I have to make!

Thank you Scubagirrrl. You always give good answers.:) We are trying to decide between doing the "Digs" Tour through the ship or do a snorkel excursion. I was under the impression that you were able to see more of the resort through the ship tour than doing it on your own. You just confirmed that for me.

Yes, but only a small part of the property.. not enough to make it worth while. you can't roam around the grounds, see the pools, or beach.. it's just a small part just outside the aquarium door, leading to another entrance. This wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

I know I can snorkel anywhere and the Digs is unique to Nassau, but we really like to snorkel. We will also snorkel in St. Thomas off a beach. We will have to decide if a catamaran snorkel tour in Nassau would be worth missing the Digs. I guess I am blessed that these are the kind of decisions I have to make!

Keep in mind that the DIGS is just one big caribbean aquaium.. (it's not fish from any other area.. just local species).. and the DIGS' viewing windows are just different views of the same aquarium.. So it gets redundant. If you've ever been to a big aquarium.. this one wil disappoint. It's fine to keep the little ones occupied for a bit.. but I wouldn't miss a real life experience for it

Look into:

www.seahorsesailingadventures.com

www.flyingcloud.info

www.blueholewatersports.com

www.stuartcove.com

Thank you, scubagirrl. I am relieved to know that the DIGGS pass will probably be available. That way, we can head over first thing in the morning and get that out of the way and still have plenty of time for a somewhat "real" experience in the Bahamas for the little time that we have. Since the ship doesn't leave port until midnight, we should have time to do plenty. What time do you recommend tourists should head back in, for safety purposes? At dark? We don't plan on venturing too far from port...

Thank you, scubagirrl. I am relieved to know that the DIGGS pass will probably be available. That way, we can head over first thing in the morning and get that out of the way and still have plenty of time for a somewhat "real" experience in the Bahamas for the little time that we have. Since the ship doesn't leave port until midnight, we should have time to do plenty. What time do you recommend tourists should head back in, for safety purposes? At dark? We don't plan on venturing too far from port...

I wouldn't recomment wandering around after dusk (6pm.) Most everything shuts down at 6pm.. Nassau will be a ghost town with the exception of the wharf. After 6.. take a cab if you leave the port area.

Atlantis is a beautiful resort, and "The Dig" certainly adds to it's ambiance. As far as aquariums go though, it's definitely not worth the money! I've been to quite a few aquariums and compared to any of them, "The Dig" was disappointing... and when I went there, it was free!

Atlantis is a beautiful resort, and "The Dig" certainly adds to it's ambiance. As far as aquariums go though, it's definitely not worth the money! I've been to quite a few aquariums and compared to any of them, "The Dig" was disappointing... and when I went there, it was free!

Thank you. Between your impression and Scubagirrl I am definitely rethinking our options. We may just go on a catamaran snorkel trip instead.:cool:

Thank you. Between your impression and Scubagirrl I am definitely rethinking our options. We may just go on a catamaran snorkel trip instead.:cool:

you'll likely see more variety of sea life on the reef than in the aquarium.

Especially coral heads, fans and sea plants. The aquarium has mostly fake corals.

you'll likely see more variety of sea life on the reef than in the aquarium.

Especially coral heads, fans and sea plants. The aquarium has mostly fake corals.

Scubagirl, if you buy the day pass to Atlantis for the waterpark and beach, does that give you access to Digs as well, or is that a seperate charge? Thanks

Scubagirl, if you buy the day pass to Atlantis for the waterpark and beach, does that give you access to Digs as well, or is that a seperate charge? Thanks

The full access pass. (runs between $120 -$135 depending on season) included the most pools, beach, waterslides and DIGS.

I can't make up my mind which tour to take; which one does everyone think would be best;....Discover Atlantis or Ardastra Gardens and City Tour??? thanks for your reply.:)

Since you asked. I'd chose Ardastra Gardens and City tour. Atlantis is just a hotel.. seen one, seen em all.

Went to Atlantis about 3 years ago around 8:30 PM after dinner. The Dig was free of charge by the time we actually got on property around 9:00.

Anyone know if this is still the case? We're returning to Nassau in October and will be with friends who are in that "gotta see it" camp.

Maybe that answer will help the OP and me, too!

Archived