Look at all these temptations:

pancakes

pizzas

hot dogs

burgers

pastas

carved meat

and the main danger is FREE ICE-CREAM!

Not even touching the abundance of all sorts of desserts, with or without sugar.

My waistline is always in danger on any cruise! And my common sense does not always win. Police refused to accept my numerous applications - in any country visited.

I keep coming back in the hope that something will change...

It's very unfortunate when the media puts out stories such as the one the OP mentioned. Of course things can go wrong, and there can be incidents of domestic violence, etc.

However, you're in an environment where there are a lot of surveillance cameras, and everyone who comes on board (crew and passengers) has been positively identified through a passport. You can't same the same for even a five-star resort on shore.

As others note, as long as use some common sense, you should be very safe on board.

Virtually every unfortunate thing that happens on a cruise ship gets reported -- not so for many of the far more serious things that go wrong every day in virtually every city. How many people got shot in New York City over the past seven days? How many on cruise ships? There are far more serious crimes per million people in any major city than in the cruising population at any given time.

Basic rule for cruise safety: Don't be stupid!

I would wager that even in a small town with as many people as on a typical large cruise ship there is more crime occurring during a similar time frame.

hello stanza,

along with fellow cruiser comments about being safe/ unsafe on a cruise ship.i agree that things can and will happen anywhere anytime anyplace, but i would think that you would be safer on a cruise ship than in your local neighberhood.unfortunately due to the low numbers of police and the unforgivable leniency of the courts,crime is out of hand in yours and my towns.and most of them get let off with a slap on the wrist

my wife and i have been on four cruises (5th this november) and have never seen or been bothered by bad behavour on our cruises.

i am australian,and whatever you do, don't take notice of the sensationalised dribble shows like 60 minutes or a current affair or such like put on television.week in and week out,theri are items on 60minutes and current affairs programs about bad neighbours, shoplifting,car dealers and roofers ripping people off,but never a good story about someone who has had something good hapen to them(o.k one story in 1000),they are full of bull--t,and only want to keep people hyped up to watch their shows,i don't watch their crap, my wife tells me about it

as one writer put it 'they only put the bad things, never the good'.

of course you have to be wary of where you are and what you do,even on a cruise,but if you do the right thing you will be fine

cruise on

Hi

I know most would not have seen it but Sixty Minutes Australia this week aired a rather damning story about things happening to people on board cruise ships and about how the investigation of any possible crimes committed on board may not be investigated by the police of the country from which the ship departed or where the event happened but by the police from the country of registration even when it is 000's of kms away.

Without getting into the detail of the sixty minutes story or its veracity, it has got me wondering... has anyone (particularly if a solo traveller) felt unsafe whilst onboard a cruiseship, or had something happen to them that required investigation?

I travel solo all the time and I've never felt uneasy on a cruise ship. I'm a firm believer in the 6th sense we all have that warns us of possible impending danger and listen to it carefully. One can encounter trouble anywhere so you just need to be aware and smart. I've felt more uneasy walking in a neighborhood grocery store parking lot in broad daylight than I've ever felt on a cruise.

As someone who had a degree in broadcast journalism, I often cringe at some of the stories I've seen aired. A couple of months ago, I turned into a program on ABC that was supposed to be about the Concordia. I had missed the first part (which I guess was mostly about the ill fated ship), but during the second half hour, there was a hatchet job about Carnival. If you had never been on a ship, the report would have probably have kept you from wanting to ever go on a cruise. I've been on six Carnival cruises and even though they were between 1994 and 2002, I can't believe that the cruiseline became what was depicted in this report.

I am in fear now. I think I will build an underground shelter and stay there. I will stock it with canned beans. That would be a rational response to irrational news stories.

Wait til you see the hard-hitting expose on the dangers of underground shelters . . . followed by the shocking report on the malodorous hazards of eating beans in an enclosed space! :eek: Film at 11:00!!

We have never felt unsafe but we don't do crazy things either. We have been cruising for 30+ years, have over 45+ cruises on 7-8 different cruise lines.

Generally most incidents that are reported involve excess use of alcohol.

We tend to cruise in off season, so don't generally cruise when there are a lot of kids on board. But I have noticed that sometimes parents simply turn their kids loose on a ship, not smart in my book.

A cruise ship is a like a small city. There are all kinds of folks on a ship, just like in a city. One has to use common sense.

I'm afraid the OP's question is like preaching to the choir. :) I suspect that anybody who felt unsafe on a cruise would give up cruising and then find no reason to visit a web site about cruising. :D

I'm afraid the OP's question is like preaching to the choir. :) I suspect that anybody who felt unsafe on a cruise would give up cruising and then find no reason to visit a web site about cruising. :D

You bring up an excellent point! People on this discussion forum are cruisers, not those who would not go on a cruise.

However, the people I talk to who don't want to go cruising haven't brought up safety as a concern. Their concerns are more that they will be bored, or feel hemmed in by being on ship, or get seasick, or a number of other reasons.

Archived